This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294220 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:13 pm
A while back when things were tight I used to boil bass strings if they weren't too mashed up from fret interaction.

It definitely brought back some but not all "zing".
#294225 by schmedidiah
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:23 am
Adam Neely ( a very successful jazz bassist and youtuber) swears by it, so that's why I ask. i'm too lazy to try it, so there you go. :D
#294310 by Mordgeld
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 am
Planetguy wrote:
Mordgeld wrote:
I notice on my acoustic, I'm still getting the little bends in the higher strings at each fret. It feels rough when I run my finger down the string. If I go any thicker, I'm going to have trouble with full bends. I guess I just need to change them more often?

well, i'd say if you're bugged by whatever (intonation) problems presented by them being chewed on....yeah you'd want to change em more often. i'm sure i just stated the obvious. :D

I think I got it sorted. Noticed that I eventually severed the winding on the G. Put on a non-wound G. Seems to have cured the problem.

(edit for clarity)
#294311 by schmedidiah
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 pm
I bought a set of strings for my electric guitar once that had a wound g string and an unwound one. I told my neighbor at my lockout studio about it it and he said "yeah, you'll break that in no time" knowing that I play pretty heavy. I think it broke that day. Lasted one or two weeks. Oh well. :roll:
#294312 by Mordgeld
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:47 pm
I don' t play very heavy on my strings. It was the sliding over the frets for whole-step bends for leads that did it in for me. Glad I found this out in a practice setting.
#294316 by schmedidiah
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 pm
Mordgeld wrote:I don' t play very heavy on my strings. It was the sliding over the frets for whole-step bends for leads that did it in for me. Glad I found this out in a practice setting.

Yeah I actually think I bent it and plucked it to hard. :mrgreen: