This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#236699 by gbheil
Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:16 am
Indeed . . .
I cycle in and out of the premier status as our needs dictate.
The service has been extremity beneficial over the last seven or so years.
It's like every other tool . . . does no good to give a hammer to a man whom has no idea how to drive a nail.,
#236703 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:44 am
Sorry, Vinnie.
I wasn't attacking you. Just saying "you" towards the whole group.
Anyone reading. I'm speaking from my experiences, about myself and people I've known and played with.

I have no accomplishments. I never claimed I had any. There seems to be a prickly nature to some of the old timers here. If they think that I should go away, they can tell me to. Then, I will laugh. :lol:

Long live Fletch! :wink:
#236705 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 am
You're one of the good ones.

:lol:
#236709 by 90 dB
Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:28 am
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
#236723 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:47 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:We wailed.

Or we thought we did. I listened to the recording the next day and frankly, it sucked.
Talbot

Practice/jamming is much different than recording! Specially if you are just putting a mic or two (or digital recorder) in the room to capture the practice.
So was it just bad sound, or non-tightness, etc?
#236728 by MikeTalbot
Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:31 am
My pal Greg has the room setup for recording and routinely records anything that happens there. It sounds pretty good usually (wish I could do that) .

What screwed up that recording, dropping the subtlety, is we were wasted. WASTED!

The last thing we did actually went OK -I worked hard with the lead player and queued the drummer to follow. We were looking in each others eyes. Singer and other guitar were all over it. Like all good singers, our boy played harp. We had a lady doing first class backup vocals. It should have been good.

But being WASTED meant we'd forgotten to turn on the mics for the drums. That ruined our only chance at satisfaction. :)

That said, I'm not so extreme about it as Vinny seems to think. But I was in LA at that time of that story, and I'm here to tell you, there are some strange cats there. We finally hired a surfer boy whom none of us liked, who was stoned all the time, to play by the hour in the studio for us.
Despite his many personality issues, dude could get it done. Hence no complaints from us.

Talbot
#236736 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:00 am
VinnyViolin_ wrote: I haven't played a video game since TANK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_%28video_game%29

whoa....me too!?

I loved that game. Was training for a war in Iran in the late 70s. Some things haven't changed.

My position on drugs back then was simple. Yes, and give me more. That kept me unaware of the fact that not much was getting accomplished in the big picture of a career in music. But I can't really make the case that it would hold one back either, since so many major stars were smoking. Elliot Easton (guitarist for The Cars) said, "If you're going to play stoned then you have to practise stoned"

People do drugs to alter their mental state. For writing and being creative it may offer the ability to see things from a different perspective, but for playing (especially live) it would not be a help.
#236741 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:17 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:My pal Greg has the room setup for recording and routinely records anything that happens there. It sounds pretty good usually (wish I could do that) .

What screwed up that recording, dropping the subtlety, is we were wasted. WASTED!
But being WASTED meant we'd forgotten to turn on the mics for the drums. That ruined our only chance at satisfaction. :)

Talbot

Dude!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
#236745 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:35 pm
TheFarleys wrote:Jazz musicians were the first ones to use marijuana as a substitute for alcohol. They realized they couldn't play drunk, but smoking had no ill-effect on their playing. Musicians have been using it ever since. It's really a personal choice and no business of the other band members.

I have to disagree with that. If the band is going out for some munchies after a gig and they get pulled over, everyone goes to jail if one of them is carrying.