This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292705 by Planetguy
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:42 pm
So, yesterday I booked what is gig number six for the month of Nov for SARAH & MARK. We've been working steady and every cpl of wks finds us playing a new venue that we add to our stable. These have all been booked off the (cough, cough) "unprofessional" videos that were shot in my living room and on my porch using a cell phone.

These were really meant for temporary use until we got some live video at gigs which still hasn't happened yet. However, despite the sage advice of our now departed expert..... the response HAS been very encouraging and has put lots of gigs up on the calendar!

Here's the note I got last night....

Hey Mark. Trent from Elks Lodge. We would love have you come play for us. Love the videos. How bout November 24? Play from 5-8pm? What do you charge for 3 hours or we can do 5-7pm with 2 hours?
#292710 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:46 pm
Things are much different in Missouri, evidently. Lodges/Legions around here pay $150-$175 for 3 hour gigs on the weekend, except for special events. Bartenders work for tips (only) and the only person getting paid is the manager. Volunteers take out the trash (for a drink or two).
#292711 by Planetguy
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:18 pm
wow....that really stinks.

i don't usually like to talk money on a public forum but we're getting $200 for 2 1/2 hrs.

Bartenders working for free? Pretty sure that ain't the case at EAGLES, Elks, VFW, etc around here!

For those kinds of gigs it's pretty much $100 for ea band member around here (if you're up to four pcs, obviously they're not gonna do that w a ten pc band).
#292713 by schmedidiah
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:51 pm
While we're on the subject of lodges....can they survive? Any new blood coming in? My grandfather was the president of every lodge in town at one time or another. I've never set foot in one.
#292715 by MikeTalbot
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 pm
Mark

Good stuff pal. That girl gets it done on a violin so I'm just a bit envious - always wanted to play with a fiddler.

Plus I see you're wearing long pants - congrats dude! 8)

Talbot
#292731 by Planetguy
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:06 pm
Yeah, besides getting it done on violin, she's a really strong rhythm gtrst and has become a very solid bassist.

Her time is impeccable and she never rushes. We haven't done it w any of our duo tunes, but in MERE MORTALS, the band we play in... There are a few tunes where we're both playing arco (bowing) and that's big fun.

Don't be confused by my attire.... I might be wearing growed up pants but I still haven't grown up
#292732 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:37 pm
The Legion I used to go to had a fair draw of younger 30-something people, usually there to play pool, but generally it was older folks at the bar. Yeah, tips only for the bartenders - but they do alright that way, the beers are cheaper than regular bars.

As to band pay, its that way everywhere around here, unfortunately, hence the preponderance of solo acts or, for bands, trios.
#292740 by MikeTalbot
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 am
Mark

You're a lucky man, I had emails from my brother and another player in the last couple weeks complaining about a singer they struggling with who apparently cannot count to four. From the tapes I've heard, she can occasionally, just not consistently.

Talbot