This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#291480 by Cajundaddy
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:52 am
No mud bugs for me anymore. About 15 years ago I got the rash and Doc says shellfish are trying to kill me off.

A pretty good open mic is happening tonight in Riverside and some friends with talent will be there. Long day and early morning for me so I am in for the night. Weekdays I am up at 5am so it is tough to get out on the town with these ol' bones.
#291828 by Mordgeld
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 pm
Some pictures of me and the band at the open mic we dropped in on...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
This is my first time doing a fully acoustic performance in front of people. It was fun and they seemed to like it.

As for the locals, we enjoyed the music of one Michael Spencer Green...
https://www.instagram.com/msg_music/
#291980 by Mordgeld
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:I am always out playing, so I hardly ever get to hear anyone else. If I get any down-time, I sometimes go to open mics, and every so often I'll get to hear another busker. But that's about it.

Well, we aren't really a busking act. I've floated the idea of doing that. We'll see. We've had to pass on a few acoustic act booking opportunities as we are still working out doing the acoustic thing. It is okay to be a little rough at an open mic, but I don't want that for a paid gig.
#292025 by Mordgeld
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 pm
Played for some more people at a new place last night. I'm still working out the transition of some things from electric to acoustic for the "unplugged" thing, but it seemed to go well for us. There was a lot of different folks there. If you are on fb, here is the link for the whole thing:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=966503810201033&id=445361222315297&notif_t=page_post_reaction&notif_id=1538878979450582&ref=m_notif#!/story.php?story_fbid=312311762903558&id=1617989665109490&refid=52&ref=m_notif&notif_t=page_post_reaction&__tn__=%2As-R

Ugh, sorry for such an ugly looking link. We will be playing at a different place tonight. Wish me luck.
#292026 by schmedidiah
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:00 pm
ugh. 3 hrs. can you tell me when you play? :lol:
#292029 by Mordgeld
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm
schmedidiah wrote:ugh. 3 hrs. can you tell me when you play? :lol:

Heh, well I am illustrating the local ppl in this thread rather than just self-promoting, but you can find me around 1:40:00.
#292034 by schmedidiah
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Mordgeld wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:ugh. 3 hrs. can you tell me when you play? :lol:

Heh, well I am illustrating the local ppl in this thread rather than just self-promoting, but you can find me around 1:40:00.

Thanks. I'm truly limited on time, so that's why I ask. If the others on the bill participated here, I'd make time for them, but...
#292040 by Mordgeld
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 am
schmedidiah wrote:Thanks. I'm truly limited on time, so that's why I ask. If the others on the bill participated here, I'd make time for them, but...

No worries. Not being a person of perpetual butt-hurt, I realize people have different interests and expectations of my thread and their interests here. I'm happy to accommodate reasonable requests for information about music/musicians detailed here by me.
#292078 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 pm
Was in Fresno and Pacifica the last few days and heard a lot of.....bluegrass???

That's all the rage in Asheville....but when I get near San Fran I'm expecting more funk or even some rock...but bluegrass? Last night at Amnesia (San Bruno) they had a really great lineup from 4 local bluegrass bands that were terrific. (If you like bluegrass)

What's up with that, Morg?

#292079 by Planetguy
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:15 pm
where you been, ted?

bluegrass is big everywhere, not just only in....how'd you condescendingly put it.... "omfug, MO".
#292082 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 pm
Planetguy wrote:where you been, ted?

bluegrass is big everywhere, not just only in....how'd you condescendingly put it.... "omfug, MO".

I've been working too much, I guess.

Didn't know that Irish music had gotten popular in FunkyTown.

#292094 by Mordgeld
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:26 pm
There does seem to be a strong undercurrent of country music lovers out this way. I hear mostly the really old tunes out of performers around here. Multiple banjos at some of the open mics. I'm not a big fan of country or bluegrass, but I can appreciate it if done by a talented singer.
#292120 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:39 pm
Quite a bit of bluegrass up this way recently, too - but they don't come to the regular open mics, they have bluegrass jams. I know one that has to divide up into 2 or 3 groups because they have so many players.
#292161 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Quite a bit of bluegrass up this way recently, too - but they don't come to the regular open mics, they have bluegrass jams. I know one that has to divide up into 2 or 3 groups because they have so many players.

wow, that's just amazing to me. Bluegrass has snuck up on us and become a popular music?

Who'd a thunk it?

Personally, I listen to Irish music if that's the mood I'm in. It's more authentic.