This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#289987 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:46 pm
Nice. I've always liked the better Epi LPs with the coil-split feature. Calling it 'anniversary' is market hype though, considering its really the anniversary of Les's birthdate.
#289989 by J-HALEY
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:52 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Nice. I've always liked the better Epi LPs with the coil-split feature. Calling it 'anniversary' is market hype though, considering its really the anniversary of Les's birthdate.

Thanks Mike now I will have all three flavors Strat, Tele, and Les Paul even though it is an Epi I am still super duper stoked!
#289998 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 pm
I think my Epi LP plays as slick as my Gibson LP, just not as good a sound.

Isn't that the color of LP that Clapton gave George, and he played on the film
Let it Be some?

I love the saddles on those LPs you can play that end of the guitar somewhat.

Looks like a nice one congrats

I think the 4th flavor is Paul Reed Smith
#290034 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:37 pm
Epiphone struggled for a while with quality, but they seem to be doing better now. As the owner of a few Epis, I've got nothing against them - they offer a good alternative to too-expensive Gibsons, as long as the pickups sound good. I would like to change out the pickups in my Dot, but working on semi-hollow body guitars is a PITA, fishing the wires around, etc.
Chances are you'll need to do a set up on it, but that's easy on an electric unless you need to cut the nut grooves deeper.
#290038 by Jahva
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 pm
Oohh yeah Congrats and a Happy Guitar Day to you...
Very nice looking top... that's some old school Grover tuners there ...
I've a few Epi's... The Sheraton is my favorite... mine same inlay on the head stock and frets... they do a nice job over-all on their higher end stuff. Hope you get the sounds out of it you want... 8)
#290039 by Planetguy
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm
Nice looking gtr, Jeff! Congrats on the score. I was never big on LP style gtrs....I used to have an '81 "THE PAUL" that was a good player, but not my thing. Now I'm really digging that '97 Bluesbird (GUILD's version of an LP) that I picked up about a yr ago. (Love those Seymour Duncan SD1 p/u's)

Only thing that puts me off about your EPI are the aesthetics of those Grover Imperial tuning machines....IMO they look great on archtops (i've got a set on my PEERLESS Monarch), but to me they seem out of place on a solid body.

Hope it's everything and more for you! 8)
#290100 by schmedidiah
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 am
I have an Epi SG I bought new in 01 for about $400. It's decent but the pickups it came with can't play metal, only blues and jazz. I don't play it anymore because it feels very non-ergonomically designed. Playing a Fender feels right. The SG, not nearly as much.
#290101 by J-HALEY
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 am
Thanks so much for the feedback from all of you! That's what I was hoping for. I had a real Les Paul standard back in 1980 when they weren't so ridiculously priced. Sadly I had to part with it to pay the dr. that delivered my now 37 year old son. I remind him of that from time to time (jokingly). I have been playing Ibenez, Fender guitars and even had a PRS McCarty that cost 3K. That was the last time I will ever buy a high end guitar again as I didn't like it at all. Got rid of it after a little more than a year. A friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse on it and I made him take it back LOL!
Now I am playing in the format of 3 piece with lead singer and it works for me. Some of the covers we do really need a Les Paul. After a lot of research of playing on epi's at GC I decided on this one due to the upgraded pup's. It arrives on Monday I will keep ya'll informed with a review.
#290108 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:31 pm
Looks like they've upped the quality factor somewhat from the old days. Looking fwd to your report on how it sounds/plays.

I've owned Gibson & Epi LPs (Customs) and even an Electra MPC (remember those?). Yep, back in da day, played lotsa guitar, mostly in the country/rock vein. I liked the Epi, but it had stock tuners and pups, which I replaced w/ Schallers & Humbuckers. Also had it refretted and lowered the action. This was in the late 70s, when such work was still very affordable. Between the guitar and the work I had done, I had about $500 in it. I had paid $800 for the Gibson, but also had it refretted for another $150.

The Electras weren't great guitars, but the MPC modules provided the ability to emulate sounds you normally couldn't get from an LP clone. They were actually pretty good--when you could find them. Bought mine from my lil bro, but had a hell of a time finding modules. Now they're collector's items.

Do let us know how yours turns out. Looks like a good deal.
#290122 by MikeTalbot
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 pm
I've tried to like LP over the years and did have a LP Jr that wailed. Wouldn't stay in tune though. The necks just don't work for me although I love the sounds.

The first Gibson I've ever really liked is my Firebird. Maybe because I'm a bass player at heart but I love all that neck real estate. The pups are outstanding Played a couple years with a guy who used a PRS and was surprised at the sounds we got - so similar yet somehow unlike the usual LP / Strat blend.

Schmed - I had occasion to play both a Epi SG and a Gibson recently (friend is a collector). I have to say, the Epi was pretty darn un-inspiring. They looked the same and that was about it.

Talbot
#290134 by schmedidiah
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:01 am
Yeah my old guitarist had a special edition Gibson SG he bought from guitar center (they had mistakenly priced it way too low according to him). It played and sounded a lot better but that dog don't hunt for me. I'm gonna spend the difference on stomp boxes. 8)
#290146 by J-HALEY
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:47 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Yeah my old guitarist had a special edition Gibson SG he bought from guitar center (they had mistakenly priced it way too low according to him). It played and sounded a lot better but that dog don't hunt for me. I'm gonna spend the difference on stomp boxes. 8)

Those darn stomp boxes are an addition I know all too well. I have a pedal board that has over 2k of pedals on it just collecting dust. I keep it around in case I ever use my British made Blackstar Series One Fifty again. It is the best sounding amp I have ever heard.
Ever since getting the Helix I don’t use the amp anymore I keep it around as a backup. The Helix gets the exact same sound as well as any other sound one could want. A couple times a year Line6 releases a firmware update that gives you new amps, pedals and bug fixes that you don’t have to pay for that thing is simply amazing and the tones you can get are endless!
#290148 by Jahva
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:57 pm
Had an SG for a couple of years... hated the weight imbalance... heavy head-stock vs Body... but really cool natural distortion.
LP's feel right but are heavy as faq... one of the reason why I went with a sheraton still get that humbuck with a semi-hollow body.
Still miss my 79 custom though... was my first real guitar. Pawned many years ago. :?
#290253 by J-HALEY
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:59 pm
I finally received the guitar yesterday and wow it is stunning! Plays quite well the action is low and fast. Only thing is it came with 10 to 46 gauge strings, my preference is 9 to 42 I will be changing those before the two gigs this weekend. I was waiting to see if she is a keeper before ordering a strap and lock nuts. Did that this morning.