This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#219621 by zar535135
Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 pm
Ive had several different configurations over the yrs. I've used EV cabinets with different heads. I had a TUSC head that had a very impressive Reverb to it. Ive used Ampeg and Peavey. I retired from playing out for a long period and had a nice Behringer BXL 1800 that I used at home. I got a call from a buddy who needed a bass player to cover some gigs so I lugged my rig and jammed out. Ran the amp through the monitors and it actually sounded pretty good. The guitarist was surprised how much I was peaking and vibrating everything...LOL

#222888 by 335 Guy
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm
No clubs are all the same. Some have PA support, some don't. Some are bigger, and some are holes in the wall. IMO, a bass rig needs to be adaptable, somewhat lightweight and be capable of keeping up with a sorta loud band that isn't using PA support for the bass. The best rigs I've heard for this, all thing considered, are a good 4x10 cab and a 500 watt head. I'm found of GK for their customer service, sound and durability. You can get a Gallien-Krueger 410 MBE II 400W 4x10 Bass Speaker and a Gallien-Krueger MB500 500W Ultra Light Bass Amp Head for $900.00 to your door new. And even less if you use one of the discount coupons MF and GC send out once it awhile. You could always add an additional 4x10 MBE 11 when needing more, but really, for a club, that compact little rig with hang with the loudest of bands. And while Genz-Benz and Mark Bass, and Eden make good gear, it also cost way more and weighs more.

If you wanted to go with a 2x12 cab, GK also makes that for nearly half of with Genz-Benz charges. At 50 lbs, it's pretty lightweight and uses neo speakers and a horn. I had one paired with a Ampeg PF-500. Sounded very good, but I prefer the sound of a 4x10.

#226148 by lowerbabylower
Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 am
just buy a damn SVT and be done trying to find the right sound. yes it's heavy and expensive but are you a bass player or a wussy singer?
#237010 by gtZip
Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:04 pm
yanidy wrote:FOR CLUB GIGS, W/C OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE BEST BASS AMP?

FENDER
AMPEG
BASSON
MARSHALL
GK
MARKIE
MESA BOOGIE

AMPEG.

Any time, all the time.
There is no other bass rig.
#237604 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:35 pm
for rock and roll grind Ampeg is great but i prefer a more transparent tone and really want to hear the "wood" of whatever bass i'm playing.

earlier i mentioned my little Ashdown Blue 180 combo w one 12". great EQ, tone for days, and sound guys love the signal from it's DI. I LOVE that amp for small to medium gigs.

bigger gigs i use my little class D ASHDOWN MI 550 4 lb head powering two EDEN 112 cabs. one 12" in ea and they 30lbs.

my days of hauling refrigerators are long gone. if i need more HP than that ...that's what the PA is for.

and along those smaller=better lines....i just started playing in a new western swing band. mostly upright (w magnetic p/u) but also my old '63 P w flat wounds on a few tunes. I've been using one of those little Acoustic Image combos that look like a gallon paint can. it belongs to the gtrst. it has one downward firing 10" and i think a 5" or 6" facing fwd. DAMN good sounding amp. haven't played out w it yet but looking fwd to it. not sure of it's power prolly in the 150-200 watt range.
#237670 by schmedidiah
Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 pm
:shock: Double Vision! :P
#240709 by JDbass5
Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:59 am
Try before you buy & buy used, unless you have cash to spare.
Everything I have now I bought used except my 1997 EB MM StingRay5 bass guitar.
Genz Benz got bought by KMC that also owns Fender.
They shut G-B down, but are continuing repairs/honoring warranties for G-B.
If you can find any of their equipment used, check it out.
I just bought a G-B Contour CTR500-115T combo & CTR500-EXT115 cab.
500W D-class amp - combo weighs 48 lbs, ext. cab 42 lbs.
I will gig it for the 1st time this Sat night, but it will be plenty loud (probably won't need the extension cab, but what the heck -- multiple woofer rigs have a certain mojo that single woofer rigs don't).
I'll try to report back after the gig.

There has been some reports of reliability problems with some brands D-class bass amps, even brands like Ampeg.
The most reliable brands for D-class appears to be Aguilar (expensive$$$), Genz Benz, TecAmp (even more expensive), & Glockenklang (extremely expensive).
Best to carry a back-up amp if possible or at least a decent DI box if you have access to a PA you can run your bass through.
As far as reliable class AB amps, Peavey are fine & usually cheap 2nd hand.

Good luck!
#240716 by JDbass5
Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:17 am
After reading all the other comments on here I will also say, 'don't believe everything you read online'.
Do some research.
talkbass.com has a lot of equipment discussions (but don't believe all those either).

Rely more on gathering a consensus when reading other's opinions & like I said, try before you buy.
Take your own bass guitar with you so you'll have fewer unknowns going in & take your time to tinker with the gain & various EQ settings.
If you have to resort to extreme EQ settings to get a sound you like, just say 'no', keep on looking; that's a bad sign.