This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#232005 by gtZip
Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:47 pm
Why do a lot of people state with authority that bass should only be played with fingers?
I've asked a few, "and why is that?", and pretty much got "uhhh" as a response. Or, "that's how it's done."

Codswallop. It's a percussion instrument.
Use your forehead if it works for you.

I'm aware, of course, that different approaches will give you a different sound.

You can use fingers on a 6 string regular old guitar, too. Jeff Beck plays just fine.

Thoughts?

#232006 by drew103198
Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm
I use both depending on what sound I want or how technical the song is.

#232024 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:13 pm
I do better with pick, but some songs lend themselves to finger/thumb.

#232025 by MikeTalbot
Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:10 pm
On a Fender Bass I really like to play with my fingers but certain things really require some rapid picking or that staccato sound you get with a flat pick. The P-Bass really has that smoky barroom feel to it.

Also - I've found when playing for a long time my fingers get tired and it becomes difficult to play fast. (sort of like when your legs run out steam on a run) It helps to be in practice with the pick at times like that.

Re pick: I find that there is a significant difference between how I pick on a bass as opposed to six string guitar. They have a distinctly different feel and the sound of course is different. Same with finger style really.

Talbot

#232046 by VinnyViolin
Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 am
Picks and fingers seems like trivial stuff compared to answering the question of "should I play French or German grip?". :lol: http://youtu.be/bl1ULlWplqs

#232052 by Planetguy
Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:52 pm
i've always been a german grip guy. (no...i will NOT be changing my BM monicker).

yrs ago the great Ray Brown was playing a concert in Paris w the Duke Ellington Band. as the story goes....there were several classical bassists there checking out this great bass player from america that they'd heard about.

and of course they're knocked out by RB's great tone and chops. after the show they're backstage talking to RB and one of 'em asks....

"ah, Monsieur Brown....we notice you use a french bow but favor the german grip! why is this?"

'well, did you like the way it sounded?"

"oh, yes!"

"ok, then.....so who really gives a f*ck?"

#232053 by zar535135
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm
I play Bass with my fingers, but there are times I will use a pick.

#232077 by RhythmMan-2
Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 pm
I prefer a heavy pick exclusively.

#232097 by VinnyViolin
Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 am
Planetguy wrote:i've always been a german grip guy. (no...i will NOT be changing my BM monicker).

yrs ago the great Ray Brown was playing a concert in Paris w the Duke Ellington Band. as the story goes....there were several classical bassists there checking out this great bass player from america that they'd heard about.

and of course they're knocked out by RB's great tone and chops. after the show they're backstage talking to RB and one of 'em asks....

"ah, Monsieur Brown....we notice you use a french bow but favor the german grip! why is this?"

'well, did you like the way it sounded?"

"oh, yes!"

"ok, then.....so who really gives a f*ck?"

:lol: ... I'l bet they were surprised at how well he spoke French! :lol:

#232151 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 am
+1 for heavy pick.

I saw some guy using a drum stick (to play his bass) the other night..and he wasn't bad.

#232152 by gtZip
Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 am
Sometimes I've been tempted to say, "You know, you'd have that piece down by now if you used a pick instead of your grandmotherly fingers..."

#232156 by jw123
Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:17 pm
I use fingers and picks, I use my thumb and slap the bass it just depends on the song to me, has nothing to do with right or wrong, because honestly in music is there a truelly right or wrong way to do anything?

Ive been playing bass quite a bit lately, and I keep a couple of picks handy. I use 1mm, 2mm and 3 mm picks with my basses.

But honestly I can play it either way and still adjust myself to where most people really cant hear the difference.

#232163 by neanderpaul
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm
I could never give up playing with a pick. I could also never give up playing with my fingers. Both are essential to me.

#232167 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 pm
A:KJFD:K HADS POUA
POS UO
POU KJJ<K":L":L
":

"DO NOT SLAP A BASS"....

You playing r+B? rap? Funk?

No, then quit slapping. You ain't Jaco, either.

Develop your own style if possible. :idea: