This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Let your thoughts be heard about the latest news and gossip in the music world.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#13324 by RhythmMan
Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:25 pm
This is a link to a Yahoo news story appearing 10-9-07:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071009/en_ ... cists_dc_2
an excerpt:
. . .
The survey, contained in the November issue that hits newsstands next week, placed Rush drummer Neil Peart at No. 2, Creed frontman Scott Stapp at No. 3, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher at No. 4, and soft-rocker Dan Fogelberg at No. 5.

Blender assailed Sting for such alleged sins as name-dropping Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov in the Police tune "Don't Stand So Close to Me," quoting a Volvo bumper sticker ("If You Love Someone Set Them Free"), and co-opting the works of Chaucer, St. Augustine and Shakespeare.
. . .
LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

#13327 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 pm
You can crack on Stings' Lyrics all day long and at the end of that day, he could still buy 100 of YOU, individually wrapped for whatver he was into that night.

cannabalism
target practice
decapitation
gimp reinactment
torture
buried alive
You get the idea

I am not a big Sting fan, but he has the mojo. Who cares what he stole from whom..

Maybe 100 was wrong, maybe it was more like 1000 lol.

#13330 by RhythmMan
Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 pm
I agree.
I wasn't ragging on Sting - I was just posting a link to an intersting news story.
That's why this posting is listed under gossip . . .
I'm not in the habit of critcizing others; I thought it was interesting; thought others would find it interesting too.
And - I would never have come up with their top 5 . . .
Last edited by RhythmMan on Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#13332 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:39 pm
Yeah it's like critics are not what you would call accurate. lol

I know my next time around, I want to be a weatherman, as they can be wrong all year long and still have a job.

#13335 by RhythmMan
Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:46 pm
Yeah; no statue will ever be raised to a critic . . . .

#13337 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm
LOL We made one once, it was paper machete and it resembled a giant hand with middle finger extended.

#29325 by Andragon
Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 pm
Bullshit.. Sting isn't the worst.. all the commercial rappers win the prize there.
And Stapp isn't a bad songwriter.. he's a jerk, n tries to sing like Vedder, but he wrote good lyrics.
#29339 by koolmom78
Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:29 am
Andragon wrote:Bullshit.. Sting isn't the worst.. all the commercial rappers win the prize there.
And Stapp isn't a bad songwriter.. he's a jerk, n tries to sing like Vedder, but he wrote good lyrics.

I'll agree with you there! Stapp's songs are deep, spiritual and differ significantly from song to song whereas Nickelback's lyrics, IMO, leave a lot to be desired...as I've said before, I like their sound, but not their lyrics. They are repetitive and un-original. I find that this happens to me often - I'll hear a band or song & get a good feeling from it and think "hey, this sounds good" but then when I actually listen to the lryrics it's a cryin' shame such a good song is wasted on crap words...Just my 2cents. ;)

#29357 by Andragon
Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:32 am
hmmm.. I'm not sure, but there are good Nickelback lyrics as well.. Never Again is bout a household filled with abuse.. some of the songs are down right dirty rock, which is fun to jam to.. Someday is bout dreams and promises.. Should've Listened is bout a shocking break up and advice given to you.. and so on.
Oh, and Side of a Bullet was supposedly a tribute to Dimebag (RIP), but I think they could've done better =/

Point is, there are different levels and variation in their lyrics, and that's why I like the previously mentioned tunes :D

#29380 by koolmom78
Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:56 pm
Yeah, I know the songs :) My husband likes Nickelback, has all their albums and will be the first to defend them! ;) Those are good songs, I agree...but I just find that the lyrics seem to repeat themselves on each album, yk? In comparison to say...Metallica (since they're a big influence of thiers) whose lyrics & sound both have changed significantly over the years. (Some would argue for the worst, but I'm just trying to illustrate my point)

#29384 by HowlinJ
Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:39 pm
There is a lot of Sting music that I don't particularly care for, but "Mercury Falling" is one album that I find myself listening to quite frequently. I never tire of it. Great songwriting and performance.

#29407 by Andragon
Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 am
koolmom78 wrote:In comparison to say...Metallica

Errr.. do you really wanna compare those two?
haha I mean, they're not even in consecutive leagues.
n I think, personally, their "evolution" throughout the 25 years was absolutely great.. I can't say I didn't like one album that was put out by them, with the exception of the St. Anger, for well known reasons :P

#29542 by philbymon
Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 am
When I hear a great melody, I get all riled up to hear & learn the lyrics. More often than not, I'm disappointed these days. It seems that this side of the song-writing equation is all too often ignored for the "groove" & song writers seem to think a simple slogan will do instead of well-crafted &/or clever lyrics.

If I never hear "Roxanne" or "Don't Stand..." again, it will be too soon...I hate Sting's lyrics - these songs, & many of his others, are perfect examples of how someone can take a good line, lyrically, & beat you to death with it. I'd rather listen to a McDonald's commercial cuz it makes more sense, & has more thought & effort put into it.

Why do ppl continually leave songs incomplete? And more importantly, why do the audiences stand for it? I think the average Joe only has the attention span of a gnat, sometimes...give him something to think about & you lose him. But give him a 3-second line that repeats endlessly, & overplay it on the radio/tv, & he will grab onto it with everything he has, no matter how much it turns his mind to mush.

Thank heaven that the music industry has pretty much forgotten Sting, or has he just quit recording this drivel? Last time I saw him on tv, he was trying to play a lute, & failing miserably. I don't miss his sorriness one lil bit.

Besides, there are way too many "songwriters" trying to follow in his cloven hoofsteps, so it's like he never left.

#29581 by Starfish Scott
Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:08 pm
average joe with a 3 second line = hook

#29624 by Irminsul
Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm
philbymon wrote:When I hear a great melody, I get all riled up to hear & learn the lyrics. More often than not, I'm disappointed these days. It seems that this side of the song-writing equation is all too often ignored for the "groove" & song writers seem to think a simple slogan will do instead of well-crafted &/or clever lyrics.....

There ya go! I agree wholeheartedly. Melody and chordal integrity/catchiness are the lost art, and sorely need to be brought back into music in general. I've even noticed that in modern classical music, where the trend seems to be "I'll be dissonant and noisy in order to appear cool and avante guard, but that is merely covering for the fact that I have no solid ideas."