This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228590 by TheLyricalChallenge
Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:11 pm
We’d like to take this moment to invite you to take on The Lyrical Challenge. The Lyrical Challenge is an online music competition that allows lyricists to send in their lyrics and have people from around the world vote on them. The lyrics with the most amount of votes are posted as a free-for-all for musicians to try and compose into the best song. Once the songs are created and submitted back to the website, people can vote for the best song. The song with the most votes in the end wins The Lyrical Challenge! This is open to any and all types of musicians and lyricists. Please take into consideration that this is called a CHALLENGE for a reason. We realize many musicians like to write their own lyrics to go with music they wrote for a specific song. This is not the case here. It is called a challenge because we want to see how different musicians can take a set of lyrics they did not write and compose them into a song of their own! Any instrument and any genre is allowed. Whether you are a solo musician, a band, or an A capella group - you can take part in this challenge and see how you go up against other musicians. Make it a side project or go all out! We hope to see you in the next Lyrical Challenge!

http://www.thelyricalchallenge.com/

The Lyrical Challenge Team

Lyrics can only be used on The Lyrical Challenge website and its social media sites.

#228634 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:55 pm
Have you had ANY entries yet? Incredibly difficult lyrics to sing. Words like 'chrysalis', 'inconsolable' and 'resuscitate' are tough to sing well.

#228661 by TheLyricalChallenge
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 am
No entries yet, Mike. It's a tough one, but that's what we like to see. It will be interesting to see how different musicians will tackle this one. We wish you luck if you decide to submit an entry.

#228695 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 pm
When's the deadline for this one? I can write a song in an afternoon - but I might not remember it the next day if I don't record it!

#228718 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm
Yeah, what's the deadline for doing the music and performance of "I CAN'T BREATHE"?

I'd like to give this a shot myself. But I can't do it real fast, so gimmie a deadline so I know it's worth putting time into before I get cut off.

#228892 by TheLyricalChallenge
Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:51 pm
Deadline is going to be March 1st for this one.

#228906 by Hayden King
Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:24 am
I've got a box full of em.
Is there a prize/reward?
Or is this just for the fun of it?

#228930 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:17 pm
No prizes in the Lyrical Challenge.

I did up a scratch keyboard track for this one last night, and got the acoustic rhythm part figured out. I'll probably forget most of it by the time I can get back to it. :wink:

#228989 by TheLyricalChallenge
Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 am
@Hayden King - No prizes YET. However, we are beginning to brainstorm different prizes for the winning musicians and lyricists. We are thinking of Visa Gift Cards for future prizes. This site is still in the works and we are thinking of new ideas weekly. Give it time for a pattern to appear. If you have any questions, we try to check the forums every couple of days. Otherwise you can contact us straight from the website.

@Mike - Excited to hear what you got! Last song you submitted was great. We already have one song submitted so if anyone else submits one there will be a showdown in the voting! Good luck!

#229007 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm
I'll get it done before the deadline, but probably not much before.

#229227 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm
I made a song out of this and recorded it, but it's not the best recording quality wise.

It's just me playing acoustical guitar and singing. I did leave space within the song for a couple of short instrumental breaks to be filled in later using either guitar or saxophone. I just haven't gotten around to doing those instrumental improvisations yet.

I would also need to re-record the original track because there were sound issues with the first recording. I guess I still have time to do this since the deadline isn't until March.

I kind of gave up on it because I wasn't real happy with the way it turned out, but I just now listened to it and it actually doesn't sound too bad. So maybe I'll work on it some more.

I never entered a song in a contest before so this will be a first for me. It will be interesting to see what other people came up with.

I'm just a lone hobbyist so I don't expect to be able to compete with any professional musicians or groups that may have submitted entries. But I guess it won't hurt to stick it in the running.

#229238 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm
I don't think you need to worry about 'pros' until they start offering prizes! Best to put a quick video together for it (rather than a still picture) - just adds a litle bit to the video submission.

#229294 by TheLyricalChallenge
Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:44 am
@Sharmanic - Mike is right. No need to worry about any pros here. No need to even do a video if you don't want to. You can send the song as an mp3 file and we upload it to the site for you in the form of a YouTube video. Good luck to you.