This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#233930 by rsw1002645
Mon May 26, 2014 6:49 pm
Hello friends!

Do you know any software compressors in real time?
I make trainings and webinars online, and the sound from the microphone goes through Flash.

Here's an example: http://take.ms/dLIcQ (in the original there was in Russian, but I translated it).

And because webinars flow in real time - the compressor is also needed in real time.

I would be grateful for any help!

#233938 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Not sure what you consider 'real time'. If you use a good interface and set up your DAW well, the latency in a VST should be in microseconds.

#233981 by rsw1002645
Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Not sure what you consider 'real time'. If you use a good interface and set up your DAW well, the latency in a VST should be in microseconds.

I mean, VST (for example) possible to use like line-in (like mic), in browser (flash)? I am not a professional and I know only a theory, so I am sorry if the question is stupid. But please explain how can use the compressor as a microphone in third-party applications in real time?

#233989 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 pm
A VST would be used in the software as a plug-in. If the software you ar eusing does not use VST plug-ins, you would either need to find a 'stand alone compressor software (not sure who offers such), or also use a DAW (recording software) that would take the input form the software you are using's output, then run it through the compressor plug-in, and then out to whatever you are doing.

What ARE you trying to do? What software? You don't use a compressor AS a microphone, you use it to perform an automated volume/dynamic change on a signal.

#233991 by rsw1002645
Tue May 27, 2014 2:54 pm
Platforms of Webinars usually do not use any specific software, and work through adobe flash. And Flash configurations (in the browser), you can select microphone or any other device (even if virtual).

This can be seen in the screenshot: https://api.monosnap.com/image/download ... A78u0q50T1

So I said, there is a possibility to emulate in software "mic line-in" (emulation I mean), with already processed and compressed sound (in real time, of course)?

To make it more clear, I will try to explain the whole scheme.

1. We have a microphone.
2. We need to find software compressor (and it is main thing of this topic) ..
3. Also we have a platform for webinars that works through adobe flash

Our task is to miss the voice through a microphone, then through software compressor and give it to the browser to adobe flash.

Without audio software compressor is easily done in real time, just in Flash settings in the browser select MIC. How will it work with the compressor in real time - it is not clear, for this maybe I need an emulator.

#234001 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 27, 2014 6:09 pm
I'm not aware of any software compressor that runs as a stand-alone, so only way you could do it would be route your signal into a DAW that has the compressor inserted onto a track (as a VST plugin) then back out of the DAW into your webinar platform.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Wed May 28, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#234021 by rsw1002645
Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm
Mike, thanks a lot! I think this is what I need. Prompt, please, you know the specific names of DAW, that can "emulate" audi output for use in other applications in real time (I'm not sure whether it sounds correct technically, but I hope you understand) and that have an audio compressor?

Here is the simplest example.
There is a program on JAVA, http://www.hotto.de/software/audiocompr ... miter.html,
it totally fits me. It is possible to specify the input, output, adjust compression and it works in realtime ... but, unfortunately, this program does not work on MAC and sometimes even has bugs on WIN

#234029 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 28, 2014 1:52 pm
Almost every DAW would work. I use Reaper (free to download and try out, $60 to register), and it ocmes preloaded with a couple of compression VSTs, Iuse ReaComp, as its easy to use with presets already.
#281281 by john1092399
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:51 am
As it is extremely critical that you do NOT overload your analog to digital converters I would STRONGLY suggest that you compress the sound BEFORE you convert it to digital. If you go microphone / compressor/ preamp/ Computer or microphone / mixer /compressor / computer you CAN set it up to NOT overload your analog to digital converters. You see , IF the signal is TOO hot when it goes DIRECTLY to the computer to be converted to NUMBERS ( which is the way it HAS to work if you use a SOFTWARE compressor, BECAUSE software can ONLY process numbers ) , it may be extremely distorted. Compressing an already distorted signal will not sound good. If you use the analog compressor on the signal BEFORE it becomes digital , you can stop the distortion from happening ,that can happen when the electrical signal DISTORTS the digital converters that change the signal to NUMBERS which it HAS to do BEFORE a software program CHANGES those NUMBERS. A software program can only process the numbers it is given , before those numbers go through a digital to analog converter , where the numbers become an electrical signal that can go to an amplifier and speakers.
#291846 by sandisiegel
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 pm
Check out the Universal Audio hardware. You can load up a classic compressor model (la-2, 1176) on the on-board DSP's so you can get the compression, with zero latency, and it never hits your computer (until you bring the signal into the DAW to record it).