This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#220876 by Motion to the Faceless
Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 pm
JHaley! That was absolutely brilliant! I think the timing is good and also the delivery is impressive. Are you giving lessons? lol

#220879 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:06 pm
neanderpaul wrote:Funny, Jeff's version is 1:40. The original is 1:44. Seems like the tempo has to be dead on.
http://youtu.be/sI7XiJgt0vY

You know I was going to say that, but I didn't want to kick Sean.

I tell you honestly that anything that is a cover should have some of yourself in it. Don't be lured into a note by note, exact replica of anything.
If we heard it already, what is the point of that?

No, I like Jeff's version simply because it breathes a little and you can tell he's not trying to nail it note for note, off the recording.

(And as long as your breathing life into your creation, it doesn't have to be the exact timing either...if it isn't and it's good, you get points for having some style and inclination to break the mold.)

WHY BE SOMEONE ELSE WHEN YOU CAN BE YOU ???

#220888 by J-HALEY
Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:15 pm
Motion to the Faceless wrote:JHaley! That was absolutely brilliant! I think the timing is good and also the delivery is impressive. Are you giving lessons? lol

Thanks Bro! I use to play that back in the 80's and relearned it 7 years ago. I play it just enough to keep it in the ole memory banks. Sean said I was playing it too slow. That confused me because usually I get accused of playing it too fast LOL! I think some have issues with the tone and that is because I recorded this with an iPhone. Not a very good device for that but its what I have!

#220910 by Cajundaddy
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 am
I think you nailed it Jeff, nicely done!

#220914 by DainNobody
Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 am
plaing the devil's advocate here, but maybe somebody should start a poll thread with the topic who's "Eruption" do you like better? Sean's or Jeff HALEY's? I think somebody put a poll up comparing Jimmie's version of a certain Santana tune compared to Jeff's version.. forget the tune's name but it was a Santana tune..
?

#220920 by J-HALEY
Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am
Dane Ellis Allen wrote:plaing the devil's advocate here, but maybe somebody should start a poll thread with the topic who's "Eruption" do you like better? Sean's or Jeff HALEY's? I think somebody put a poll up comparing Jimmie's version of a certain Santana tune compared to Jeff's version.. forget the tune's name but it was a Santana tune..
?

Dane, you are such a spoon! :lol:

#220923 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm
Dane Ellis Allen wrote:plaing the devil's advocate here, but maybe somebody should start a poll thread with the topic who's "Eruption" do you like better? Sean's or Jeff HALEY's? I think somebody put a poll up comparing Jimmie's version of a certain Santana tune compared to Jeff's version.. forget the tune's name but it was a Santana tune..
?

Dane you're starting trouble again. lol

#220929 by jw123
Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm
Man I just got me a new axe, one of those Ibanez RGs with locking whammy bar, I might see if I can get my version of Eruption recorded somehow! yea thats the ticket, everyone record Eruption and lets see what everyones got! LOL!

I worked it out years ago, but really havent thought about it in years.

#220930 by DainNobody
Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 pm
isn't there some sort of tap harmonic technique goin' on there with it? and don't ya need the flanger set on 5-6?

#220932 by J-HALEY
Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm
jw123 wrote:Man I just got me a new axe, one of those Ibanez RGs with locking whammy bar, I might see if I can get my version of Eruption recorded somehow! yea thats the ticket, everyone record Eruption and lets see what everyones got! LOL!

I worked it out years ago, but really havent thought about it in years.

Can't wait to hear it John. You are gonna like that whammy system you can't make it go out of tune! The only thing about those RG guitars is the neck is too thin for my taste. Let me know how you like the neck especially switching from Paul to Ibenez?

#220937 by DainNobody
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:04 pm
J-HALEY wrote:
?

Dane, you are such a spoon! :lol:
oh I get it, if I propose a poll, I'm a spoon, when you proposed a poll in regards to the Santana tune, your version vs. jimmie's version, it's totally legit.. typical right-wing "righties" logic

#220938 by J-HALEY
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:26 pm
Dane, if your looking for a fight look else where brother. I haven't anytime for the juvenile bickering WE have done on this forum in the past! I was just joking with you dude. I don't know if you have noticed but I am trying to be civilized these days. Nothing NOTHING gets accomplished when we fight like school boys. :D

#220939 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:42 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Dane, if your looking for a fight look else where brother. I haven't anytime for the juvenile bickering WE have done on this forum in the past! I was just joking with you dude. I don't know if you have noticed but I am trying to be civilized these days. Nothing NOTHING gets accomplished when we fight like school boys. :D

You got it, Jeff.

"don't take the bait".. lol

#220940 by DainNobody
Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm
ok, so I'm supposed to just start controversial subject matter threads like you and Slacker to provoke people then.. I get it..

#220947 by jw123
Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:50 pm
Haley, back on subject Im digging the Ibanez. It doesnt have the bite of my LPs and I mean they are what Im about, but the taper of the volume pot on the Ibanez is longer so I can get into and out of distortion a lot smoother, on my main LP you just barely crack the volume knob and its full tilt distortion.

I love the neck, these guys Im playing with now are tuning a half step down, so it took me a while to get this sob in tune, but that neck is the fastest damn thing Ive ever owned, its just like butter! Plus you can go the full two octaves and still have my thumb over the top of the neck whereas the LPs I have to pull my thumb off the back of the neck to get to the top.

Since I got this guitar, and Ive got some time, I think Im gonna relearn Eruption, I mean what the hell! Right?

Last night we worked up YYZ, we are doing it with two guitars, and Im going to try to harmonize all the guitar parts with the other guy, should sound huge. I was suprised when they said they wanted to play it, Im like sure you do, but these guys know it backwards and forwards. So whatever happens with this band there is gonna be some real "musician" material involved, even if we follow YYZ with Mustang Sally. And the funk dance numbers theyve just said go crazy with your pedals and mimic keyboards and stuff, so its kinda cool.

Give me a few days, I am gonna do my version or the TN Redneck Version of Eruption!