This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#221499 by jessie546893
Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 am
Hello, My name is Jessie Powell. I just joined band mix. Very neat sight. Would like to meet other vocalist on this sight and create a support one for the other. Let me know if this is something that you would like to see happen in this forum. Look forward to meeting more BandMix family members. Sing and play on! Jessie

#221503 by jimmydanger
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 am
Support group for singers? Topic of discussion this week: How to avoid moving gear.

#221514 by gbheil
Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:43 pm
jimmydanger wrote:Support group for singers? Topic of discussion this week: How to avoid moving gear.

It's all about the proper application kissing hands and shaking babies while the rest of the band works their butts off.

And don't forget to study for next weeks topic.

How to show up fashionably late, and expect everything to be ready to go.
#221520 by Vampier
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:03 pm
....Just what vocalists need ... a support group ... they usually do need their egos built up and by virtue of what they "do" in the band they are almost always lacking confidence. Sorry but that is an idea that might have flown a couple of inches off the ground in the 60's but not now ... thanks for the laugh. If you learned guitar you could next start a "support" group for them as they often "suffer" ego and confidence issues as well. Are you aware that there are support groups for them and other musicians all over ... they are called wives and girl friends and they do an excellent job in my opinion.

When the winds of time begin to blow ... the fluff scatters never to be seen again. Good Luck to you.

#221523 by MikeTalbot
Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:40 pm
Don't pay us any mind Jessie. We've all got bad backs from loading gear and psychiatric problems from inter band insanity and ego problems.

I shudder to think what singers must think about guitar players! 8)

Load up some music on your profile and shut us all up by admitting you own all or part of a decent PA and piano.

(btw - I don't think from your picture that you are actually male - check the profile - typo?)

And I do wish you good luck and God bless!

Talbot
#221537 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 pm
Vampier wrote:....Just what vocalists need ... a support group ... they usually do need their egos built up and by virtue of what they "do" in the band they are almost always lacking confidence. Sorry but that is an idea that might have flown a couple of inches off the ground in the 60's but not now ... thanks for the laugh. If you learned guitar you could next start a "support" group for them as they often "suffer" ego and confidence issues as well. Are you aware that there are support groups for them and other musicians all over ... they are called wives and girl friends and they do an excellent job in my opinion.

When the winds of time begin to blow ... the fluff scatters never to be seen again. Good Luck to you.

Only people that need a support group are newbies that aren't actually doing anything at all...

#221540 by Slacker G
Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:38 pm
How to show up fashionably late, and expect everything to be ready to go.

Ain't that the truth. :) :)

#221561 by KLUGMO
Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm
I think its a great idea Jessie.

Don't pay attention to those who chose UNbiological instruments.
They hate us and need us at the same time :lol:

#221562 by gbheil
Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 am
LOL . . . we don't hate y'all.

We just want y'all to "pretend" to be a part of the band once in a while.

:wink:

Hey ! This is fun ! Can we hack on drummers next ?

:lol:

#221625 by MikeTalbot
Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm
Come on George - that would be too easy! 8)

Talbot

#221650 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm
What do you call a lead vocalist who helps hauling the equipment?

A pipe dream! :lol:

What do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?

A drummer! :P

#221664 by Starfish Scott
Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm
If you are in any band and everyone doesn't help lug the amps, start looking for a new band.

I carry just as much or more than the rest and I don't cry about it.

Who said, "you don't get paid to play, you get paid to setup and tear down".

That's for real right there, it doesn't get anymore spot on than that.

#221666 by Slacker G
Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm
Support groups for singers should include:

How to remember lyrics
When to come in on time
Singing on pitch
Singing in the same key as the band
Getting to the gig on time
Not crooning every time a hot chick walks through the door
Limiting beers to under a case a night
Not slobbering all over someone else's mike
Singing the proper lyrics to the right song after the intro

I'm sure I forgot quite a few. :)

#221675 by gbheil
Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 pm
All kidding aside, and we have recently had this discussion as a band.
We prefer our front man to be the one kissing hands and shaking babies after a show. PR is his job as far as we are concerned. Sure, if someone wants to talk to me about my guitar, amp, ETC, or just give a complement I will be glad to talk to them. Same with the rest of the guys.
But the front-man's job is to connect with the audience. Having him doing this, in many cases, allows the rest of us to focus on equipment without a lot of distraction. ( or people wandering around in the way )

We ( JERICHO MARCH ) are a tool of Christian fellowship, that implies more than just making music. In fact many times our most important "performance" is when we go out to eat, or invited to dine with the organization with whom we were booked.

#221692 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm
ALL the band should be shaking hands, doing the autograph thing after a show. George - your shows may be a little different, but at a typical club/bar show, the band ends at closing time. The manager wants the band to pack up and get out so he can lock the doors. The only straggler customers are 'house friends' or drunks too into thier drinks to leave until kicked out. At that point (and during set up) the lead singer should be doing as much as anyone else. The drummer's got to pack up his kit, the guitarists have to pack up their guitars, disconnect and pack pedals, amps, the singer should be doing the same for the mics, stands, cables, etc.