This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279532 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm
Dude....get out of there!!! :shock: Hurricanes are unpredictable and very dangerous. Take a vacation.

You are welcome to come to Tedlandia with all the other refugees. I've got lots of room....and we could jam with the locals.

So how do you want to receive an audio file? Should I just hang on until you get here? :wink:

#279534 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm
Thanks, but gonna lay low here and ride it out. Got plenty food, the gas grill has a full tank, and the way my house is situated, I don't get much direct wind. Been there, done that twice before. They're saying 2-6 inches of rain--not too bad--and diminished winds, and we're not in the warning area. Power outages are annoying--no internet or TV (gasp!)--but if that's the worst, it's little more than an inconvenience. But I gotta admit, hitting the barbeque joints in Texass does have considerable appeal. Brisket...yum...
#279535 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm
Oh wait, just realized I haven't recorded anything to send you? lol

So if you want to do your parts in that key and send it to me I'll add an acoustic guitar and vocal. I suppose I could do those to a click track and then you add your parts, but I'd prefer you play the arrangement you like on piano/sax and let me add vocals to that instead. I'll take a stab at Rikki too if you want.

And I'm in South Carolina now, btw, where bbq is not the same as it is in Texas. We're going to get some rain too but I'm at the top of a small mountain so no flooding is expected.

#279543 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 pm
yod wrote: A D Gbm G (4x)
I'm a fool to do your dirty work, oh yeah, I don't want to do your dirty work no more

Try a Dmaj7 for that second chord, the sung note is a C#. Every tab I saw had that wrong.
#279547 by Displaced Pianist
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm
Oops--guess I'll be boltin' after all. Last night they moved the path to the west, and now have it as a direct hit on Tampa, Sunday night into Monday morning, at CAT4. They already have a flood warning in effect for Hillsborough River. Might do the place some good.

But I ain't stickin' around to see it. Will finish the prep today and wait just long enough to see what the path is tonight & tomorrow AM, and if there's no change, I'm outta here. I need a change of scenery anyway.
#279558 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:Oops--guess I'll be boltin' after all. Last night they moved the path to the west, and now have it as a direct hit on Tampa, Sunday night into Monday morning, at CAT4. They already have a flood warning in effect for Hillsborough River. Might do the place some good.

But I ain't stickin' around to see it. Will finish the prep today and wait just long enough to see what the path is tonight & tomorrow AM, and if there's no change, I'm outta here. I need a change of scenery anyway.

The invitation to Spartanburg is still open, man. We could always record Rikki here.

#279590 by Displaced Pianist
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:15 pm
Thanks, but wouldn't have made it. Was looking to go to J-ville (have friends there), but only got as far as the Daytona area before I found a Holiday Inn Express and decided to wait it out there. I have a tenant--a PhD candidate--who was draggin' his feet, pontificating way too long over what he'd take w/ him to the shelter, until I finally hadda drag him out and drop him off (he doesn't have a car), so I got a late start. East side of Orlando, the rain was so hard I hadda slow down to 30 mph on I-4; no other cars in sight 'cept an occasional FHP cruiser. The HIE was decent, the Direct TV & internet were up until ~11:00 Sunday night, so at least got to watch the Cowboys spank the Giants.

Came back yesterday afternoon and it wasn't as bad here as they advertised. Guess they got it bad in Naples/Fort Myers, but they tell me by the time it got here, it was like a Cat 1. Got a good bit of clean-up to do in the next few days, but nothing destroyed or broken. Just a couple of big cacti took a beating.

Wonder what it's like in Arizona...
#279604 by schmedidiah
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:
Wonder what it's like in Arizona...

it's awesome. glad to hear you're ok.
#279606 by Displaced Pianist
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:23 pm
Tnx, Schmeddy. Was watching the news last night and it seems like Tampa was the one place in FL that didn't get decimated, either by wind or flooding. Go figure. Had I stayed in town, prob. woulda been leveled. Got the power back on early Tues. morning. Sunday night I saw a video of the St. Pete/Clearwater area, and all the water in the Gulf had just disappeared, like someone had pulled the drain plug in a tub; folks could walk in the sand all the way out past the end of the piers. Crazy. The whole time I'm thinking, 'my house gets destroyed, I'mma take the insurance $$ and move to AZ.'

Hey, if you want me to send you "Frontier" to play with, send me an email (my add. is on my page) and I'll send you the mp4. You can import into Audacity and create whatever tracks you want. Once I finish the clean-up, I'll sit down and see what I have and record some new tracks.
#279607 by schmedidiah
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:move to AZ.'

do it anyway. I don't get the appeal of an extremely humid state with hurricanes.
Displaced Pianist wrote:Hey, if you want me to send you "Frontier" to play with, send me an email (my add. is on my page) and I'll send you the mp4. You can import into Audacity and create whatever tracks you want. Once I finish the clean-up, I'll sit down and see what I have and record some new tracks.

ok. I've only had luck importing wav files into audacity, but i'll try it. I have no idea when I could work on this but I want give it a try.
#279610 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:21 pm
Had several hurricane refugees here from Ft Lauderdale and Thomasville GA and we celebrated by watching the Cowboys trounce the Giants. Had high winds in Spartanburg, knocked down a few power lines and we lost power for about 18 hours. I saw a tree get uprooted in my driveway when pulling in. That was freaky...

But if you're going to lose power, that was the perfect temperature to do it in. Glad you're ok down yonder.
#279624 by schmedidiah
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm
Message sent DP
#279626 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 pm
Back to Steely Dan ...

Heard that Donald Fagen cancelled the rest of the Steely Dan tour "due to illness". :(
#279634 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Back to Steely Dan ...
Heard that Donald Fagen cancelled the rest of the Steely Dan tour "due to illness". :(

From ultimateclassicrock.com:

"Steely Dan have announced almost a dozen tour dates for this fall. The new shows come a little more than a week after the death of band co-founder Walter Becker. The 11 dates start in Thackerville, Okla., on Oct. 13 and run through Oct. 30 in Dublin, one of three shows Steely Dan will play with the Doobie Brothers in and around the U.K...
Following Becker’s death, Fagen issued a heartfelt statement on the passing of his longtime fiend [that's exactly how it is on the site], concluding with, “I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.” These new tour dates come after a series of concerts Fagen has lined up with his solo group, Donald Fagen & the Nightflyers. He’s currently on the road with them, with shows scheduled from Sept. 12 through Sept. 24."

No SD dates in Tampa--or anywhere in FL--but the Nightflyers did a gig in C'water in early August. It wasn't advertised at all, so didn't know about it. Dammit...

Schmeddy, sent you a reply w/ a remix of "Frontier" (sans guitar solo) in .mp3; the .wav (65mb) is too large to send via goople. You can import an .mp3 in Audacity (File...Import...Audio). If you have a place where I can upload the .wav, let me know and I'll do so.
#279639 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 pm
A little more:
Donald Fagen has canceled the final dates on his North American solo tour, citing illness. The shelved concerts include stops in Seattle tonight, Saratoga, Calif., on Friday and San Francisco on Saturday.

It’s been a difficult few weeks for Fagen, who was on the road with his latest project, the Nightflyers, when his longtime Steely Dan partner Walter Becker suddenly died on Sept. 3. Becker had been in ill health for some time, having missed Steely Dan’s Classic East and West stops.

Becker and Fagen co-founded the band in 1972. They originally collaborated with a regular working lineup of musicians before shifting Steely Dan into a two-man creative vehicle, surrounding themselves with some of music’s most well-respected session men. The group took a break beginning in the early ’80s, eventually reuniting a decade later – first as producers on one another’s solo projects, and then officially as Steely Dan. Two more studio albums followed. The first of them, 2000’s Two Against Nature, earned a Grammy for album of the year.

After Becker’s death, Fagen released an official statement stating his intention to “keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.”

Looking down the road, Fagen has more scheduled solo shows between Sept. 20-24 in Japan. Steely Dan then regather for the first time without Becker for a string of October concerts.