This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#236820 by Shapeshifter
Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:37 am
What the heck, I'll toss my hat in this ring...I haven't been on this site for several years, so I'm probably due. My opinion is that it's all about moderation. When my band practices, I generally have my "Friday Night Six Pack." I have learned not to go to seven... :lol: . On the other hand, our drummer is an on again/off again alcoholic/pothead who, once a year leaps headfirst off the wagon. Two Fridays ago, he decided to dive in again-booze, pot, pills...he took more stuff than I could handle in three months-in one night. Despite the fact that he wrecked our practice, my issue is more with the fact that we begin a new recording project on MONDAY, and I didn't hear from him for a week (while he was recovering). The truth is that this kind of behavior is selfish, plain and simple. Fortunately for me, the third member of our three piece is also a decent drummer, so the studio plan wasn't lost. It was disappointing, though, to think that all the work we've done, including our drummer, was in danger of being wasted-all because one dude can't control his urges. He managed to get himself cleaned up and should be ready to lay down drum tracks in a couple of weeks, but he came a short curly hair from not even having a band. Next time he drinks, he won't have one. We are relying on him and can't afford to have him randomly drop out on us.
I think it's interesting that this thread began with some discussion about the changes and lack of involvement. A few years ago, this site was like the wild west. It was out of control. I remember looking down through the general chat forum one day and, out of the 52 threads on the first page, the were four about music. FOUR. Everything else was political rants, social commentary, etc. I was told that people needed somewhere to speak their mind about these issues. I thought "Yeah, but on a music site?" Rather than make a big deal out of it, I just left. I'd been on BM for years on a daily basis, but there was simply NO MODERATION. Personally, I am glad to see moderators now. At one point, when I first joined, this was a fantastic music site...hopefully it will return to its former glory. That's probably enough from me right now...did I mention I have a new studio project in the works? :D
#236821 by schmedidiah
Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:51 am
Good to have you back. I just come here to talk about music, being a musician. Yes, I'm a totally amateur musician, without much promise of getting anywhere. I still feel I have a right to be here. Anyone have a problem with that, please perform an anatomically impossible act on yourself.

I talk about all of that non-musical b.s. when there's nothing else going on, but the more musically pertinent topics, the better.
#236822 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 am
Welcome back, Joseph6! Agreed that all the 'this place was much more active' talk is from those who pursued the non-musical posts.
#236827 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:07 pm
It's easy to see that politics and religion are hot topic among musicians, songwriters, and their audiences. The problem isn't the topics, and to the credit of BM they haven't censored discussion, but have finally made an attempt to rein in those who take the disagreement and use it as an excuse to attack others on unrelated issues.

It doesn't help discussion when people take a disagreement over one topic and turn it into a dividing line on another issue. For example, some people wants to turn a discussion about the pitfalls of drug use in a band into an attack on Judeo/Christians, some people want to take a discussion on immigration and turn it into a referendum on Obama, some want to take a discussion on ANY topic and make it a dividing line of Democrat vs Republican, etc, etc, etc

For example, In this thread, Jimmy has tried to tie me to a Puritan morality that obviously enrages him, though I (nor anyone else) have not represented a moral position, or equated a relation between the different topics.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, however wrong, and I see no reason to disallow that, but for someone to then take that as an opportunity to accuse, hate, or ridicule those with a different opinion is simply bad manners, and we should reject that as a community. If we would, there would be no need for moderators.

I choose to respect all of you as a brothers in Bandlandia. I see no reason why we have to agree on anything...but we should be able to disagree with civility and respect for the person we're talking to.

Discussion boards are about discussing our differences. Anything else is just boring.

#236964 by schmedidiah
Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:20 pm
Well, we're dead, dead, dead again. :roll:
#236969 by MikeTalbot
Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:51 am
I'm working on a Zombie project (better than it sounds) so it provides inspiration to me.

Plus I'm sure you know your H. P. Lovecraft, who, speaking in the crazed voice of the mad Arab, Abdul Al Hazred, wrote:

"That is not dead that dreaming lie.
Across strange aeons e'en death may die!"

Talbot
#236971 by Planetguy
Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:09 pm
wow.... a thread that's gone 4 pages in just a cpl of weeks that isn't some goofy brawl!

apparently, news of BM's passing has been greatly exaggerated!

re. the 420 issue being debated here i think it's important to consider that there is a big difference between having a hit or three.... and getting wasted. ...not unlike having one beer vs knocking off a six pack.

and if someone can still "do their job" and function at a high level (sorry) i have zero problem w how they've arrived at their state.

as for the guy who asked mike t about the band's position on erb.....ok, there might have been other evidence of him being a putz, but i think him asking that upfront was the right way to go.
#236996 by MikeTalbot
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:03 am
Planet

You're quite right.

We were young, looked good, had an all original showcase set worked and rehearsed twenty miles from Hollywood. We were cocky but that was the norm in the space we wanted to play.

We were having coffee with this guy whose resume was quite plausible over the phone. So we told him the story: we believed in ourselves and we were sparkling hard as we shared our dreams our goals with this dude.

Of the billion possible answers to our spiel his was, "So - like what is your stance on weed?"

I've heard 'f**k you' in a lot of different ways but that was a humdinger.

Perhaps we were wrong to get pissed. I don't know. But we wanted the showcase clubs and a record deal, and he wanted Ridge Mont High.

Talbot