This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#272456 by micah1055705
Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm
Well the blue grass response is not that surprising. Don't they sometimes use whisky jugs or washtub basses. Not a lot of tone variation there. The bass is almost more of a substitute for percussion in some cases.
#272462 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:56 pm
AyrTrayn wrote: Whats your idea of a bass player?

As with any musician, it depends on the what the song calls for. Yes, I'd like a bass player that holds the bottom line all of the time.....8th notes matching the hi-hat on A for 12 measures works great during a ZZ Top song....but not a jazz tune.

So no matter what instrument someone plays, I want their part to be appropriate for the song. Period.

Live, I'd like someone to do that with a little energy and enthusiasm.
#272497 by Maxon Axxe
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 am
rick1074770 wrote:The ability to get along with egomaniacal self aggrandizing guitarists, and drummers who smoke too much pot and bring their grouchy girlfriends to band practice.

Hmmm...I thought that was a So Cal specific thing. And, you forgot to mention the ability to refrain from smacking the lead singer as he stumbles in 5 minutes before the end of rehearsal pronouncing himself "ready to ROCK!"
#274795 by rik1111
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm
I just BRING it., I make everyone look and sound good, including myself. I flow, follow and lead- I pick up the tempo back on time when the drummer falters, I bring the dynamics up and down for the lead guitar and lead vocals- and I hammer the hell out of the bottom end for crescendos. I will interact with the other players- back you up on your leads or step out and play a scale or two. I bring it and that's what most bands want. except for the insecure little ones
#274813 by RGMixProject
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:30 am
rik1111 wrote:I just BRING it., I make everyone look and sound good, including myself. I flow, follow and lead- I pick up the tempo back on time when the drummer falters, I bring the dynamics up and down for the lead guitar and lead vocals- and I hammer the hell out of the bottom end for crescendos. I will interact with the other players- back you up on your leads or step out and play a scale or two. I bring it and that's what most bands want. except for the insecure little ones

Had a amazon lady come up on stage and told me she gave the best head in town. Was that you?

Bring it??? with that ego why are you looking?
#276559 by Zagan
Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 pm
What I look for in a Bass player is a few things. Some are just the basic general things that I look for in any musician. These basics are;
1. Reliability. Yeah it sounds easy enough. But if you are not there you suck no matter how well you play.
2. Enthusiasm. Not bouncing off the walls, but I need someone that wants to be there and work at making music just like the rest of us and that does their homework and shows up prepared.
3. Hygiene. I can't believe I have to mention this, but unfortunately I have had some people that just don't get the fact that I don't want to be known as the band with the smelly Bass player, Drummer, Singer, whatever. If I have to ride on a bus with someone that smells bad, I'll wash them with a wire brush to make my point clear.
4. Attitude. This is important. You can't go around bad mouthing venues, other bands, fans, or anyone because it will come back and bite you on the ass later. If you don't have something good to say then just say "I don't know" or "I'll check that out later" or something non-committal. Lie if you have to, but don't cut your throat because when you say something bad it gets passed around until it reaches the person it's about. Many people could do well to remember this.

Now onto the nitty gritty. I like a Bass player that can work the neck, not just play a rhythm but do walking bass, in time, and in tune. If you go off on a killer run that's fine, just make damn sure you land back in key and on time otherwise forget it. Slapping the strings never appealed to me because it's really more distracting, in my opinion. I like to hear the notes ring out true and powerful and clean. Lots of bass players I have played with can't seem to tune worth a crap and it sounds awful. Some use old strings like they are waiting for them to break. Some never even bother to intonate their instrument. Some have bad wiring. These are things you got to keep in order if you want to sound right. Keep your whole rig tight and right.

Pick or no pick;
I think you should know how to do both. Some songs call for one or the other and if you are worth your salt you should be able to tell if the song calls for it. I'm not just talking about covers either. I've seen Bass players just rip it up like a lead guitarist with a pick, and others do some intricate finger picking that you can hear the subtle nuances of each note. The trick here is to know which is called for with what you are trying to do.

Balance.
I look for someone that I don't have to get into volume wars with. You should know how loud you need to be in any situation. That goes for anyone in a band. If we have to keep stopping to tell someone they are too loud then that will get annoying after a while.

Lastly, I like someone that can get into the music on stage a bit, not just stand there like a stone. You are trying to get your audience off their feet and have a good time so put on a smile and have a good time. Remember, you don't make mistakes on stage, everything you do you did on purpose. So if you played a different note than you thought you were going to play, well you just made a new patented kickass riff so smile even more. YEAH!!! Wasn't that awesome? That's how you do it man. That's Rock-n-Roll!

Bottom line, sell yourself, sell the song, sell the band and leave them wanting more.
#278148 by BassKenCapeCoral
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 pm
As a bass player, I see my job as the connection between the drummer's rhythm and the guitarists' melody. I try to keep things flowing smoothly, filling gaps during lead guitar riffs and providing balance for rhythm guitar. Drums & bass are the engine powering the machine. IMHO
#280561 by schmedidiah
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 am
BassKenNNJ wrote:As a bass player, I see my job as the connection between the drummer's rhythm and the guitarists' melody. I try to keep things flowing smoothly, filling gaps during lead guitar riffs and providing balance for rhythm guitar. Drums & bass are the engine powering the machine. IMHO

correct.
Mike_krunch wrote:I look for someone who is not jealous that hes not the guitar player and can get his own ladies.

asinine. :roll:
#280871 by E Post
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 am
I have a Dance Music Cover Band... but we are known to play things people do not expect. We play more complicated music that most musicians simply can't... because that's what makes it so awesome! So, when it comes to bass players, I set the bar pretty high, because of the level of the players I am playing with.

A bass player who wants to play in a great band... gigging all the time or touring... needs to be extremely well rounded & willing to play anything... LITERALLY ANYTHING! If you're a bass player who determines you will not play certain genres of music, you won't have as many opportunities as someone who will. If you feel that you can't take on more complicated tunes, by all means... go take lessons from someone who can play more complicated music... or practice on your own until you can! It will be in your best interest to do so, because anyone can become the master of their instrument if they believe they can & put the hard work in to become a master! You'll NEVER regret doing this!

FYI... doing your homework & coming to rehearsal prepared is imperative! DO NOT waste the other musician's time that you are playing with! It's downright disrespectful! One thing I really dislike is when people blow off the songs they are supposed to learn. You can't expect for any band to get anywhere if people don't learn the music... or if they half ass everything like they never need to learn it. Have some respect for your fellow musicians & any bar that books you & walk in prepared! It's always better to kick ass & take names than it is to half ass & cause the patrons to leave!

Whatever you do... just remember that if you make yourself into the bass player that everyone wants to play with... then you can pick & choose who you want to play with!
#295493 by Olerud
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:51 pm
Ampeg bass with 4 10, jazz bass 5 strings, dependable transportation. Coast to coast food, lodging and gas. Union minimum in advance. Options on guitar, Top end keyboard.