This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294522 by Hayden King
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm
The harmony vocals sound separated to me in this song, and I can't seem to make them blend in well.
Any tips?
"Used" - the first song in my profile songs.
P.S. I know that the keys and bass are a little hot and will be corrected
#294524 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Don't make people search for the song!
https://www.reverbnation.com/battlegrov ... 30060-used

The fuzzy intro to tube-brokenup-sound intro doesn't work well with the more jangly sound of the rhythm guitar in the song itself. The guitar is way loud to the vocals. Probably need to duck the guitar part based on the vocals.
For the harmony/backing vocals, are they doubled? If not, do that (record multiple tracks, don't just duplicate the track) and pan them 1/3-1/4 each side. Compressing the vocals a little will help them sit.
During the lead part the guitars and organ are competing for the same spectral range, and the cymbals get lost in the mix, too.
#294525 by Hayden King
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm
Thanks Mike. Yeah I thought since it was on my profile here, but you're right; the link is better.
I was hoping to avoid the multiple tracks since the costs are exorbitant in the studio but it looks like I'll have to.
I'll try that and more compression and fades.
Yes the keys are definitely too hot and mucking up the sound .
We all like the nasty guitar though so that will remain.
Thanks again for the advice.
Salute!
#294528 by schmedidiah
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 pm
studio schmoodio! send me a wav of each part and i'll mix that f#cker on audacity. more money for beer. :D
#294531 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm
Hayden King wrote:Thanks Mike. Yeah I thought since it was on my profile here, but you're right; the link is better.
I was hoping to avoid the multiple tracks since the costs are exorbitant in the studio but it looks like I'll have to.
I'll try that and more compression and fades.
Yes the keys are definitely too hot and mucking up the sound .
We all like the nasty guitar though so that will remain.
Thanks again for the advice.
Salute!

When you are in the studio, you should be laying down multiple takes of all the vocal parts anyway, so use two similar ones for the doubling.
As to the 'nasty' guitar - the problem to me is that its unrelated (soundwise) to the rest of the song. IF that same sound was on the main guitar in the song, then it would be fine.
#294532 by Hayden King
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm
I know I should be, but again the costs. We're doing 2 albums and he isn't exactly loaded so we have to make due and find ways. Luckily I pulled off my vocals in one take each, but he needs more takes so it adds up quickly. I will definitely spend a little time trying to match the guitars a little better though.
I'm hoping that the mastering will smooth things out enough to get by... yes we have that expense to add on and vinyl to press as well.
Hopefully 6 months from now there will be good product for sale.
Thanks again
Salute