This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234868 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm
Our Beatles-theme benefit show went well, weather cleared out in the afternoon and had about 120 people in the audience, raising money to support the 'Music in our Schools' program, the UUC that hosted the event and the coffeehouse that runs 9 months a year on Friday nights there. Some of the money will go to new stage monitors. :) This year I assisted the volunteer soundman with set up and changeovers between performers whenever needed as there were more 'bands' than soloists, including an a capella group, and a bluegrass band.

Videos of our performance will surface eventually, as one of our singers had his video camera on a tall tripod videoing our songs, but like last year, he won't post video until the audio has been remixed (board fed into his digital recorder).
Our finale this year was 'With A Little Help From My Friends', with one of the performers with a very dynamic style doing the lead vocals, and everyone else on stage to do the chorus and backup vocals.

#234887 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 am
These are the only photos that have surfaced so far. That's me on the right with the bass.

Getting ready for the big finale.

#234890 by Planetguy
Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm
nice shots. i've always dug that salmon color of the gtrst's strat.

#234912 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:34 am
I imagine it would be fun to play bass on Beatles tunes. McCartney is one heck of bass player. I always liked his approach.

Talbot

#234927 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I imagine it would be fun to play bass on Beatles tunes. McCartney is one heck of bass player. I always liked his approach.

Talbot

'All My Loving' was quite challenging,uses a descending bass line (F#m to B) then a more-standard playing, going back to the descending each verse. Luckily I was only singing backup 'oohs' during the chorus on tha tone. 'Saw Her Standing There', done at a fast pace, was more of a challenge, as there is double picking going on in a real fast pattern. I'm afraid my arthritic right hand really stumbled on it a few times.

#234938 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:17 am
Yeah, hands and wrists can be an issue as we age. I'm taking Vinegar and Honey supplements along with Hot Ice to keep that particular wolf away from the door.

As to McCartney - I thought Revolver has some of the best bass work ever. Really pulsed.

Talbot

#234942 by Planetguy
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:53 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Yeah, hands and wrists can be an issue as we age. I'm taking Vinegar and Honey supplements along with Hot Ice to keep that particular wolf away from the door.

As to McCartney - I thought Revolver has some of the best bass work ever. Really pulsed.

Talbot

Revolver and Rubber Soul might be my two favorite beatles albums.

i used to play w a jazz band that did a pretty kick ass version of "All My Loving"....i used to loved playing bass on that.

the honky-tonk truckstop band i play with now does a blues shuffle take of "Day Tripper" that's a lot of fun. one day i was messing w that signature line and started playing it w that feel and it just felt RIGHT... and the changes lay pretty good for it too.