This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294034 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 am
Lately I believe writing tunes for no audience is like a ditch digger digging ditches in the middle of the desert for no purpose..other than duping yourself into believing you are providing a viable product or service..to who though?
#294035 by MikeTalbot
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:57 am
I disagree. I never write for anybody but myself. That really drove my ex crazy by the way, but it works for me.

Most songs ultimately find a home - whether with some band or the other or with some project I'm working on. But regardless, when the muse brushes your shoulder, kiss her on the cheek.

Talbot
#294041 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm
No idea what you are intimating Dane. If a painter paints a painting that remains n his studio so no one else sees it, it's might as well have been trashed?
I write many songs that I will never play live - due to the complexity or multiple parts, or just not a 'live' song. Sometimes, I think a song doesn't 'cut it', and put it away. But I seldom write with an audience in mind.

Oh, wait a minute - I get it now - you used 'songs', but you were really talking about Vamp's going on and on with his crap that no one cares about or reads (except occasional that Ancient fukker guy).
#294042 by Planetguy
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm
I suppose it depends on your motivation for writing.

For some that might to get an "attaboy".... words of praise or the hope of "likes", "shares", or maybe even monetary compensation.

Others are motivated by the need and simple joy of creating. For some, that creating is who they are and they're going to do it whether it gets shared or not.

When a toddler sits down w some crayons... They're not doing it to share their work w the hope of getting an "attaboy".... They're doing it for the joy if it. Some people retain that, some don't.

And isn't that time better spent than zoning out in front of the TV ?
#294043 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:33 pm
always.
be.
improving.
8)
#294044 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm
I had ambitions to supplement my very meager milk check with some hopeful money to be made playing music again..When I was doing the self-employment thing the last 13 years I rarely thought about picking up a guitar..got rather rusty..but since retiring in Febr. 2018 I now have plenty of spare time to pick music instruments up again..shaking the rust off little by little..and in Febr. 2018 I set my sights on either busking for a little added income..or finding some players with similar interests..or writing tunes with this far fetched idea you could at least get 2 people to listen..sadly..even going to some open mics produced no audience to listen and finding a person to listen online is non-existant..it is as if you have to be a popular music group from the 70s or 80s or a current rap artist to get just one listener..if the audience is negligible at open mics and internet listeners are zero or 1 does it make sense if a guy is actually wanting to pad their meager milk check?
#294045 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Digging ditches in Arizona makes more sense..cause at least you get physical exercise plus you are creating one very fine ditch..creativity at its finest and lowest common denominator.. :lol:
#294047 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm
BestGuitarist wrote:Digging ditches in Arizona makes more sense..cause at least you get physical exercise plus you are creating one very fine ditch..creativity at its finest and lowest common denominator.. :lol:

this is probably a dig at me but it's so incoherent that I just let the intended insults fly right past me. :mrgreen:
#294048 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm
Well..just for your information..I thought about a lumberjack felling a tree in the middle of the forest rather than a ditch digger in the desert..and did the tree falling make a sound if nobody was around to hear it?..(other than the lumberjack)..schmed you are probably the most popular musician here based on likes shares listens comments..so dont know why you would think that?..
But then again..PushaT gets millions of music fsns so it does give us pause as to why society is so different than 50 years ago and why tastes in music seem so flippant to me at leadt..
#294049 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:51 pm
i'm the new PushaT 8)
#294050 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 pm
Alright since my incoherent thoughts are not communicating as desired..I will put it another way..if a Pink Floyd or Foreigner or Black Sabbath come onto the scene today and tried to break into getting listens by posting on social media would the quality of their music guarantee them at least one listen?..or would their music be scorned by the youngsters today?..since it is blues based rock music for the most part..music not desirable today except with the old people today..they still sell pretty good but not by the kids today.
8)
#294051 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:10 pm
kids? not really, but look at the White Stripes (Jack White)/ Black Keys. they found a way to market it to a young generation. not quite the youngest generation or the largest group of fans, but these days you find a niche, exploit it and make your money or you fail. people will steal digital music. that's a given, for 2 decades now. find the success stories and copy their strategy.
#294052 by Mordgeld
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 pm
schmedidiah wrote:kids? not really, but look at the White Stripes (Jack White)/ Black Keys. they found a way to market it to a young generation. not quite the youngest generation or the largest group of fans, but these days you find a niche, exploit it and make your money or you fail. people will steal digital music. that's a given, for 2 decades now. find the success stories and copy their strategy.

Wearing lots of makeup or costumes seems to be a recurring strategy. I suppose that helps when you get old.
#294054 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:05 pm
A facebook friend who posts with him singing to karaoke in his home whom I have an understanding we will eventually work together in regards to cover tunes told me the kids today want SCREAMO genre of vocals today..his beautiful voice is out of style in todays world..noise ro c k rules.. :P
#294055 by DainNobody
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:25 pm
I went one time believe it was Dec.18..here is the latest open mic and as you can see..no audience and if 1 or 2 patrons show up they generally phuck around with their phones..lol
Apathy at its finest
Love the place but to do an open mic thing to nobody is crazy..
https://www.facebook.com/51683986549689 ... 008503850/ :roll: