This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#219242 by jw123
Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm
Got a call for a gig sat night out of the blue. Havent been playing much so no prep.

Just like I like it!
#219248 by Motion to the Faceless
Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm
jw123 wrote:Got a call for a gig sat night out of the blue. Havent been playing much so no prep.

Just like I like it!

No worries!! You have monster chops! Good luck JW.

#219249 by Paleopete
Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm
Cool. I like those too. Sometimes I really miss doing fill in gigs...

Hope you do well, It's always fun to me to be under pressure like that. did one New year's Eve actually, had a great time. Only screwed up a dozen times or so...hehe...ok just kidding, it went well and I hope yours does too.

#219255 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 pm
JW I reckon you can do the job. You know a lot of songs, have a lot of chops. It should be fun and interesting too.

Cover bands rarely sound a like - they can play the same song note for note but sound different.

Adding you to the mix will alter their current sound somewhat and the result should be interesting since I'm assuming they are pros too. Are you going to tape this?

Talbot

#219273 by gbheil
Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:31 am
I don't do "luck".

I am however very pleased that your having some musical opportunities.

Now go kill it !

#219301 by J-HALEY
Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm
How did it go?

#219371 by jw123
Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm
Haley it went great musically.

There wasnt much crowd, but we really played well together. I think I had actually played about half the songs before, it was one of those deals where the singer would say. "This is in D, when I nod you solo!"

Of course it gave me the itch to get back out there, so who knows where it might lead.

The thing for me is I really dont want to go out and rehearse a band from the ground up, you know the drill, practice for 6 monthes, do a gig and realize someone in it, isnt into it, I also dont want to committ half ass to anything. This band plays quite a bit, maybe more than I want too, not sure yet, and I havent been asked to join or anything, I was just filling in for the regular guy who was on vacation, but it seems they kinda have a rotating group of players around the main guy.

We played everything from Aint No Sunshine to Stranglehold, lots of funk dance stuff, which for clubs I think could really go over, they just need to grow a crowd.

Anyway it was a blast.

I realize I need to work on more clean tones in my playing to fit what they were doing. I tend to have a very biting tone, which I love, but after talking to the bass player, he suggested in the future to tone it down a bit. One thing about being older, Im open to suggestions on my sound from anyone, as opposed to 20 years ago when I would have said, "Fugh You!".

#219372 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 pm
I had a feeliing you would not be able to keep off the stage for long! 8)

#219373 by jimmydanger
Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 pm
Good to hear Johnny. We had a bad storm Friday and lost power at 7:30pm. I went out and bought a generator Saturday morning and spent most of the day messing with that. Then I went to the gig and didn't get home until 3am. Sunday I wake up to find the hot water tank had gone out. Spent this morning on the phone trying get someone to come out and replace it. Needless to say I'm exhausted and it's only Monday.

#219375 by jw123
Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm
Thats the thing Mike, I really think of myself as an entertainer more than anything, I enjoy playing music live, and unlike many, I dont give a fugh what Im playing as long as someone gives me a little space here and there.

We did a bunch of funk dance songs, things that were familiar but i hadnt ever playing before, so I started doing all this texture type stuff with my whammy pedal. We did some KC and I used it to emulate those real high key lines he used to use, so it was a bit different for me, Im kinda used to being a guitar god, LOL! The singer main guy plays guitar on a lot of stuff, so it gave me the chance to just throw little bits in, in my old band, I had to hold the rythym down all the time, until I soloed or go back and forth, but this was a bit different, plus most of the songs were really fun, and everyone sang, and once we figured out where our voices fit, I thought we had some killer harmony vocals going.

Yea you can tell I got the itch!

#219437 by neanderpaul
Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 am
You

are

a

rock

star!

8)

#219458 by jw123
Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm
LOL, thanks Paul, honestly thou, I think Im trying to settle into just being a good player that compliments the songs.

#219506 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm
JW you fit the mold of "Hired Gun" these days.

Just look for a setup where you pop in and it's complete.
I'd think if you find the right setup, you'll know most all of their tunes to begin with anyway, right?

#219552 by jw123
Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:43 pm
Yea Scott, like I said, I dont want to get into one of those practice for 6 monthes just to get a gig, I would rather audition with a group that is playing and let the cards fall where they may.

The bassist for this group has contacted me and said that he had the best time that he had had playing in a long time. I said cool, he said you added things Ive never heard to the songs, you were energetic, fun and even thou we didnt have a crowd you just make it fun to play. Of course he didnt say I have awesome chops, LOL. But I think being able to come in with some guys and play a whole gig and get a compliment like he did is great.

The main guy who sings, owns the pa, and runs the band said he had a great time, he and I have known each other for about 5 years, and at one time practiced with each other in this group which never did a gig. At this point he basically said Im the first guitarist on his list to call if thier guy cant do a gig, plus he said if I wanted to join forces in some way with him, lets talk about it.

So it sounds like whether I do anything again with these guys or not, I made a decent impression.

There are lots of post on here about ages, the bassist, main singer and I are all in the same age range, the drummer was 21. He was a bit green, but when we adlibbed he impressed the hell out of me. Good meter, able to play inside and outside of the beat, plus he had a knack for funk style playing that the guy I normally play with doesnt have.

Normally when I sit in with folks later thinking on it, I kinda have a bad taste in my mouth, like I will never do that again, but in this case I would jump right back in.

Im just contemplating my life musically right now and what do I want to do, I have a side of me that would love to do an original type deal, but then the live cover playing is so easy for me, so there is a conflict.