This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#25214 by Dddonnie
Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:04 pm
How many of you use ear buds, or other brands of those little in-ear monitor systems for vocals?

Do they really help?

We're always having problems with monitor feedback, & I've heard they are good, but are they worth the price?

How can you mix them for each person's vocals?

#25219 by gbheil
Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm
I dont like em myself, I want to hear feel and taste evrything my guitar is telling me. Feed back on your system has a root or several roots. start with your EQ, and then dig em out. I like to be surronded with the sound of our band like I am the audence. I dont think you can get that live feel through headphone or buds.

#25233 by philbymon
Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm
Was hoping to improve vocals, & I thought this would be a great way to do it.

It isn't all about the PA.

Thanks, though, for the response.

#25235 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:42 pm
I tried them, can't use it properly.

It's a hit or miss type thing. I know it's gross but if you know someone that has one, wipe it off and try his to see if you like it.

I couldn't handle having it in my ear and I can just barely stand having regular -80db plugs in when I need them.

#25265 by Irminsul
Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm
I don't like them. They hurt my ears (physically, not sonically) and they cut out too much ambient sound that I use to gauge my playing.

I much prefer the new mic-stand attached monitors.

#25266 by Shredd6
Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 pm
Irminsul wrote:I much prefer the new mic-stand attached monitors.

I have one of these and I love it. It's great for practice.

#25396 by fisherman bob
Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm
I don't use them. One time we had a guitar player fill in for us one night. He was using them and couldn't (or wouldn't) pay attention to the other band members. We have a lot of impromptu stops and starts in some of our tunes and you have to pay attention (especially to the lead singer-ME). Anyway the gig was basically a disaster. They might come in handy for studio work possibly, but for the genre of music we play live (blues) I'd have to say they are a waste of time. Later...

#25431 by gbheil
Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:54 pm
That just reinforces my point Bob, I feel the use of these things takes you out of the interactive environment no matter if its with the other members of the band as you state, or away from your instrument like Irminsul and I said. Watch a band or choir using this technology and they seem to be totally disconected. Kinda like a soccer mom driving and talkin on her cell. I'd much rather see a good musician who is interactive and enthusiastic than a great musician lost in his own space.

#25436 by Dddonnie
Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:14 pm
Hmm...these answers surprized me

Having seen them on tv so often, I would think they're more popular

I can see if they hurt, but wouldn't they have to improve the vocals a bit?

I'm not pushing 'em, you understand. It just seems like such a good idea for vocals...perhaps just with one in, so you can still hear the live action, too?

Vocals have been a real problem for all the bands I've ever been in...too much stage noise to hear them on the standard wedge-on-da-floor monitors..ppl end up singing flat or (shudder!) sharp - never ME, of course.

Perhaps I should get those mike-stand type monitors...I have one I used as a solo, but never thought to use them in the band...for the other guys, mind you...I am ALWAYS on key...LOL

#25439 by gbheil
Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 pm
Try em both and use what works for you my man. A lot of TV is Prerecorded IE lipsync they have to use ear buds. Ya dont think those flabby chicks can really dance around that hard and fast and sing too without passing out from o2 derivation. listen to a world class sprinter just try to talk at an interview after the race. And he's in shape! They teach them how to breath through their mouths and look like they are singing. And the ones who are singing usually have a computer taking care of anything that may be off pitch. these days even "live" performers events may be totally bogus. Its a "show". And if there is millions of dollars of advetising riding on it you can bet they leave nothing to chance. What you and I are trying to pull off is raw, if you make a booboo its gonna show.

#25479 by RhythmMan
Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 am
Just watched "Celtic Thunder" on PBS.
They all used 'em, and they were phenomenally excellent singers.
. . . but . . .
Most of the time they were singing solo . . .
#29489 by Matt_CMS
Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 pm
Having been a drummer for many years, I think I have finally established the way forward.

After a marathon rehearsal recently and not having suffered the usual high squeal all the other members of the band describe on their respective journeys home.

I have experimented over the years with various headphone and IEM systems and have never settled for more than a six month period, I recall the early days of recording.....the producer at the time announced to us I was to play to a click...I was 15....(a long 20 yrs ago) .so I naively strapped on the massive DT100's and attempted to track to this ridiculously loud....I mean LOUD....every click made me blink...this was mainly due to the incompetence of the engineer to monitor the mix prior to sending to me and the bass player... I knew within a short space of time that this was not going to work and the fact that we had trickles of blood from our ears.....(it was close....)

From that point I had a goal

Learn to play to a click....or latterly loops which came very quickly thankfully, but also to carry a small mixer and administer my own click as required for sessions.
Logistically this did on occasion prove problematic as the neanderthals with many sliders could not comprehend I would send them the click to track....
As time went on I purchased various headphones, for sometime using the trusty beyers....but....I was still concerned with the level of noise/click I had to have to get a really good mix to play to.

I was lucky enough to end up in a basement studio in LA, the engineer was a an absolute master of his craft....he introduced me to the world or IEM (in Ear Monitors). WOW! back in the day these little foam wrapped ear buds where pretty expensive, $350/$400, but I stretched my own or Mr V.isa to allow purchase.....they I have to say are still working (tired...15 yrs on) although they are last resort spares, I use dual driver custom moulds but based on the same principal as the original IEM's.

My volume levels are so low in comparision to 'Headphone' mixes, the isolation even at the £30 mark for rubber moulded over the counter bud style headphones is fabulous.... do yourself a favour and look after your hearing, I still have my mixes loud for both live and recording, dual driver technology in modern IEMs allow outstanding bass response.

The only down side is set up time in the early stages is increased, I mike my entire kit, where possible get a mix of the band, either from Monitor desk, FOH or ambient room mikes. The results are staggering from even the most basic of configurations, from a stereo minidisk mic to a full blown meyer mike rig on your kit....

I have toured on all levels and on both sides as a player and a tech... keep you love of playing alive....and hear clearly for the 1st time!

Matt
www.myspace.com/creativemusicservices