This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#233037 by jw123
Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm
Just saying hi to everyone on here.

Ive been super duper busy musically.

Im still the house guitarist for an open mic on monday nights we were talking last night and Charlie said youve been her for 4 monthes straight only missed one because of ice.

Ive been getting lots of calls for pickup gigs, do one a week, someone just calls out of the blue and I cover it on bass or guitar. Got to play this real cool car show sat, just meat and potato's songs, but had a blast and since it was last minute got double the normal pay, for only 3 hours of work.

Tonight Im doing a duo gig with a guy whos partner got sick, been doing about one of these a week.

Ive also put together the John Wilder Experiment, this is just a throw together band, may have changing members every gig depending on the availabilty of the players, but I have my first one in a few weeks, so keep your fingers crossed for me. I have enlisted 3 top flight players for bass/vocal, guitar and drums, plus me on guitar, and to add icing on the cake have a friend that plays sax who is supposed to sit in. This guy is a monster and in this gig Im probably the least musician of the group.

And oddly an old friend who plays guitar has enlisted me as his personal manager for a band project that we think within a year will be playing 1000 to 2000 seat venues, thats the plan anyway. I had my feelings hurt cause when he called I thought he wanted me to play guitar, but honestly Im having a great time with this gig. Lining up players, rehearsal space, launching a website, building a crew for the shows, eventually I will be the overall manager and get a really good cut of the gross of anything we do.

I have to say that most of this activity came from me playing this open mic, most of the heavy hitter players in town come to it and I have met and networked with all of them.

Ive always said on here that if you want to play music you have to get off the couch and go to shows and participate. None of the players Im around now look on the computor for players, they know who is active and who is not, so I dont know how good running ads on this site or craigslist are.

Just wanted to update whats going on with me, hope all is well with everyone here. Tonight we review a website and then later I do a duo gig. Tomorrow, Im on the short list for another duo deal, then thursday I have some guys coming to my house, who may be part of my experiement group. Friday watching the guitarist Im representing, then sat is a relax day going to a Kentucky Derby Party in the afternoon, then doing a sit in deal at the club I will debut my Experiment.

Like I said if you want to play get off your butt and play, its out there you just have to find people that are doing what you want to do, and getting involved.

Have a great day everyone, see ya around!

#233038 by Planetguy
Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 pm
hey john. good to hear from you and super good to hear how busy you've been making noise. right on.

and good on you for sharing the upbeat advice about getting out there and doing it. too many complainers and not enough doers (or Dewars) out there.

so, how you and that Warwick getting along?

it occurs to me that if you accidentally sat on it then you'd have to get your Thumb outta yer ass! hahaha...see what I did? see what I did??? that's some classic Warwick humor right there! :lol:

#233039 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 pm
Rock on, John! I see your pics on FB, and can tell you are one busy guy!
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#233063 by J-HALEY
Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 am
Way to go John! Been following all this on fb I'm happy for you!

#233070 by neanderpaul
Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm
Killer John! Thanks for sharing! :)

#233145 by Paleopete
Thu May 01, 2014 11:46 pm
Sounds great, glad for ya.