This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#232320 by neanderpaul
Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 pm
This is an older song of mine that I finally got recorded.

There are seventeen vocal tracks. :shock:

First song on my player. Would love for you to have a listen. :)

#232328 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:08 am
I listened to it three times. Overall I have to give it a big thumbs up.
Someone with your talents doesn't need me tell you were any of the weakness is. I thought it showed tremendous effort and talent... I wish I could wave a flag and say listen to this.

Thanks for sharing that.

#232330 by neanderpaul
Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 am
Oh please! The weaknesses need to be highlighted. I say that because I'm totally happy with it. Thanks for listening, Glenn!

#232337 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:53 am
neanderpaul wrote:Oh please! The weaknesses need to be highlighted. I say that because I'm totally happy with it. Thanks for listening, Glenn!

It's Glen with one N. Please don't overlook my positive points.

You are at a level, that blowing sunshine at you... is NOT going to give you any positive reinforcement. You deserve it. That was a great track.

Funny how we have entered into an era were computer drums are acceptable on one level, but not on another. What Led Zepplin recorded 40+ years ago... With all the imperfections of the time... Times are changing.

Hey, If you are happy with it, I am too!!!! That was not an easy song to mix and bring out your points. I thought it was great.

It sort of shows all the skills you have developed over the years. I wish the new kid that just posted, understood this.

Anyway, Thanks for sharing.

#232338 by neanderpaul
Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:24 am
Sorry Glen, since you have it spelled with the ny I didn't know.

I'm not looking for the sunshine. I'm looking for the opposite. I'm looking for anything you didn't like so I can file it away and consider your advice toward future improvements.

The drums are real. He is Drew Lawhorn. He is 24 and I've been recording with him since he was 13!!

Thanks for the compliments. It was a bear to mix. It was the largest number of tracks I've ever tackled. 23 I think.

#232339 by zar535135
Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:25 am
I gave it a listen, I liked it. Sounded good.

#232342 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 pm
After listening to it few more times... THAT IS AN AWESOME RECORDING...

PERIOD. Thanks for sharing that and I realize the tremendous amount of work you put into recording and mixing that song.

I bet that was a bear to mix... I bow down to your efforts. AWESOME!

#232346 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:48 pm
Probably the pop-iest tune I've heard you do. 8)
The vocals are right in front, but possibly some EQ so that the cymbals are more noticeable - I think the 'airiness' of the vocals masks them.
#232355 by Firebird78
Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:32 pm
Nice sound to it! Reminds me a touch of Little River Band and America. that is a lot of vocal track. Are a lot of them just doing little bits and pieces of backup parts? Being pretty green on this, I'm just curious.

#232356 by neanderpaul
Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Thanks for all the listens! And the feedback.

Love the little river band and America! Thanks!

Some parts only have 2 vocals. The lead is doubled in that case. Many parts have doubled lead vocals, doubled harmony, doubled harmony. So six parts in that case.

On the 3rd and 4th rounds of "nah nah nah..." I added many backing "ooohs". That's the greatest concentration of vocals. Like 8 "nah nah nahs" and 9 "oooohs". Also drums, bass, 2 clean rhythm cigar box guitars, one distorted rhythm cigar box guitars, bass, synth.

#232387 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 pm
Did I comment on something musical?

Silly me.

Great track Paul.

#232415 by neanderpaul
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm
I posted on harmony central and got questions about the meaning of and ultimately complaints about the lyrics. I posted a breakdown there. Figured I'd share here too.

The cliff notes break down is basically, let's get out of the city and hang out in the beauty of nature. You can count on me. Your heart will be safe with me.

The full break down is....

"I will meet you beyond the painted asphalt."

I'll meet you physically and emotionally, at the level of nature. The purest level.

"Where the sky meets the ground with a sound."

In nature the skyline is uninterrupted by buildings. The sky and the ground meet without the visual interruption of buildings. The sounds there are birds, babbling brooks, animals rustling through the undergrowth etc etc. That place is pure and represents my intentions with the girl, the subject of the song.

"And I will lie if you want me to."

This is the old "do these jeans make my butt look big" thing. In an innocent way I will tell her what she needs to hear to feel good about herself. Not that I'll lie about important things or even lie at all. But I might answer that specific question with "you look creamy". Hubba hubba!!

"I'll be waiting, waiting here for you"

It is emotionally that I am waiting. At this point I've made it clear that I desire a relationship with her. The ball is in her court and I'll be patient so that she may come to me in her sweet time.

"The air is clean, the world is green,"

Nature, the country, rules!! Yes it is cleaner, healthier. And I hope to give an emotionally healthy love to this girl.

"And I'm alive, and waiting here for you, for you."

I'm healthy, alive. I consume this life. I want to enjoy it with her. I have strong physical health to offer a lifetime of love as well.

"And long gone are the days when you'll want for me."

This is a play on "want for nothing". The idea is that you can count on me, trust me. I'll be there all the time. I won't leave you lonely.

"'Cause I'm here and that fear will soon be far away".

Her fear comes from other guys who have come and gone. I'm not that guy. She can let that fear go. I'm sticking around.

"And time will fly when you're close to me"

That's just a "time flies when you're having fun" reference. Not only can you trust my love to be pure and healthy but you can also expect to have a good time!

"I'll be waiting..."

"Nah nah nah..."

What more is there to say? Let me sing to you! Then after that moment of singing "nahs" I reiterate.

"I will meet you beyond the painted asphalt"

It's your move. You know my intentions. I'll wait for you to come around. Let's go have some fun in nature while I try to win your heart.

Btw, I married the girl in this song in real life.

Thanks again for providing your opinions!

#232417 by gtZip
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 pm
Judging by these earbuds only...
Vocals are too loud, but not by a large amount. One or two db I think.

I actually liked your wash of backing vox and harmonies more than the lead vocal.

Other than that it's a good mix and a good retro-sounding tune.

#232419 by neanderpaul
Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 pm
Awesome zip! Thanks for the kind words about "behind me eyes" :)