This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#14808 by OldMusiciansNeverDie
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:43 pm
No doubt about it...RUSH is one of the all-time greatest rock bands -especially in the genre of progressive rock. Have seen them in concert numerous times and have been blown-away by their talent and cohesiveness as a band on every occasion.

#17027 by RichT
Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 pm
tukrhill wrote:Just so you know Neil Peart was not the origanal drummer. I forget the guys name. I was a Peart head for many years.. I worshiped him while growind up in Canada. lol
Hands down one of the greatest drummers ever!

John Rutsey was The Orig Drummer

#20059 by kord
Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 am
I first heard my brothers 2112 LP back in 76. Being a new drummer I was awestruck at not only Neil's play but how tight they all played.. They were out of the rotation for some time until I went on a roadtrip with a friend (Big Rush fan) and went through 3 or 4 of their CD's. After that I pulled out the skins and haven't stopped playing since. There isn't a week goes by that I don't work up a froth on one of their albums.
The 3 members of Rush are some of the VERY best musicians around, and they are all still very humble and likeable. I enjoy all kinds of music but somehow their sound to me, is just better than anything else. For some reason I don't tire of it like so many of the other bands.. My son is also growing quite fond of them, especially after I printed off the lyrics for 2112 and moving pics. The pictures their songs paint!
Last edited by kord on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

#27184 by JONLYKINS
Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 am
I was one of those drummers believe it or not that worshiped Peart. I practiced yyz for 3 months ( i mean everyday for at least 2 hours a day) and still could only halfass manage it. We had a three piece as teenagers and did xanadu, Temples of sphrynx, yyz, red barchetta, limelight, Distant early warning, Freewill and Spirit of the radio to name a few of em'. The guitarist even found some Synth pedals at a local pawnshop. It was really intense. some nice greenery always helped us sound better.............at least to us. Thanks for posting Rush.............ahhhhhhhhh the memories........or some of em' anyway

#27255 by gbheil
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm
I still love Train To Bangcock! But I would not clasify Rush as Progressive.
Then again all these sub-genre's confuse the hell out of me.

#29066 by musiclab
Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:33 am
I am surprised to only see one other british person on here but I guess Rush are predominatly a states band.

I agree with everything I've just read except the part about lerxst not being all that good... Agreed Neil and Ged are phenominal but guess who get's on stage with them every night and holds his own... Alex is a hero in his own right and his guitar work is every bit as vital and of course being the great guy he is he graciously stands aside to let the other two shine..

What a man..... :cry: now look you've made feel sorry for him now :lol:

Not that he gives a hoot about what people say, I'm sure, he is after all in the greatest band in the world.

Now on that I'm sure we can all agree :wink:

#29069 by gbheil
Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:17 am
Greatist Band In the world? Great band yes. Greatist? How would one qualify that I wonder?

#32297 by unibasser
Sun May 25, 2008 2:21 pm
if you really think Peart is amazing read up on his personal life and series of tradgidies in his life. its a wonder he has the strength to keep playing and touring. i 've had the honor of meeting Alex twice and being a guest of his at shows in Pittsburgh. i sat and talked to him for a couple of hours after snakes & arrows. i kind of pryed info about Neil because my life has been tradgic in very similar ways that its creepy. at one point i thought i would never pick up or touch an instrument again. what i'm getting at is his amazing talant aside there is even more of a will to keep goiing in life that far surpasses his skill as a drummer. we are all lucky he is still letting us enjoy his talant. Neil Peart is an amazing PERSON and definitely one of the most accompished drummers ever. THANK-YOU RUSH for sticking it out all these years and giving us the wonderful music you do!

#32642 by Mr_Britt
Thu May 29, 2008 3:05 am
Neil was definitely the inspiration that pushed me to want to play drums. I heard his solo off Exit Stage Left and was totally blown away. A few years down the road, I had my own cow bell tree and was hashing a sophmoric immitation of the solo. What a great band they were. Unfortunatly, I haven't really liked anything they've put out since Power Windows... EarthShine is a cool song but I pretty much just dig the old stuff. I stopped worshiping Neil a while ago but still like to put on Exit or Hemispheres or Signals and pound away. I've moved on to other bands and styles now.... Lester Estelle from Pillar is AWESOME! This dude does more with one foot on the kick than anyone has since Bonham!

Favorite RUSH Albums anyone?

2112 - of course!

#32870 by Kramerguy
Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:14 pm
PaulBritt wrote:oad, I had my own cow bell tree and was hashing a sophmoric immitation of the solo. What a great band they were. Unfortunatly, I haven't really liked anything they've put out since Power Windows... EarthShine is a cool song but I pretty much just dig the old stuff. I stopped worshiping Neil a while ago but still like to put on Exit or Hemispheres or Signals and pound away. I've moved on to other bands and styles now.... Lester Estelle from Pillar is AWESOME! This dude does more with one foot on the kick than anyone has since Bonham!

Favorite RUSH Albums anyone?

2112 - of course!

Alex Lifeson is 95% responsible for me playing guitar. Of my favorite albums:

Caress of Steel (fountain of lamneth is WAY underappreciated)
Hemispheres
Signals
Grace Under Pressure (another underrated album IMO)
A Show of hands (performance-wise, compilation of best from power windows / hold your fire and also signals/g.u.p.)

#33100 by Mr_Britt
Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 am
Yeah, Caress got some bad reviews when it came out but I love it. Fountain is an awesome epic.

"I think I'm going bald!" - too funny!

Panacea - One of the very few Rush ballads : a softer, sensitive side of the band.

The Fountain -

"Many journeys end here,
but the secrets told the same
life is just the candle
and a dream must give it flame!"

--- AWESOME !!!

p/g and Signals are a couple of my fave albums as well.

Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings too...

I liked "A Show of Hands", but still prefer Exit.

Alex is one of my favorite guitar players. He has such a way of using chords that most wouldn't think of combining and making it work so well. He's a very creative player.

And Geddy: Mr. Multi-tasker with the Bass, Keys, Pedals, and Vox; sometimes all at once!

Who out there sprung for the R30 DVD? I have it and it's got some videos and rare interviews. There's even a few "easter-eggs" in there!

#33119 by Subdivisions1
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:25 am
Fan since 1984...first album Grace Under Pressure.
Favorite 70's era album: Hemispheres
Favorite 80's album: Hold Your Fire
Favorite 90's album: Roll The Bones
Favorite 21st century album: Vapor Trails/Test For Echo

Songs....Hemispheres, Bacchus Plateau, Tai Shan, Out Of The Cradle, Totem,
Here Again, Limelight, Countdown...and many others.

#41218 by Drum2Live2112
Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:18 am
No doubt greatest band ever.
So intense live, so lyrically and musically powerful.
They have kept it coming strong all these years.
I've seen them twice and have to say that no other band can touch these guys.
Their fan base is one of the most dedicated out there too.
ROCK ON RUSH FANS!!!!!
Keep on workin them angels.

#41225 by neanderpaul
Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:51 am
Overrated. The only song I ever liked from them is the recent one with the line - "one day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel...."

#41319 by jimmydanger
Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:01 pm
I rarely chime in on these worship threads, especially when my opinion differs, but I must agree with Paul, overrated. While I concede they are good musicians, Lee's voice is grating, Lifeson's guitar playing is average and Peart overplays his parts. He is a decent lyricist. My favorite album was Hemispheres.