This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#235053 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:32 pm
"new" music is most of what I listen to.

Since I travel all the time, I go looking for live music venues and discover local talent about every other week. Some nights are disappointing, and other nights are a surprise. My current CD is the fruit of going to see a singer in Poland in 2012, for example.

More recently, I saw this fabulous girl at an open mic in Indianapolis named Matte about 2 weeks ago. She played guitar "ok" but her voice was absolutely star. Unfortunately she didn't write her own stuff and she had a stupid monkey of a guy whom she called "manager" that was an offensive drunk who knows nothing. Poor thing will languish as long as that is her situation, but she was one of the best singers I've seen in a very long time.

Saw a really great band yesterday in Virginia Beach at a pizza joint. There weren't 25 seats on the patio where they were playing so had to stand outside the restaurant to hear them, so I only hung out for about 4 songs and never got the name.

I'll be checking out D.C. this week...
#235068 by RhythmMan-2
Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 am
Yeah, I guess it's creating it . . . but it's not planned out.
I just try to play stuff that I can't, and - using the process I outlined - after a while I've "found" new music.
But . . . yeah, point taken . . .
:?
So, ok, to answer the original question . . . ummm . . . I don't.
However, sometimes I trip across some pretty good songs in movies . . . maybe 1 out of 30 songs grabs me . . .
I get bored if stuff is overly repetitive, though . . .
#235102 by gbheil
Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:02 pm
Can be very difficult for myself.
Though I enjoy many different style / genre' of music I find myself quite allergic to negativity of lyrical content.
I'm no saint, but I refuse to listen to anything that even hints at being offensive to my sensibility.
I turn it off faster than a cat can lick it's backside.
N boyz . . . that's pretty darn fast.
#235321 by RhythmMan-2
Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:17 am
Sometimes, driving the car, I turn on the radio.
And, I hear a song with a great start.
I'm thinking "All right; something fresh, and cool -sounding!"
And so :I listen.
They repeat the cool part, and I'm thinking, "Yeah, nice groove."
Then they repeat it again, and I'm liking it.
Then the repeat it AGAIN - the exact same thing.
And again . . .
Over and over and over . . . Whaaaa?!
Where's the change?
Didn't they bother to finish the song, or did they just run out of ideas?
So, I listen for a bit more. SURELY a chorus of bridge has to come up, pretty soon; the song just started . . .
Nope.
Over and over and over they repeat it.
Sheesh, it sounds like the needle is stuck.
I have to shut it off out of frustration.
I need a song to change occasionally, it's boring to listen to the same 6-7 notes repeated, like on a loop.
#235324 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:56 am
Exactly! I tell my wife that that's all I notice about the supposed guitar bands on the allegedly"alternative" radio. She hadn't really noticed it. This is, of course, the result of the ADD editing techniques that started on MTV, then infiltrated the rest of the Entertainment Industry. Nobody has much of an attention span, anymore.
#235326 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 pm
Couldn't agree with you guys more on some of the new 'indie' music getting radio play. Some songs use the same chord pattern for the entire song, only thing that differentiates the chorus from the verse is a slightly different melody line.
A friend who does solo acoustic shows has a looper he programs ahead of time with backing tracks and there are a couple of songs he does where it's the same 4 chords the entire song - I've played with him and when he 'taught' me the song, I was thinking 'WTF? That's it?'
Definitely think its part of the general ADD of today's youth. Why change up the music if people only pay attention to 15-30 seconds of it at a time?