This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281828 by schmedidiah
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am
I have an Ibanez acoustic/ electric bass I paid about $350 - $400 for about 9 years ago. I used it a lot when recording with my drummer, just plugged into the board. I loved the way it sounded with drums and crazy guitars overdubbed on the the track. Any attempts at amplifying it at any volume level failed though. Feedback galore. :?

Also you can't even produce an appropriate volume level to play along with one unamplified steel string guitar, even plucking hard like John Entwistle. I've found that it's a good match for a nylon string guitar though.

I love playing the instrument, but it brings up some major headaches when trying to do these normal things that you take for granted with even entry level electric bass gear.
#281832 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 pm
go w the P-Bass or some other solid body ELECTRIC bass.

i play a few instruments but i AM a bassplayer first and foremost. After 45 yrs of such i've owned and played a lot of basses over the years. all that to say...i have some experience in this area.

i've played mid price, cheap-o, and some very high dollar ABG's (acoustic bass guitars) and my feeling is that as Schmed said.....they don't produce enough acoustic volume to hang w even one acoustic guitar. then, you plug them in, and they sound like a cheap and crappy electric bass. get loud enough to hang w a drummer and you have to start thinking about feedback and where you're standing in relation to your amp.

and since i know you're not one to hesitate whipping out your red pen to correct someone or something you believe to be wrong...what you describe is an ABG which stands for "acoustic bass gtr". an "acoustic bass" is an upright bass. :D

bonna fortuna!
#281833 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:24 pm
this is one of the high dollar ABG's I've spent some time with.....belongs to the my pal, Bill who plays bass with Plane Jazz. it's a $3K TAYLOR that's made from African imbua wood. Gorgeous instrument, but even as big as it is....it could never hang acoustically w the other acoustic instr in the band. Plugged it....meh.

#281844 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 pm
and when you do a google search for "acoustic bass" it does in fact bring up a page full of links to acoustic bass GUITARS....AND in their previews, every one of those links refers to the instrument in question as an "acoustic bass GUITAR".

el linko: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=zV1JWpyfBqzYjwT0_qPgBg&q=acoustic+bass&oq=acoustic+bass&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0j0i20i264k1j0l8.2098.5335.0.8226.14.9.0.4.4.0.101.752.8j1.9.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.13.787.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i10k1.0.gRolY4HpEm0

the upright bass is also referred to as double bass, contrabass, bass viol, bass fiddle, string bass, doghouse, bull fiddle and yes.....acoustic bass.

anyhow....i'm not gonna go round for round on this. hopefully you might find the experiences schmed and i shared helpful.
#281847 by MikeTalbot
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 pm
I looked around when a friend asked me about a bass for a youngster. I was surprised to see a package that included a Squire P-Bass and a small amp for 200.00.

I owned that model bass for a while and then gave it to my stepson. Played surprisingly well. The sound was tolerable.

Happy New Year
Talbot
#281848 by schmedidiah
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 pm
I have a Squire P-Bass from Taiwan I believe. built in the 80s. plays great. virtually indestructible. bought a Chinese 5 string Squire Jazz bass from G C in 08. not the greatest, but still what do you expect for that price point?
#281853 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:12 pm
I did the 'bass simulator' thing for a while, it was a poor substitute at best. GOt a cheap no-name P- bass from a friend who was cleaning out his garage, eventually sold that for $40 and got a Squier J-bass on ebay for $99 including shipping. Has a few dings in it, and needed a set up, but that's my go-to now, including for gigging.
#281874 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 pm
An acoustic bass is only good for an acoustic gig. An upright contrabass is cool for soft jazz and rockabilly mostly...but limited application.

So, if it were me, I'd have a P-bass for all-around general usage, and an acoustic for specialty uses.

Not that it matters to george what anyone thinks. Not sure why he asked, actually? :lol: :lol: :lol:

love ya, george. :wink:
#281879 by Planetguy
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:10 pm
My best guess, another chance to unholster that red pen!
#281884 by schmedidiah
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 pm
george1146561 wrote:
if there were some actual facts about the acoustic bass that I was unaware of.

Spontaneous combustion.