This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293631 by Planetguy
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:12 pm
schmedidiah wrote:so.....is this guy gonna lay down some sweet baritone sax on my tracks or what??? :D

well, he's not too tech savvy....you know, being born around the same time as AV.....before they invented electricity. and the wheel! :lol:
#293632 by schmedidiah
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 pm
Planetguy wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:so.....is this guy gonna lay down some sweet baritone sax on my tracks or what??? :D

well, he's not too tech savvy....you know, being born around the same time as AV.....before they invented electricity. and the wheel! :lol:

:lol:
#293635 by Planetguy
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 am
"And life is so short, put the present time at hand
Oh yeah, and if you're young at heart, rise up and take your stand"
#293641 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm
Hey whatever you say Pg, I know your right, (or will harp for days until you think you've convinced
everybody, including yourself that your right), I believe your story.

I made observations similar to ones you've made, but your the one who has got upset and calling names.

You guys look old. I am old, but I roll out of bed early, and work out 6 days a week. You can say whatever
you want about my looks, but work out like I have the last 10 years and you too can have supreme
confidence in your appearance. It's really not that hard.

You seem to only welcome comments that fit in your mind as good.( Read your own comments).

No hate here I feel neither a liking or a disliking for the various groups you play in, you always sound
pretty generic, not good or bad, just another old man band I wouldn't walk across the street to see.
I wish you nothing but continued success at the venues you entertain at, they're not the kinda places
I hang out at. I'm tired of the old man groups, let's hear something new.

Pg go ahead on about how you perceive my appearance to be, and keep up the name calling, I really
get a laugh out of it, puts a smile on my face. :D
#293645 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm
you're funny, AV.

the ONLY reason we're talking about appearances at all is because that's what YOU brought up. And you"re STILL wanting to talk about it!!!! :lol:

I don't usually put up music threads (with or without videos), and expect the only topic of conversation to be about appearances. :lol:

And yet, here you are, two pages into this thread, and you're still going on about it!!!! And STILL with nothing to offer about the actual MUSIC played!

Trust me, unlike your obsession w appearances, i couldn't possibly care less about your's! I only brought it up because YOU did, preferring to talk appearances over music.....and I still think that's damn funny. so, believe that my nose is all out of wack because you didn't give me two thumbs up if you need to, and because that fits YOUR narrative. Truth is, i just think you're funny, and how you've chosen to play this is equally amusing to me.

Now, if you have anything to say about the actual MUSIC or anyone's PLAYING that you liked or disliked.... PLEASE weigh in on THAT if you can get past ranting on about appearances and age. (really, my ego CAN take all the music critique you or anyone else has to offer up.....same as it ever was)

or you can keep talking about how old we look. :roll:

BTW....straight ahead jazz and the "hard bop" we mostly play.... IS "older music".

It's been around for awhile. Seems like you miss the point....No one is trying to reinvent the wheel when playing this style of music. It's about the songs, and hopefully some good playing from the people playing them. No Lasers. No smoke bombs. No on stage dancers.

If that's too "old" and ho-hum for you, if you don't like it, fine.....but it's a "time honored" (haha) music that's still around and loved by many. And it has an audience because it's still relevant to many people. It's serious music and it's not necessary to "entertain' by jumping around and putting on a show when played for audiences that know and appreciate that genre of music. In other words we're not playing Mustang Sally or Three Steps so the "performance" is the music. Not a bunch of musicians jumping around on stage w orgasmic R&R faces, putting on stage moves, headbanging, and trying to look "entertaining".

Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea for sure, and if you can't get past how old some old musicians might look....then here's a good chance your shallow obsession w appearances might cause you to miss out on some good playing (just like you've missed out on from that of my bari playing bandmate...a perfect example).

It seems sad to me that such shallow and superficial thinking might take precedence over the MUSIC played....and worse, from you, an actual musician???? Damn, son.

For the record....none of that is said because I can't take criticism...just trying to educate you on something you appear confused and/or ignorant about. 8)
#293648 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:
I made observations similar to ones you've made, but your the one who has got upset and calling names.

No, you're twice incorrect. I'm not upset. And I called you no names. You, however started the conversation like this...

Ancient Vegan wrote:
You guys are comical

and now you're pointing a finger at me for starting things??? and for name calling that never happened?

You guys look old. I am old, but I roll out of bed early, and work out 6 days a week. You can say whatever
you want about my looks, but work out like I have the last 10 years and you too can have supreme
confidence in your appearance. It's really not that hard.

Thanks for the advice on feeling better about my appearance and staying in shape!!!

It seems we've not met. Is that possible? Hi, Let me introduce myself....I go by Planetguy here, and I work out five times a wk at the gym, and still manage to play sports regular like, when i'm not rehabbing my shoulder. I'm 62, 6' tall, and as of this AM weighed in at 185. I wear pants w a size 32/33 waist. Ya know what? I'm not really troubled by any real body issues. Lucky me, I'm not really bugged by a lot of physical deformities. :wink:

Hmmmm, but maybe, just maybe...IF I can bump my gym days into SIX days like you...then i could feel better about my appearance! yeah, yeah....gon' get ME some a that there SUPREME CONFIDENCE, for reals y'all!

AV, you've confused MY interest in your appearance, and age with YOUR..... ahh, I don't want to say seeming obsession, but instead, let's say... your highly developed importance that you seem to place upon such matters. Regarding my interest, and the importance I place on that when listening/watching music.....well, I sure as $hit would never go on for two pages w/o ever addressing the actual music!

You can say whatever you want about my looks....

Sorry, I'm not interested in saying ANYTHING about your looks. Never have been in the what ....eight yrs i know you. No need to start now.

And for no extra charge I'll also continue to refrain from going on about what I believe YOUR shortcomings might be.....unlike how you swing, right? Because you do like doing that. So, there's no reason for me to expect you to change it up now. As you like say "(read all your posts)" or "( Read your own comments)"

Pg go ahead on about how you perceive my appearance to be, and keep up the name calling, I really
get a laugh out of it, puts a smile on my face. :D

See above you, _____________!!!!! (Oh, lookie...i STILL haven't called you any names!)
#293658 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm
For somebody who didn't have much to say, you sure went on about it Pg.

I didn't think saying you guys looked comical was calling names.
But calling someone chump right out of the gate was.

I watched the video with no sound, per your suggestion.

Hey and thanks for the self critique of your own body. (Alittle much wasn't it, who you trying
to convince me or you?)

Not my cup of tea, but if you keep putting videos up, I'll say what I want about them

Don't get your panties in a wad Pg.

It's all good.
#293665 by Planetguy
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:For somebody who didn't have much to say, you sure went on about it Pg.

who? ME??? Not having much to say????? :lol: yeah, let me introduce myself again...i go by Planetguy here! :lol:

I didn't think saying you guys looked comical was calling names.

technically it is NOT . but when a conversation begins THAT way, saying someone "looks comical" ....it's usually not meant in any kind of positive way, and likely what follows will not be positive either. It has the whiff of you coming for me, and leaves me to wonder if you're missing having your daily go-rounds w Haley, Yod, Glen, Dane, Vamp.....

But calling someone chump right out of the gate was.

except i never called you a chump. I asked you not to ACT like a chump. big difference. not unlike if i said i thing your'ACTING like an arsehole vs. saying you ARE an arsehole. get it?

Planetguy wrote:Don't act the chump. friend.

that's not calling you a chump.

I watched the video with no sound, per your suggestion.

wtf are you smoking dude??? i never suggested watching w sound off! where in f**k did you ever get that into your head???? :roll:

Hey and thanks for the self critique of your own body. (Alittle much wasn't it, who you trying
to convince me or you?)

don't need to convince anyone. but, yeah.... kinda creepy and unsettling when guys in their 60's go into detail about their physical attributes, isn't it? I'm glad you at least got that point. good takeaway. :wink:

so spare us details of what great shape you're in, and I'll do the same. whatya say? deal, tough guy?

Not my cup of tea, but if you keep putting videos up, I'll say what I want about them

well this IS a discussion board and that
s how it's supposed to be. but know that if your discussion includes little to content about actual music being played or musicianship and instead focuses on clothes or how old people look.....i in turn will say what I want w regards to how i goofy i believe that be. 8)

Don't get your panties in a wad Pg.

hey, i knew i shouldn't have gone into that much detail about my physical attributes......cripes, now you're going on about me in my panties.

It's all good.

yes, it certainly is. 8)
#293667 by Mordgeld
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 pm
I am getting a fair bit of jazz technique served to me within my music theory lessons. The instructor is definitely not an oldster. Also, one of my favorite metal guitarists has a degree in jazz and regularly plays it on the side. It may not be my taste in music but it is not necessarily an old man's game. I do try to be entertaining when I play, but I'm not in the same venues as PG. Good stage shows have their place if that is what you are going for. They try to keep me on a short lease at acoustic gigs where a mellow demeanor might be more appropriate.
#293670 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 am
oh my....what's this??? someone who wants to discuss some music $hit???? why...yes, thank you very much.

here's how i look at it. i always wear the best, most appropriate foot gear for the situation. that just puts everything...on good footing,

...as it is w your presentation when "performing". clothes, moves, etc.
cos' like everything else, there are visual expectations that we've come to expect w certain genres.

schtik that would be perfectly right in a speed metal band would look pretty damn goofy coming from from young or old cats playing straight ahead jazz!

and jazz is embraced and played by plenty of young people. how could that ever NOT be the case??? For anyone serious about moving towards mastery of music, their instrument, and improving their understanding of theory.... there are few paths (i can't think of any) that don't lead to or at least through jazz.

i totally agree... stage show, showmanship/entertaining is a huge part of most musical performance. and it's obvious enough where that's so. and when the type of music is about the music being PLAYED... then that takes total precedence.

I think it's funny imagining how Miles, Herbie, Chick, and more modern day people like Sco, and Metheny would come off w them trying to be more "visual" w more big and physical "stage moves"....it cracks me up to think what that might look like!

same for classical music. i like to see emotion and the concentration that serious classical players bring to their work/art. but imagining them w bigger stage moves?....nah.

I've always been about "playing real" while " on stage". i move when things are feeling good and making ME move. and i smile and show myself to be having a good time WHEN I AM. Lucky me, that's always been just the tkt for 95% of the situations i've been involved with.

I'm lucky that i've been able to keep a jazz band that only does a handful of R&B vcl tunes working steady (and getting paid) in MID FRIGGIN' MO. And work steady we do. But I came up playing rock and have far, far more rock gigs under my belt than jazz. same w country gigs. I've never been a shoe gazer but i never put on a "show" either. is there anyone who can't tell someone is putting on "show"? that's always been a bit of a turnoff for me.
#293671 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm
The rest of the guys in your band might look old, but you go on like a old woman.

I could tit for tat you (like you do), but it's just not worth it, this is the problem with our country
today. Hardly any face to face interaction, and everybody reads this dribble, and hears the garbage
on TV differently. My read is totally different then yours Pg, semantics, your the one who first wants
to attach what I smoke to crack. Semantics, you need a singer as good a writer as you are, lay some
lyrics down, they ain;t got to be true. 8)
#293678 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:44 pm
nah, i'm never embarrassed by having something to say. nor having the means to say it. and what artist should be?

AV, as competitive and as combative as you are...if you had the SKILLS to go tit for tat w me you would in heartbeat. :wink:

you make silly claims that show you to be off in la la land. the crack comment....you really can't figure out where that came from? really?

how about looking at your very first sentence? then show me even ONE time that i called you names. not just here.....anywhere. EVER in ANY thread. never happened bro.

and as for this moral compass BS you like to toss off, if i was the moral compass around here i would have weighed in on what you said to Haley that sent him packing.

confused as you often are, i'm guessing you know i never did. and believe me i do have some thoughts on that piece of work of your's, but i chose not share... because I'm NOT the moral compass around here.

so, understand that if i weigh in what i think is right and what i think is wrong...that's just what adults w opinions do!

but this needs to addressed...you think "the problem with this country"

this is the problem with our country
today. Hardly any face to face interaction, and everybody reads this dribble, and hears the garbage
on TV differently. My read is totally different then yours Pg, semantics, your the one who first wants
to attach what I smoke to crack.

first off.....what i WANTed was a conversation about music, the song, maybe a question or two about the venue, and oh yeah....maybe a comment/question about the Bari playing...other than "how old is HE?" who gives a flying f**k? well YOU do obviously! but that's what i expected when i posted this thread.

yeah, no argument...YOUR read IS completely different than mine!

so, as to semantics and hearing things differently...of course that's always been the way, whether the mssg is transmitted and rcvd via a forum on the internet, or sitting next to someone and conversing. Misunderstandings, misinterpretations, and differing opinions formed on what's been said will always abound, and there'll always be people interpreting things differently.

But i know that what's in our hearts plays a damn big part in how we interpret things.

You alluded to some sinister purpose that i had for starting this thread......and then, what, you backed off? Did you forgot your train of thought? Was that all you had, and you never really had some sinister intent to attach to my motivations for starting this thread? Or did you read my explanation and accept that because, yeah, well, DUH ....that does make sense! (?)

See if you always think the worst, and suspect someone of dastardly ulterior motives....(really what we're talking about is a lack of trust in the other's character)...man, if that's where you're always starting from...how's THAT ever going anywhere good?

There's people on here, AV who I would without hesitation refer to as "lovers" whose hearts are clearly filled w the right stuff. Does anyone think that of you? Sorry if that sounds cold, but....

Ok, we've both said our piece. i don't need the last word here...so, if you have anything else you want off your chest, do it now. cos' i'm done wasting time on this.

when you have something musical to talk about...let's just pick it up there, shall we? :D
#293680 by Mordgeld
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:26 pm
Planetguy wrote:oh my....what's this??? someone who wants to discuss some music $hit???? why...yes, thank you very much...

I try.

Planetguy wrote:...schtik that would be perfectly right in a speed metal band would look pretty damn goofy coming from from young or old cats playing straight ahead jazz!...

I remember a band in the 90's out of PA named Exit 13, that did Grindcore (speed-metal, but faster) blended with old rock-n-roll and jazz with a left-wing slant to all their lyrics. (mostly ecocentric) Formed by the founder of Relapse Records, iirc.

Planetguy wrote:I've never been a shoe gazer but i never put on a "show" either. is there anyone who can't tell someone is putting on "show"? that's always been a bit of a turnoff for me.

Just like becoming a musician, it takes practice to become a convincing entertainer. I remember what helped me a lot was something Ozzy said about how he does shows. When you play, you don't look at the whole crowd, you pick out individuals and look at them. Just for that moment, you're playing that show for that one person. This makes it much more than just an act or a play to the audience and helps connect you to the audience so that putting on a "show", as you say, does not look contrived.
#293681 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 pm
ahhhh, you do better than "try", morg!

and it's good to know that with our different political leanings we can still reach across the aisle in agreement about overcooked greens.

so, that makes two things i'm grateful for and can appreciate!

zeroing in on one (or "a few" if you're like me w borderline ADD) folks in the crowd.....yeah, i was lucky enough to figure that one out early in the game. and i know it likely sounds judgmental, but using that to pull off looking "sincere" when you're in "entertainment mode"....for me, that's still.....acting,

i'll focus on someone who's digging it on whatever level and take a measurement of the level of communication from that interaction. playing restaurant gigs where there are folks who clearly aren't there for the music (yes, it DOES happen! :lol: ) veteran players don't take that to heart too much, but instead focus on the ones who maybe didn't come for the music but are digging it anyway. that's what i do for those kind of gigs. so, that's another thing i'd hoped to discuss or share....guess i did somewhere above in all that mess....this video was shot at Rocheport General Store in the tiny town (pop. 100?) of Rocheport MO. It's a great listening room, when it's not a great partying room, and often it's both.

It's an old mercantile store from the 1800's w high ceilings and challenging but rewarding acoustics when you have it dialed in right. With a smaller and mostly quiet listening crowd of 25-30 people we really had a good blend going on in the room, and man-o....when that's all sounding good and everyone/everything is just the right volume w "gold tone".... it feels like there's little you can't do. You just have to THINK of it!!!! Yeah, there is THAT. 8)
#293682 by Mordgeld
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:55 pm
Planetguy wrote:...zeroing in on one (or "a few" if you're like me w borderline ADD) folks in the crowd.....yeah, i was lucky enough to figure that one out early in the game. and i know it likely sounds judgmental, but using that to pull off looking "sincere" when you're in "entertainment mode"....for me, that's still.....acting,...

You actually do have to connect with the audience and perform sincerely. It is not a gimmick that you use to avoid that. This technique is just a great way for someone that is maybe not naturally an extrovert to become comfortable as an entertainer to better engage the audience and fans.

“If you're going to be a ****ing rock star, go be one. People don't want to see the guy next door on stage; they want to see a being from another planet. You want to see somebody you'd never meet in ordinary life.”

― Lemmy Kilmister