This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#228821 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:28 pm
So quit hymn hawing around and go buy it.

#228822 by Planetguy
Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 pm
Shamanic_Dreamer wrote:So quit hymn hawing around and go buy it.

i think it's great that you want me have it. now, loan me the $2450 and i'll run right out and buy it.

#228833 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 pm
No, no, no. You need to get out of the mindset that you just run out and buy everything you want. Especially if you can't afford it.

What you need to do is build your own.

Building a Custom Mandolin

#228834 by Planetguy
Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:19 pm
Shamanic_Dreamer wrote:No, no, no. You need to get out of the mindset that you just run out and buy everything you want. Especially if you can't afford it.

What you need to do is build your own.

Building a Custom Mandolin

not being rich... i've never suffered from the mindset you describe.

besides, your logic is faulty. to build a decent mando i'd have to invest some serious coin in tools and jigs....and then it's unlikely that i'd EVER build anything up to that level.

precious few PROFESSIONAL builders can create instruments like that...no reason to think that w zero experience I could.

#228836 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 pm
Professional builders don't have any experience either until they build their FIRST instrument.

I built a violin once. It's not as hard as you might think.

Of course, you'll have to do most of the work by hand rather than using power tools with jigs, but you'd be surprised how fast it can actually go by hand.

You could be playing it by next New Years, and just think of how great it will be to be able to say that you built it yourself.

#228849 by Planetguy
Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 am
Shamanic_Dreamer wrote:Professional builders don't have any experience either until they build their FIRST instrument.

Of course, you'll have to do most of the work by hand rather than using power tools with jigs, but you'd be surprised how fast it can actually go by hand.

You could be playing it by next New Years, and just think of how great it will be to be able to say that you built it yourself.

it's far more likely that i'll be doing my own dentistry upon myself before building a mando.

...since as you say, every pro instrument maker had to build their FIRST instrument......every dentist had to have their FIRST patient too!

what could possibly go wrong???????

#228850 by VinnyViolin
Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 am
Planetguy wrote:
Shamanic_Dreamer wrote:Professional builders don't have any experience either until they build their FIRST instrument.

it's far more likely that i'll be doing my own dentistry upon myself before building a mando.

...since as you say, every pro instrument maker had to build their FIRST instrument......every dentist had to have their FIRST patient too!

what could possibly go wrong???????

"It's not as hard as you might think.

Of course, you'll have to do most of the work by hand rather than using power tools with jigs, but you'd be surprised how fast it can actually go by hand."

I have built a variety of instruments, none turned out to be examples of fine craftsmanship, but some turned out reasonably playable.

I learned a great deal from doing so. At the time it was expensive to buy, and difficult to even find those instruments. Nowadays with ebay, there is a very wide variety of relatively affordable instruments that can be found.
(Also, I can no longer afford to maintain a workshop)

One thing I learned was that I enjoyed playing an instrument much more so than building one. Still, I am glad for the ones that I did build. I still have, and play, some of them.

#228853 by VinnyViolin
Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:41 am
Maybe you could make a burnt match mando?

Disclaimer!!! I did not build this instrument!

#228856 by Chippy
Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am
Nice to see another hand-craft person.
http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneCarvingDesign

Different field, but if you need a HARD ROCK violin, I'd be happy to help lol! :D

Shamanic_Dreamer wrote:So quit hymn hawing around and go buy it.

#228913 by MikeTalbot
Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:52 am
Vinny

My late brother once decided to save on his dental bills and pull his own tooth. So he got totally blind drunk, tied a string around his tooth, secured it to the railing and jumped off a chair.

The tooth came out. Wrong tooth though. Moral: tie the string around your tooth before you get drunk. :wink:

Talbot