This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293336 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:36 pm
recorded with Tascam DR-05..sounds better in person..forgive the singing..but looks like solo act is best for upcoming gig at American Legion..that way you get to bring your own personalized and decorated custom tip jar.. :mrgreen: ..lots of self-serving asses forcing everybody to bring their own tip jars..it will be funny seeing a half dozen tip jars displayed :mrgreen: :)

https://soundcloud.com/dayne-nobody-iv/kustom-pa50-demo
#293341 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Congrats, Dane, you can carry a tune singing, a whole lot better than I can!!!! (that a pretty low bar, though!) :D

I love my DR 05. I can't think of a better music purchase I've made for under $100.

I am confused about your tip jar comment. if this is a deal where there are going to be different people performing at different times/locations...how could you possibly do anything OTHER than use separate tip jars?
#293343 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm
The event was offered to me many months ago..maybe couple years?..Jim Gilchrist who I know from attending consignment auctions @ Roberts Sale Barn on Saturdays asked me to come to American Legion ..to play with intention of it being an open mic..he is a member there and trying to get an open mic off the ground..I sloughed it off for a long time..no incentive money-wise..then after The current earlier than normal cold weather set in here in Southwest Mo. looks like Faron and I would need an indoor gig ..and since he has gotten fearfil of setting out tip jars outdoors due to permits required..I asked if he would like to join me at an open mic at Legion..unbeknownst to me he sorta muscles in on the phone with this Gayla woman who must be the manager and sets something up without my input?..he manages to get start time of 3:30 PM..manages to buffalo her to allow a tip jar..and I presume other amenities..after he called Saturday morning asking why I didnt show for the "open house" first event I told him too many unknowns....main thing is I am not goibg to be rude enough to ask what kind of deal he has cut..and Imma not nosy enough to ask.. hey bro? You splitting the tips?..so gonna make up my own tip jar and will not play backup guitar for him and wont allow him to play guitar on my tunes..if he wants to make it a competition then so be it...he is a pretty secretive dude..and an honest person would divulge all pertinent information..he doesn't seem to want to discuss ..so be it :roll:
#293344 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:05 pm
Everybody and everybody's situation is obviously different.

Me, I don't play with anyone I don't like, don't trust, and don't respect. And any all combinations of the above.

And, yes i DO realize how lucky I am to have that luxury.
#293345 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Whats strange when we were busking outdoors we always split 50/50 with exception one time I was setting up partially on his $15.00 spot at Butch's..we only pulled in 6 bucks.(would have no doubt pulled in more if we had set tip guitar case out earlier) so I said keep it all since I was trying to sell a few things myself using his spot..I just dont think I should have to ask him how or what kinda deal he setup with this Gayla woman at legion..he is just being too discreet..heck..for all I know he is the new "host"..and we all know there is generally something in it for the host if not for the open mic attendees..its sad that I never thought of it as a money generating gig..it was originally supposed to be a non-profit open mic..thats why I was not interested much..theres better free ESTABLISHED open mics at Bits of Britain and Krave and Moon City Pub that dont allow tip jars
#293347 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Anywhooos..
Songs I feel confident on playing guitar and singing at the same time..
1. House of the Rising Sun
2. Lay Lady Lay
3.Chattahoochee
4. All Along the Watchtower
5. When You Say Nothing At All
6. Please Come to Boston
7. Dust In the Wind
8. How Long Blues
9. Old Time Rock n Roll
10. Hotel California
11. Norwegian Wood
12. I'm No Stranger to the Rain
13. Melissa
14. Suzie Q
15. Atlanta Lady
16. I Got You
17. Kansas City
18. Johnny B. Goode
19. Leader of the Band
20. Memphis
21. Proud Mary
22. I'm A King Bee

And tunes having problems singing and playing guitar at same time

23. Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo
24. Little Wing (in places ok but stumped elsewhere in song)
25. Cocaine :oops: :lol:
#293349 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 pm
I've been out of NYC for a long time....I'm 62 and have lived 40 yrs out of NYC but it's likely that I will always be considered a NY'er by those who know that's where I grew up.

Part of that is that i tend to fall into that stereotype of what many believe all NY'ers to be....straightforward, tell it like it is, largely speaking my mind, and not mixing words.

I would point out that it's possible that by not just having a straightforward and honest conversation w this guy you've created a situation where you have jumped to some conclusions that may or may not be true. You're waiting for him to tell you how much he's getting but for all you know.....without you simply asking him, he's perhaps not "sharing" that info w you because he doesn't want to rub your nose in the fact that he scored a gig.

My two cents....I'd say it's better to just have a simple straightforward conversation w him and see where everything falls...who knows, you might come away w a better and more honest, straightforward relationship w this guy leaving the door open to working together in the future. Hell, if you're pissed off or hurt by his actions.....why not let him know that?
#293351 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm
Great idea...I am waiting for him to initiate..I am still thinking in the back of my mind he is testing me..but it still gave him no reason not to include me in the negotiations..I dint have conference telephone call ability..but I sure as heck would have met him there at Legion to discuss a first open mic they were wanting to try out..thats what I am upset about..who gave him the authority?..if he thought he was a better negotiator I could understand but to leave me out?..I never would have done that.. :roll:
#293352 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:46 pm
I get ALL that. and you're not wrong to be upset.

But don't be wrong about being the bigger man, the one making the effort to clear the air to move forward.
#293353 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm
Almost feel like telling him if he has got it in his mind that what's dropped in his tip jar stays in his tip jar that 1/2 of 40 bucks is better than 100% of $4.00..since I replied last telling him if I go I will need 1/2 the tips and other amenities if in your oral contract with Gayla..still silence..still crickets ..so I assume he has no plans of splitting anything.. 8)
#293354 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 pm
But that will not stop me from cutting one of those plastic blue barrels in half and making a super sized tip "jar" where the patrons can simply crumple up 5's and 10's and toss them in from 30 feet away..besides coinage..LMAO... :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
#293355 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm
Back on topic..who else remembers the Kustom padded bass amps and such from the 60s and 70s?..believe that company hailed out of Kansas..the new Kustom company is based out if Hebron, Ky.
Believe just the name licensing has bee acquired..now..a whole new company just using the bought name..the gear is now made in China and Powerwerks is same pa with just different badge..
#293356 by MikeTalbot
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 pm
See my FB page for a pick. I had a monster we called "Gorgo" with two cabinets each with three 15" speakers. Best of all it had a stereo switch which broke it into two amps and you can believe that came in handy. Made a decent cot from time to time as well.

Never really sounded all that great but got better when I pre-amped with an old Vox Essex.

Talbot
#293358 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Back on topic..who else remembers the Kustom padded bass amps and such from the 60s and 70s?..believe that company hailed out of Kansas..the new Kustom company is based out if Hebron, Ky.
Believe just the name licensing has bee acquired..now..a whole new company just using the bought name..the gear is now made in China and Powerwerks is same pa with just different badge..

Yeah, I remember those old tucked-and-rolled padded Kustom amps - the bass and keyboard amps were good, guitar ones not so much.

The China Kustom stuff has been around for quite a while, most sales through Guitar Center, I think. Sounds ok until pushed, then the harshness shows up.
I've heard a lot of people rave about those PA-50s for the price (you can often see them at GC for $90, and used to be $80). They have a battery-oeprated model, too, but it's over $200 I think. Of course no low end from the small speakers, but ok for guitar as long as you don't Drop D!