This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282094 by DainNobody
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Likes, favorites, plays, shares, do they mean anything at all? Taylor Swift has tons of fans and great sales but admits there is money to be made only by playing LIVE onstage touring.. She pulled her music off one of the streaming music services for awhile anyhow.. And using this analogy Wal-Mart outsells Tiffanys products but do you base how great your product is just by amount of sales? And or a "fan base" ?
#282095 by Planetguy
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm
likes, feedback, positive comments and replies doesn't make you any money.

but then the amt of money earned thru playing music is not everyone's yardstick for "success", nor...as I see it, is money earned a gauge for whether mine, your's, or anyone's music is valid and worthwhile.

if i wanted to make a lot of money...i never would have chosen music as a means of doing so. for others, it's all about the dollar. don't get me wrong, i like to earn a buck as much as anyone and i will not work for peanuts (nor pizza)..... but to each his own.

congrats Schmed on all the positive feedback you've been getting on your tunes up on your Soundcloud page. In my book that IS something to feel good about and nothing to sneer at.....sharing your music with others AND getting positive feedback, that's win-win. right on. Keep 'em coming. 8)
#282096 by schmedidiah
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm
thanks. I do what I do and that's what I got to show for it. i'm proud of it and thankful for it, but if others aren't impressed..... MEH! :mrgreen:
#282097 by DainNobody
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm
When I heard Joe Elliott of Def Lepard admitting music has been de-valued ..I could not agree more.. I can't imagine any musical act in today's world shelling out a million dollars to create an album (HYSTERIA) and expect to recoup the cost streaming your music at .000012 cents so tune.it is so drastically different today and tastes in music change so much as to what is considered relevant. Keep it up Kanye West.. Your music is grandiose :(
#282098 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm
Watch a youtube music vid and look at the comments. Inevitably someone posts, "This guy/gal is severely under rated!" I saw one claiming Jack Bruce was under rated! By whom?

Music de valued? Looks to me like the means of selling it might be but that statement only works in monetary terms and with a great deal of specificity. The musicians who come up with a new ways of getting their stuff to the public might win.

Actual value? That can be debated endlessly but what is the value of art? I would suggest one way to measure that is longevity. Beethoven is still rocking hard but the Beatles not so much. Love album, "Forever Changes" holds up very well and few would have suspected that.

So back to the question 'actual value?' I guess it's in the eye of the beholder / listener.

Talbot
#282100 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm
Beatles not so much

I'll argue that one! See what tickets are going for in Las Vegas for the Beatles- Cirque De Soleil thing. Rain, the Beatles tribute that does 3 sets/costume changes/eras continues to tour the country to huge crowds. Ringo tours constantly with his 'All Starrs' band to huge crowds who know and sing along to all the old Beatles songs - and they just aren't old people in the audience either.

But the value of music has been devalued - to the majority of younger people in the western world. They can get their music for free on the phones that are constantly in their hands. They can go to free shows/parties/raves for "live" (DJ) music. The number of clubs/bars that can charge a cover charge to people has shrunken so the money available to performers has diminished as well.
#282129 by Magilla66
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 am
The business of music is a business. Sales indicates success, even if the music or musicians or singers are no-talent nobodies who "got the look". Look in the bargain bins. Look at the one-hit wonders. Look at ...Milli Vanilli.
#282198 by Lynard Dylan
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 pm
Music hasn't been "devalued" at all, it never had any value. If it's good it gives me a good or bad feeling, makes me laugh or sometimes makes me cry. Do these feelings have value to anyone but me? I've seen you play at the swap meet for pocket change, while I walk out with a big pile of their money. The swapmeet is for selling junk not playing music, people pay their two bucks to get in and they want to find a bargain, not here music being played on beginner instruments. I've never played music at the swapmeet, unless it's to demonstrate the instrument I'm selling,(and I've sold you afew instruments). I don't ever confuse making money with making music, it just doesn't work out that way anymore for me, I was making more money in music in the 80s then these current bands are making now. And how many of these current bands make the money that I make in 5 hours at the swapmeet, I'd venture to say none, and probably none on this forum. Yet when I play music in one of the two bands I'm in we never make money we do it for sh*t and grins(ie our enjoyment), and it has great value to us players, and its done on our terms not dictated by anyone else. Dane let your spirit lead you and your mind and body will follow, is this not the trinity, thru this you will find you are part of God. I read on another thread you were homeless, yet I've seen you since you posted that thread, and you talked like it was all good, you know SS on the way you were set to play music fulltime. What you really want you will draw to you. I'm truly blessed to have such a great bunch of kids and grandkids, money can't buy this. It seems the more I give away the more I get in return. Once again sorry to hear of your homelessness, if I can help please contact me.
#282201 by DainNobody
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm
Thanks Lynyrd..my 1st social security check arrives Feb. 14. The Multivox Premier foot switch ended up bringing $33.00 yesterday it was given to me by an appreciative listener while busking with Faron one Sunday for 20 minutes of business busking..pretty good $ yield/return. Me and Faron were really cooking/gelling that Sunday plus cash tips. It all adds up..lol :oops: :D :)
#282202 by DainNobody
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm
I never realized how cool a Stylo 3 phone could. be ..lately last 3 days or so I have been posting music on FB.. Don't know if this link will work or not.this is the kind of improvised music Faron digs..he just wants to jam and I think the swap meet walkers love the spontaneity of just jammin like subcontinent Indian street musicians do. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8001647610