This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Speakers, amps.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#234573 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:41 am
I have 4 Peavey pv-15 500 watt speakers 2- f.o.h. on sticks & 2 i use as monitors. could i use a behringer pmh1000 to run these if not what would i need to make it work. I'm on a very.....very.....small budget. 4-5 man band 2 vocal mics, mike'd drums, 100-200 capacity rooms. I've been reading posts for weeks and can't find anything close. I'm not real hip to the lingo or the technology for that matter but i'm a work in progress.
thanks,
John

#234581 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 pm
You could definitely use it to power the two FOH speakers, Definitely should have enough power to do that through the Peaveys. However, I think you'll need a separate amp for the monitors (those Peaveys are really too big for floor wedges anyway), as the Behr only has two output jacks for main, and I assume the monitor output on the top panel is unpowered.
If you can't afford an amp for the monitors, can you sell 2 of the Peaveys and buy some active (powered) wedges?

#234603 by gbheil
Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:14 am
We're all on a budget.
We can spend the money to get what we need or we can spend more money constantly trying to replace or upgrade.

Get yourself a GOOD mixer, and some high quality amplifiers, wedges and mains.
You will save money in the long run.

We operated for years with an Carvin RX1200 powered mixer.
It is a great piece of equipment, and still gets used from time to time.
But there came a point ( and it did not take long ) that it was not enough to carry the need.
And we had to spend more money.
I know it's difficult . . . but you can pay now . . . or pay more latter.

#234613 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:31 pm
I can't recommend a particular piece of equipment for you, but if you haven't bought that Behr yet, I'd recommend a non-powered mixer and separate power amps. What's available in your area used will dictate what you can get.

#234768 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:55 am
G-mike, Thanks for the reply, I haven't gotten it yet. the guy was selling it for 80. i figured ya can't beat that! As far as amps go I'm in central jersey and the closest I have found to what I believe is decent is a BGW Performance 4 Stereo Amplifier - 1320 watts only 440 per ch @ 8 ohms and thats 300.00.
I was kinda thinking of using the board to power the monitors and the amp to power the F.O.H.
your thoughts?

sanshouheil I hear ya but I can't just pull money out my A$$.

My former guitarist had the sound equipment I got the lights he quit and we need something to keep us practicing.
John

#234776 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:56 pm
Well $80 is cheap, and like you say, use it to power the monitors, but because of its limited output choices, you'd have a tough time using the mixer output to a power amp for your FOH speakers. Ideally you'd have a decent non-powered mixer with channel insert/output jacks you could then cable those up to the Behr and create a good custom mix for the monitors, or if not, just the mono output from the non-powered mixer to the Behr to the monitor speakers. (basically just using it as a power amp wiht some EQ available).
I see Crown and other power amps used on sale at Guitar Center all the time - check their used online listings, you can always have them shipped to your local GC for free and if they don't work like you need, there's a 30 day money-back return policy at GC.

#234861 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:11 am
Thanks again G-Mike, It seems the seller is in Ecuador and the guy thats selling it for him is in barcelona now so, i guess everything happens for a reason. I did find a Yamaha EMX-5000 20 ch mixer for 350. what do you think of that for my application? also found a Carvin 1200L 6-7 months old, Only output of the amp number 2 is functioning. for 180.
Your thoughts?
John

#234867 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:21 pm
Ecuador/Barcelona for $80 - might as well flush your money down the toilet, you'll never see anything on your doorstep!
Buy local only when it comes to used equipment, so you can try it out first. Guitar Center (gasp!) will ship free from any other store to your local store for pickup (no freight charges!) and still let you return it within 30 days.

The Yammie is a good deal, if its working right, 500 watts per channel, so enough for your FOH. You would still need a power amp for your monitors (or powered monitors) - it's only got 2 powered output jacks, I assume there is an unpowoered monitor output on the top panel.

How many inputs (mic preamps specifically) do you need? Are you miking your amps, or will you be oding that in the future?

An unpowered mixer, and separate power amps and unpowered speakers, or powered speakers/monitors is the way to go for long term expandability.

#234918 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 am
lol, no0o0o0o the guy who owns the 80. board is in Ecuador (lives in jersey), his friend that is handling the sale went to (turns out it wasn't barcelona it was brazil) to see the world cup. he lives in jersey also.

How many inputs (mic preamps specifically) do you need? Are you miking your amps, or will you be oding that in the future?

what does oding mean?

I'm figuring 2 vocals and drums (or at least the kick drum)
i'd like to mike the amps at some point to have an easier control of the volume.

I understand about G.C. it's I just don't have the cash to put out for their prices. I wish I could just buy it to test how it would work in our situation.

I do have a dollar & a dream though!
Thanks again G-Mike :)

This has me baffled, my former G-man has a Yamaha MG166CX mixer never saw an amp (i transported it many times) I don't remember his pa being of powered speakers (I set them up many times) and it cranked. How is that?

#234929 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:21 pm
'oding' is "doing' mistyped! (my right hand is quicker than my left hand!)

The Yamaha MG166CX is non-powered, so any PA wiht that mixer was eithe rusing power amps or powered speakers. Or was really really quiet! :wink:
Musicians Friend the other day had a closeout 600 (300x2) watt Crown power amp for $99.00 - sign up for their notices or check their web page every morning.

Unless you are using LOUD guitar amps, you don't need to mic the drums. Miking the drums usually goes hand-in-hand with miking everything to get a balanced sound in a medium/large venue.

I still would not jump on that Ecuador amp situation, way too suspicious - tell the guy to get it in New Jersey so you can look at it and try it out first. Still won't get your monitors powered.

#234947 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:43 am
now would it be possible to use one mixer for the f.o.h. & one mixer for monitors?

i may not necessarily mic the drums but i'm thinking if i wanna mike everything and record it (which i know hardly anything about ) to seperate tracks (2 separate vocals, bass, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, kick drum & overhead, maybe snare ) a 12 channel board should work?

If I get the 80. board i'm picking it up in person or my buddy will if i'm not home yet.
I hope i'm not driving you crazy. i get home on the 24th-ish then i'll start checking G-center & musicians friend.

I still don't remember plugging in any speakers other then the speaker wires to the board. hmmmm

I found a carvin 1200L on ebay but it's in canada

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301220658322&fromMakeTrack=true

Thanks,
John

#234955 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:49 pm
Note that if you are using 2 mixers (FOH & monitor) one of the mixers needs to have send outputs for each channel so you can hook them up together. If youre trying to record from a mixer and have all channels onto separate tracks, you either need a high-end mixer that offers this capacity with USB or Firewire (check out the Allen & Heath Zed series), or the mixer needs to have sends for each channel which are then fed to an audio interface with the appropriate number of line inputs.

Pro band sets up use two mixers all the time. The FOH board is out at the back of the venue, and the monitor board is to the side of the stage where the engineer can get cues from the band members and set up different monitor mixes for each person in the band
For a small band wihtout a couple of sound men, its just more work. Get a decent board that has separate monitor output, with adjustable monitor level for each track - any decent mixer has this. I have a Mackie ProFX that does all this.

On your comment about not plugging anything but the speakers into the old system, maybe you just didn't notice the power cords for the powered speakers?

#234967 by Sweet Oblivion Music
Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:46 am
ok G-mike I do appreciate all your invaluable info, knowledge, wisdom. i'm gonna go over all these posts......take some notes and see which brand / models will work for me.

I'll drop back when more info is needed, before i finalize the purchase and / or when I have something to share.

Thanks,
John
http://www.SweetOblivionMusic.com