This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#221458 by Keep It Live
Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:06 pm
Thanks for all the replies folks.
Looks like i caused a bit of a stir in some quarters ;)
Anyhow after being registered on this site for over 5 years & trying to build a band from scratch for the last 2 years, i have to say it is much much easier to join someone else's band than make your own!!

Yes i agree, getting out there in open mic's is great & you can hook up with good muso's but mostly they are already doing so many other projects etc and so whilst its fun it aint the place to get a new band members.

Jackie shame you a little too far away ;)
Squirrel you're NOT too far away ;) But peeps are right you do need to give it more time than one month.

I bit the bullet & have a yearly subscription (when you think about 30 quid or whatever it is, isnt that much!)

However, i stand by what i said previously..... there are plenty here who simply dont answer when you contact them & I still dont know whether it's rudeness or something else. All i know is that anytime people contact me, i always respond whether in the positive or negative.

In response to 1 or 2 comments about having sample tracks & contact details, my page has always had these & hopefully they are not too dreadful as to put everyone off lol ;) ;)

And one other thing, i'm NOT sniping at BandMix. I think it's a great site & well laid out etc, so well done to BandMix :)

Anyway gripe over, out to see a local band tonight!!!

#221479 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 pm
Colin - you're new here, so will give you the benefit of the doubt. If the person with a profile you are interested in does not have any contact info in the profile, they are probably not seriously looking or haven't looked here in a long time. This place is NOT the best place to find others, but is a free place to post some music, videos and 'what you are looking for'.

Open mics give people with little playing out experience a chance to build their ability and confidence. They give musicians a chance to network with others, find out about venues and playing gigs. They are a lot of fun to play at - with NO pressure.

You say your experience is by playing with bands, how do you meet up to play with them if you aren't already playing gigs with a band (and sharing the bill)? You've got to start somewhere.

#221554 by tracey96231
Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:12 pm
I don't understand this site. Someone sent me a message and I replied - are you telling me cos I'm not a premium member, he won't get it? What's the flippin point?

#221556 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 pm
Trace,

When they message you and you are a free member, you CAN reply to them and hopefully they will even get the reply !!!!

You just can't start the messaging as a free member.

And even though you have no music, something about you is refreshing.
Do hang around awhile, but don't get any on your lapel, miss. lol

#221642 by Litost
Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:02 am
I find messaging people on here is a lot like messaging a woman on a dating website:
Even if you put genuine effort into a message and lay out exactly what you're looking for, nine times out of ten, you won't get a response... so just hit em with it and be blunt.

#221653 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm
Litost wrote:I find messaging people on here is a lot like messaging a woman on a dating website:
Even if you put genuine effort into a message and lay out exactly what you're looking for, nine times out of ten, you won't get a response... so just hit em with it and be blunt.

If you don't get a response, it could be because they dont' come here any more and used a fake email address - or one they don't use anymore - to register.

#222135 by Ms Betty Ponder
Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am
I prefer to see the glass half full and call being on here "networking". Anytime your name is on here or mentioned somewhere on the net or in real life, it's a good thing. Happy for this forum to get feedback and support any time from my fellow musicians, feed back or just to say hello.

#222379 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 pm
colin94061 wrote:Guitar Mike...
I have been playing in bands for 'several years-50 plus' & from an era when we stayed with a band until...!!
Recently however I lost my wife and had come away from gigging for some time because of her ill health etc etc...

I NOW seek to return to playing again BUT now playing just the BLUES..
I am fortunate to be drumming in a couple of 'covers' bands (despite being an accomplished guitarist & keys player...) but now seek casual blues gigs on guitar and keyboards maybe midweek/between other paid gigs...that is all.
I have 'witnessed' MANY local "open mic" events that are as I described initially and are certainly NOT for me tbh... but have never decried their usefulness to say other less attributed or experienced players...I have yet to see any muso at an open mic that I'd like to have in my band tbh & I've seen a few..!
Just saying etc etc respect..!
CC/Digger
[email protected]

I'm sure the music situation in the UK is a little different than around here. There are half a dozen open blues jams here near me every week. Good luck.

#222514 by FREDDO
Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 am
'Cause that's what musos are generally - timewasters. It's a half baked load of crap anyhow thesedays, you can't find the people especially if you are dedicated yourself it is frustrating. You sound like I would sound if I got serious over it. :roll:

#222556 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm
lol WHAAAT?

#222562 by raythebass
Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:26 pm
I know, it's just rude. I have been posting and sending messages to 'members' to try to network my band (Lurgan-based rockers 'Nevermind') with others in our locality to help get (and help other bands get) gigs. I found only a few members of the 400+ in the Northern Ireland region polite enough to respond. I'm seriously thinking about ditching this site altogether because of this. (That is not to defer or insult this nicely laid out site as I am proud it exists and does the best it can to get bands chatting). But certainly it would be a good idea co cancel the memberships of members whose:
a) 'free trial' is out of date, or
b) too lazy to log on once every so often?

#222598 by ALARM CLOCK NATION
Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 pm
Well, we did find our first drummer on here. I have found this place to be a bit of a ghost town but will see what will happen. I always give anything a shot to try and get musicians... even sites like BandMix deserve a second chance :D