This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293153 by MikeTalbot
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:28 pm
Mark - that original stirred my blood. I didn't know whether to weep or reach for my sword! I confess I like that kind of music as much as I do symphonic metal, classical, and the Go Gos.

Talbot
#293160 by Planetguy
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:04 pm
Thanks Mike. I won't tell anyone if you shed tears WHILE reaching for your sword!

We have a few more of my JazzGrass tunes in that same vein that we need to get recorded, maybe at the next TPRC session.

In the meantime here's another orig, "Stronger Than You Know" in that same genre and instrumentation. (i can't remember if i shared this one already).

thanks all for checking the stuff out. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyhIsub54U
#293161 by schmedidiah
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 pm
another great video Mark, but i'm not hearing her percussive tapping or whatever the terminology is. you're facing the camera and hogging the soundtrack a bit. maybe move the camera person over to your right a bit.
#293162 by gbheil
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:26 pm
Almost neglected to peruse said original music.
Ghastly . . .
Not the music, the negligence.
The music put me in remembrance of hearing my son, and nephew playing tunes from the soundtrack of Master & Commander.
What a blessing ...
I'll want to listen again with my headphones for certain.
Bravo
#293179 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 pm
sanshouheil wrote:The music put me in remembrance of hearing my son, and nephew playing tunes from the soundtrack of Master & Commander.

hmmm. not hip to that, george. I'll have to check it out.
#293180 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm
schmedidiah wrote:another great video Mark, but i'm not hearing her percussive tapping or whatever the terminology is. you're facing the camera and hogging the soundtrack a bit. maybe move the camera person over to your right a bit.

EVERYbody is a critic! LOL. :D

Schmed...I take it you're referring to the earlier video "Here Without You"? Yeah, that RIGEL mando is a loud little guy. (Though not as loud as my FLATIRON)

The "clicking" you refer to is an accompaniment device known as "chopping"....really it's a "mando thing" where you pretty much mute the strings w your left hand (or let just a little pitch come thru) and it's meant to be "under" the solo instr in terms of volume. it's pretty hard to do effectively on fiddle but Sarah is quite good at it.

but i do agree, the mando IS taking up a lot of sonic real estate in the video....didn't seem to be the case when we were playing, but in such a tiny room and being filmed on a smart phone, well ...it's catch as can.

Sarah and I both give a lot of thought attention to our comping, and it's something we both really enjoy doing.... as opposed to some people who look at is a boring time killer til THEY can get up to the podium and they can solo!

Here's another tune....pretty loose but we're having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQgKiJPLmHc
#293184 by schmedidiah
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:17 pm
not a critic. I did like the post twice on fb and on yt too, so I don't dislike it. just an observation I felt could help with getting the gigs. break a leg (am I doing this right?) :mrgreen:
#293185 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:28 pm
i'm sorry....i was joking w tongue planted firmly in cheek w the "critic" comment!

you know...it was LIKE a joke....only not as funny. :wink:

schmed, i always appreciate your comments and support bro, and i respect you for telling it like it is. like i said, your assessment about mando volume IS spot on.

thanks, pardner. 8)
#293186 by schmedidiah
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:52 pm
#293189 by Mordgeld
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:37 pm
PG, I have experience trying to record/broadcast from a cellphone. I know, in my case, big sounds tend to run over the cell mic. If you ever want to upgrade a bit, it isn't too expensive. I use OBS studio (free) to record and broadcast live stuff. Any cheap USB stereo interface will do as long as it serves up phantom power. I got a Behringer C-4 twin small diaphram condenser mic set with the stereo mount. I'm pretty sure you can do this for under $100 and your recordings will be clean even at high volume in a small, hard-walled room.
#293209 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:17 pm
Thanks for weighing in, Morg. My gig is IN FRONT of the camera, not behind it. I'm not sure what stuff/programs/plug-ins Sarah's husband (our videographer) uses. For now these TPRC videos are just low tech raw footage shot w his phone.

For cleaner more produced video you might check the one posted in the other thread about what to use w videos to snag gigs.
#293212 by Mordgeld
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 pm
Planetguy wrote:Thanks for weighing in, Morg. My gig is IN FRONT of the camera, not behind it. I'm not sure what stuff/programs/plug-ins Sarah's husband (our videographer) uses. For now these TPRC videos are just low tech raw footage shot w his phone.

For cleaner more produced video you might check the one posted in the other thread about what to use w videos to snag gigs.

Sorry, I should have included that I plug an HD webcam into the computer (can use laptop, of course) and OBS studio has no problem integrating this. (up to two cameras, actually) The only gotcha I have found is that you need to properly set the latency for the audio so it lines up perfectly with the video. I just push the button to record and then edit the video later, if needed. I've also used it to take a series of pictures, say, one picture every 10 seconds. I'd be happy to elaborate in a private channel for you or anyone else interested in working up my solution.
#293235 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:28 pm
I much prefer Chris Stapleton's work from back when he was still a member of THE STEELDRIVERS over his solo stuff.

This is our version of their tune "Good Corn Liquor". I was trying a new gtr accompaniment on this take. And I'm STILL looking for the "right" way to play this song, but as they say, "it's about the journey and not the arrival". 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGQ5jURCRo
#293243 by schmedidiah
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:14 pm
whatever you're doing there seems to work Mark.