This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293269 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:59 pm
RhythmMan-2 wrote:.
Yep.
So - okay - what style(s) of music did you play in the first 2-3 years you were playing.
And what style(s) do you play now?

First 2-3 years? Ages 15-17. 'Classic rock', whatever was easy to play on acoustic. 'Heavy metal' back then was Led Zeppelin!

Now - "acoustic-electric folk-rock".
#293276 by schmedidiah
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:51 pm
let's hear some of your stuff RM2. you used to post it here to engage discussion. I always found it interesting.
#293281 by RhythmMan-2
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm
schmedidiah wrote:let's hear some of your stuff RM2. you used to post it here to engage discussion. I always found it interesting.

I've some songs posted on my page.
I started with hard rock and heavy metal.
Then I played hard rock and originals, played a lot with a local drummer.
I liked most music.
I liked to listen to:
Beatles, Yes, Santana, Blues Brothers, Leo Kottke, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Brian Setzer, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Skynyrd, Credence, Alman Brothers, Jeff Beck, Mamas & the Pappas, Aerosmith, Beethovan, ELP, REM, Frampton, Grover Washington, Sade, Tangerine Dream, C S N & Y, Cheryl Crow, Enya, Duran Duran, Strauss, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Madonna, Pink Floyd, 3 Dog Night, Doors, Depeche Mode, Queen, Cars, JJ Cale, Jethro Tull, K.T. Tunstal, Peter Paul & Mary. . . many, many others.
Then I eventually went on to write and write and write . . .
All that influenced my writing, which tends to blend genres . . .
unusual styles of jazz, folk-rock, boogie, blues, finger-picking. . . . many crossover styles, my own styles . . .
Some of the songs have multi harmonies, many have unusual rhythms or chords. . . . not many "cookie-cutter" songs . . . I just wanted to hear new styles of music . . .
#293421 by RhythmMan-2
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 am
So anyway: I started with rock and metal, and now play originals almost exclusively, a blend of many genres.
Now I play folk/boogie/light rock/jazz/blues/funk . . .
But no metal or hard rock, any more.
#293425 by schmedidiah
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:57 pm
RhythmMan-2 wrote:So anyway: I started with rock and metal, and now play originals almost exclusively, a blend of many genres.
Now I play folk/boogie/light rock/jazz/blues/funk . . .
But no metal or hard rock, any more.

that's cool. but you could put all those styles together with the right instrumentation and production and come up with some tasty prog rock, which can be metal if you crank it a little. 8)
#293458 by RhythmMan-2
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 am
Yeah, I've recorded 4 albums of original songs - all sorts of styles. And I easily have enough additional material for another couple of albums. Some songs are kinda pop, some are kinda rock, some are kinda funk, some are kind of classical, some are kinda blues, some are kinda jazz . . .
. . . some of it could probably be termed - as you say - 'progressive rock' or maybe ' new wave' . . .
When someone says they like a song I performed, I'll ask them what style of music they would call it. And usually the answer is "I don't know; it sounds kinda like this and kinda like that . . ." People always tell me that I have my own styles, I play Alan Bradley.
I gave up trying to classify it.
My classification of any song is this: either I like it, or I don't.
:D

Nearly every song I write is a little bit different style from the last.
I don't want to play metal, or 'just another rock song.'
;)
I record on an acoustic guitar, for a clean sound; no distortion; that's what I now like to play.
#293463 by schmedidiah
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:30 pm
going through your songs now. the intro on Half Jazz Blues is kinda jacked. the hi-hat should not have a bass tone like that. but once the rest of the band kicked in it wasn't noticeable. I like the 3rd song Descending Boogie a little better and the instrumental in slot 2 was great.

*4th song (inst) is great too but I think i'd like to hear it fleshed out with a lead instrument making a broad, sweeping melody across the song, instead of all the instruments you have firing in unison as it is.
Last edited by schmedidiah on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#293516 by RhythmMan-2
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:32 pm
I know a lot of folks like the sound of just one lead guitar.
But, remember (among 100 other styles), I like jazz and classical music.
That's why I didn't want the sound of one lead guitar for this song.
You know how a lot of times a lead guitar will hit the wrong note, and quickly correct, lilting up or down?
I didn't want that for this song: the G&L bass does all the lilting for this song.
What I wanted was the hammer-on bass-line providing a backbone for several melodies, which would weave in and out of the song.
Listen to the bass - it plays in 3 different keys, and basically doesn't change.
And there's several melodies weaving in and out of that fast 12-note bass pattern.
The melodies utilized several different rhythims in the song, all fitting with the bass-line.
Until I figured out the timings for each melody, it was pretty hard to play without make a lot of mistakes.
. . . glad you're interested.
#293520 by Planetguy
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 pm
RhythmMan-2 wrote:I know a lot of folks like the sound of just one lead guitar.
But, remember (among 100 other styles), I like jazz and classical music.
That's why I didn't want the sound of one lead guitar for this song.

I love counterpoint and conversation in music. that's why jazz is my favorite music to play ( and listen to ) ....nowhere in any genre is there more "converstaion", and usually all the instruments are equal parties in the conversation, w everyone getting to speak their mind to some degree. that said, i'm NOT a big fan of Dixieland aka Trad or Traditional Jazz......WAAAAAAAY too much counterpoint and everyone yakking away at the same time w too little attention paid to hierarchy! I can respect the talent it takes to play that style, but after about five min listening to it i'm moved towards violence!

[quote}You know how a lot of times a lead guitar will hit the wrong note, and quickly correct, lilting up or down?[/quote]

um, no. happy to say i really am not familiar w that practice!

[quoteI didn't want that for this song: the G&L bass does all the lilting for this song.
What I wanted was the hammer-on bass-line providing a backbone for several melodies, which would weave in and out of the song.
Listen to the bass - it plays in 3 different keys, and basically doesn't change.
And there's several melodies weaving in and out of that fast 12-note bass pattern.
The melodies utilized several different rhythims in the song, all fitting with the bass-line.
Until I figured out the timings for each melody, it was pretty hard to play without make a lot of mistakes.
. . . glad you're interested.[/quote]

i liked the gtr(s) approach to counterpoint in this. they all were working together....not just a bunch of trks playing random ideas that had no relationship w each other. and nice the way the bass pinned everything down.
#293522 by RhythmMan-2
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 pm
[quote=". . . I didn't want the sound of one lead guitar for this song. [/quote]

I love counterpoint and conversation in music. that's why jazz is my favorite music to play ( and listen to ) ....nowhere in any genre is there more "converstaion", and usually all the instruments are equal parties in the conversation, w everyone getting to speak their mind to some degree. that said, i'm NOT a big fan of Dixieland aka Trad or Traditional Jazz......WAAAAAAAY too much counterpoint and everyone yakking away at the same time w too little attention paid to hierarchy! I can respect the talent it takes to play that style, but after about five min listening to it i'm moved towards violence!

I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT THOSE KINDS OF JAZZ. I DISLIKE MORE STYLES OF JAZZ THAN I LIKE.

[quote}You know how a lot of times a lead guitar will hit the wrong note, and quickly correct, lilting up or down?[/quote]

um, no. happy to say i really am not familiar w that practice!

YES, I KNOW, IT'S VERY RARE, NOWADAYS!

[quote
. . . glad you're interested.[/quote]

i liked the gtr(s) approach to counterpoint in this. They all were working together....not just a bunch of trks playing random ideas that had no relationship w each other. and nice the way the bass pinned everything down.[/quote]

YEAH, THAT'S THE WORD: COUNTERPOINT. AND, THANK YE KINDLY, SIR.
#293523 by Mordgeld
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:50 pm
RhythmMan-2 wrote:. . . You know how a lot of times a lead guitar will hit the wrong note, and quickly correct, lilting up or down?

Planetguy wrote:um, no. happy to say i really am not familiar w that practice!

LOL, You mean accidentals where the next note on the staff has the natural symbol next to it? ;)
#293527 by schmedidiah
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:41 pm
if you're not supposed to play bass like that.....it's news to me and i'm plugging my ears with my fingers, sticking out my tongue and yelling "NANNY-NANNY-BOO-BOO! CAN'T HEAR YOU!" If you can't happen to see me. :mrgreen:
#293531 by RhythmMan-2
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm
If I wrote my songs going by the rules of 'how you're supposed to do it,' I wouldn't have written many songs!
Heh, anytime I'm working on songs, if it starts sounding too much like something I've heard before, then I endeavor to change it.
. . . hopefully: for the better!
The reason I wrote that bass-line is because I never played bass like that, either: I couldn't.
I needed to learn how to do hammer-ons, so I experimented with it until I found a cool-sound riff.
I learned to play it because - at the time - I could NOT play it!
:)
It was a challenge, which worked out . . .