This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16455 by MartyG
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:24 pm
Hi, I'm 57 (where the hell did that go!) used to be in a duo back in the sixties - all original stuff which we mainly co-wrote - never gigged but boy did we record a lot - still have the crumpled reel to reels :-)

Several complete changes of life later I find myself near Wrexham in Wales, don't now a soul here and to compound the problem I work away most of the time!

I'm no shrinking violet, but I have no idea how (other thatn this site) to start trying to find some like minded folk who might like to get together and dust off the guitars and see where it goes.

Any advice from anyone who may have been in this situation greatfuly received!

In return i'll advise anyone needing help in areas related to recording or web sites.

Thanx for reading.....

#17998 by RobHammond
Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:56 pm
Hi Marty

Iwas in similar situation, not played live for around 15 years. I followed up a couple of ads on this and other sites, went to a few auditions, now a fewmonths later I'm in a couple of good bands and enjoying playing again

So I'd say don't give up, go for it

cheers

Rob

#18005 by RhythmMan
Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:57 pm
Locate and attend the local 'Open Mikes,' where any musician can get up and play.
Go to them, and find a few 'Open Mikes which cater to some of your tastes in music.
Get up on stage, do your thing, and stay late.
At different open mikes you'll see different qualities of musicians.
With most open mikes you'll almost always see 2 - 3 good musicians (out of, say 20 musicians).
I've been to open mikes where 20 people played, and 2 were good.
I've been to open mikes where 20 people played, and 7-8 were good.
I've also seen a lot of what I'll call the 'local musician hero'-type.'
These local musician heros play or sing crummy, or mediocre, at best, but have a bunch of cheering friends in the audience.
Anyway, get up on stage, do your thing, and stay late. Bring something with you (which you printed ahead of time) with your name/contact info.
You'll meet people . . . .

#22865 by recitman
Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 pm
find a local music shop and talk to the guys there.
Look for local pubs that have open mike nites, this is scary stuff if you haven't done it before. but just go to check it out first before you take your gutar along. I started again in October last year after a 30 year break and now do 2 a week.

#22869 by gbheil
Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:10 pm
Just freegin dustem off man, contact anyone anyway you can. Its your intent that will drive your success. unyealding intent. GO GET EM!
Use this site and pay attention to what RhythmMan is sayin.
YUO CAN DO THIS!

#26429 by philbymon
Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Any idiot can do it...I'm living proof!

Good luck
#35993 by Rick Stringfellow
Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm
MartyG. You and I have much in common. I'm 54 and decided to get back into music after my wife and I separated.

Last October I invested in a decent guitar and started rehearsing in the lobby of a nearby post office after hours. The acoustics of that large space enable me to hear myself, and provide immediate feedback on subtle changes in jaw or toungue position, as well as changes in posture - all very important components of controlling the voice, I have discovered.
In addition, having people walk in and out to check their P.O. boxes is helping me to overcome performance anxiety, a debilitating inhibition.

If you are 57 and still want to do this kind of thing, chances are you're always going to want to do it, so you might as well just accept the fact and start now.
#35994 by Rick Stringfellow
Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm
I forgot to mention, 99% of the people who come in won't even acknowledge you. They just want to get their mail and get out, and they don't know what you're doing there. They'll say "Hi" if you do, but aside from that - nothing.
The other 1% will either be musicians (possibly someone you could hook up with) or people who think you sound good - I mean, people who appreciate your unique talent.
I really hope you check in on this thread. I'd very much like get your take on the whole idea.
#36809 by poleStar
Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:01 am
Just joined the site - i'm 54 going on 19. My local pub has a great live music tradition and after 'managing' a local band a few years back (then feeling too old to join in) have been persuaded to start a project. We can be anything from a duo to a seven or eight piece ensemble but its usually a case of people guesting for a couple here and there - a sort of self contained open mic. I also do local open mics, they're well supported and also supportive. Someone mentioned the 'local hero' syndrome but one of ours turned out to be Joss Stone... there is also the rather elitist (and often blues fixated) element who can be a little daunting at first but break the ice, pop your cherry and have fun - they'll help you along too. Learn to take the crits and you'll learn a lot, fast. I just started playing lead for the first time ever. I just wish I hadn't left a 30 year gap... Good luck to all newbies and keep us all informed.

#37070 by Rick Stringfellow
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:47 pm
Would you be able to post a recording of one of your open mike sessions? I'd love to know what is happening on the street in England.

#230174 by StormyUK
Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 am
Hi, as you are in Wrexham I would suggest that on a Wednesday eve go up to the Plough in Gresford where there is a jam night or Friday in Fflint British Legion. You will meet up with a lot of local 'talent'. Also put some contact info in your profile so the the likes on me, looking for a vocalist, can contact you. Good luck.

#230179 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm
StormyUK wrote:Hi, as you are in Wrexham I would suggest that on a Wednesday eve go up to the Plough in Gresford where there is a jam night or Friday in Fflint British Legion. You will meet up with a lot of local 'talent'. Also put some contact info in your profile so the the likes on me, looking for a vocalist, can contact you. Good luck.

Welcome to the BM forums, Stormy. You might want to check the dates on threads before replying. This one was dead 5-1/2 years ago.