This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292782 by Planetguy
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 pm
GUILDS GALORE! Yes, Sarah and I are BIG fans of Guild guitars! For all you gear heads out there.....

Back row left to right 2015 F-130R, 1975 D-50, 1967 Starfire II bass.....front row 1990 Bluesbird, 1966 Starfire II, 1954 X-150 Savoy.

#292785 by Mordgeld
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:20 pm
They seem like really nice guitars. Can you maybe elaborate on why one might pick a Guild over some other manufacturer? Are they better for certain styles? For me, I wouldn't mind looking at their 12 string. I also like the look of the Polara on their website but would prefer solid body guitars in 25.5" scale. As for the Bluesbird, I'd have to lay my hands on one to compare to what I know. I've jammed with other guitarists that let me get hands on Gibson Les Paul, and ESP E-II Eclipse which seem similar.
#292787 by MikeTalbot
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 pm
Some nice looking instruments. Not my cup of tea really. I did own a Guild bass years ago (looked like an LP) but the neck wasn't long enough for me. I eat a lot of bananas so I need long necked bass guitars! 8)

Looks like you and your new musical partner are a duo made in heaven.

Talbot.
#292811 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 pm
Mordgeld wrote:They seem like really nice guitars. Can you maybe elaborate on why one might pick a Guild over some other manufacturer? Are they better for certain styles? For me, I wouldn't mind looking at their 12 string. I also like the look of the Polara on their website but would prefer solid body guitars in 25.5" scale. As for the Bluesbird, I'd have to lay my hands on one to compare to what I know. I've jammed with other guitarists that let me get hands on Gibson Les Paul, and ESP E-II Eclipse which seem similar.

Happy to give you my take. As I understand it, Guild was started up by some Epiphone workers back in '53 after Gibson bought the company and relocated.

Early on they strictly made archtop guitars which found favor w many jazz gtrsts who discovered they could get the same quality Gibson offered at lower prices. Guild cashed in on the folk craze of the '60's and started offering a pretty extensive line of flatops, both 6 and 12 string models. They were actually very popular among a lot of big name folks and their 12 string models from the 60's and 70's are highly sought after and thought to be some of the best 12 strings made......while still being available at affordable prices.

For me, they give me everything I look for in a gtr....playability, great tones, good looks, and affordability. They've often been referred to as "the poor man's Gibson", but i think you could also say they're "the poor man's MARTIN". The '75 D50 I own holds it own w any of the MARTIN D18's or D28's i've played.

Now, as for the Bluesbird.....that's a gtr that's been in a state of flux since it was introduced way back when. The version I have is a 1990 and was made while GUILD still made gtrs in Westerly Rhode Is. "Westerly" Guilds are highly regarded. The '90 that I own, and BB's from that era are semi hollow (chambered), have a Seymour Duncan SD 1 p/u's (medium hot but they clean up nicely when rolled back), the neck is med thick and has a comfy wide fingerboard. It really is a fun gtr to play. It is, Les Paul like but different enough.

There's an almost cult like following and devotion among Guild lovers. As much as I appreciate the good points of GUILD's that I mentioned above...I'd be lying if i didn't admit that I also like playing them because they're NOT Gibsons, Martins, or Fenders.
#292812 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:03 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Some nice looking instruments. Not my cup of tea really. I did own a Guild bass years ago (looked like an LP) but the neck wasn't long enough for me. I eat a lot of bananas so I need long necked bass guitars! 8)

Looks like you and your new musical partner are a duo made in heaven.

Talbot.

Thanks, MT. And of course...they ain't just pretty faces either!

Yeah, the deal w Sarah has just been a blast on so many levels. Her sense of adventure rivals mine! She suggested the other day we work up "I Love R&R" on fiddle and mando!!!!

So, w that instrumentation we've decided to fold it into a medley w "Play That Funky Music White Boy" and "Voodoo Child"! yeah baybeeeee!!! 8)