This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227302 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm
You have been chosen to be the coordinator of a band.

The following is your challenge:

You have a potential Gig. The customer gives you the following criteria.

You are to play a 2-hour gig in two 1-hour sessions with a break in between. If you satisfy this customer this could become a regular gig.

The customer request the following: Two hours of laid back music, along the lines of something like "Ain't No Sunshine, by Bill Withers".

That's all you have to go on. This is in a restaurant/bar atmosphere.

Your band consists of the following:

A Drum kit and hand drummer (bongos and congas)
A keyboardist
Alto or Tenor sax, but only one sax player
Rhythm and lead guitarists
Bass guitarist
Vocalists

What would be your suggestion for a repertoire for this two-hour gig?

How many songs, and what would they be?

#227303 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:04 pm
You could just ask us for suggested songs ..... instead of making it a 'challenge/game'.

How many songs- depends entirely on the songs chosen and how long any leads are extended in each. Could be 15-20 songs per set.

What songs does the band know already, assume you won't be starting from scratch?
America, Marvin Gaye, ballad-y Neil Young and CS&N, Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon, Beatles, the list could go on and on ...

#227306 by Shamanic_Dreamer
Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:21 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:You could just ask us for suggested songs ..... instead of making it a 'challenge/game'.

I was trying to avoid a boring OP. (ha ha)

But yeah, I'm just looking for song suggestions that come to mind when something like "Ain't no Sunshine" is mentioned as a basis for the mood.

#227313 by Cajundaddy
Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:18 am
This guy plays those gigs every week and has a decent list to pull from. You should be able to find 30 songs in here:
http://tombuechi.com/playlist.htm

#227336 by Lynard Dylan
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:06 pm
If I'm playing a 2 hour gig in a restaurant, Id leave the guitar, at home, and the band, and just go there with my piano, and make all the money.

sh*t if you want easy listening, I'd just play piano tunes, and try to read the crowd, to c what they wanted to hear. You should be able to do this as a professional musician, I'm a guitar player, but I learned to play a number of Bill Withers tunes on piano before I could even drive. I always liked playing "Use Me", got a good riff.

#227342 by zar535135
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:28 pm
After reading the Bill Withers suggestion, a few songs immediatley came to mind... Moondance/Van Morrison, Tupelo Honey/Van Morrison, Wild World/Cat Stevens, My Sweet Lord/George Harrison. A collections of songs from America and early Eagles, Elton John,Billy Joel,Little River Band and so on. There are a number of songs that can be"re-worked" to fit the atmosphere of the venue.

#227390 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:If I'm playing a 2 hour gig in a restaurant, Id leave the guitar, at home, and the band, and just go there with my piano, and make all the money.

sh*t if you want easy listening, I'd just play piano tunes, and try to read the crowd, to c what they wanted to hear. You should be able to do this as a professional musician, I'm a guitar player, but I learned to play a number of Bill Withers tunes on piano before I could even drive. I always liked playing "Use Me", got a good riff.

That's what I keep telling this guy I know. He's a fantastic piano player and I don't think he believes it, but he could play for just about anyone or go into a place and play for a couple of hours and make $250+ in one freaking night.