This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#17884 by AJ6stringsting
Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:52 am
My gal got me an Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I've owned the original Gibson version. The neck is thinner that a Gibson (+ for me), the guitar is alot lighter than the Gib L.P. ( relief after 3 sets) and best of all was the price.
I love it after a few adjustments (bridge/ Truss rod), the guitar plays like a dream. I may have to go to S.Duncan( Screamin' Demon) and Dimarzio (Evolution) to make me gold cover version of those pick ups !!!!
Then a fine tuning tailpiece and I'm set 8)
Last edited by AJ6stringsting on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

#18612 by Fifthstone
Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 am
Cool. I think Epiphones are way under-rated. True that the quality control varies, but when you get a good one you're golden. I have an Elitist Les Paul Standard which I love. I'd love to be able to own a few more of these. Looking at a jazz box lately.

#19338 by RobDanger
Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 am
quality control varies....i guess the inspector was asleep when my guitar came down the assembly line.

#19341 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:36 am
RobDanger wrote:quality control varies....i guess the inspector was asleep when my guitar came down the assembly line.

Lmao. I think the whole control board was asleep when my First Act was made, so asleep that they forgot to record the serial number (So I could look up its specifications!). :lol:

#19394 by Hauptmann
Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:32 am
Funny, I've got four of them (2 Birdseye Maple Limited Edition LPs, a black and white "V", and the Korina "V"), and I love 'em all - though the Korina V seems a little light. The black and white "V" has the smoothest neck I've ever played, and so far no quality control issues with any of them. The Birdseye was so fun to play (set up was perfect) that I went and bought another one just so I could spare one for later. Also own a Gibbie LP studio and Explorer, several Hamers, a Washburn and 3 Schecters, so have experience with other brands - but I tend to play the Epis 65% of the time.

#19727 by AJ6stringsting
Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 pm
RobDanger wrote:quality control varies....i guess the inspector was asleep when my guitar came down the assembly line.

I guess I was lucky. You must of gotten a factory second over the net. I tried mine out at Guitar center, took it home, did truss rod / bridge adjustments and soon S.Duncan Screamin' Demon in the neck and a Dimarzio Evolution or Steve's Special in the bridge.
Last edited by AJ6stringsting on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

#21739 by The Nameless
Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 pm
It's wonderful to hear guitarist talk about the weight of thier geetars, I just laugh. But as far as Epiphone Guitars, I'm extremely happy with my Gothic Thunderbird IV, that monster sounds brutal in such the nicest of ways. And my son has the Epiphone SG Bass as well, and it has a very clear, crisp, and precise tone that is quite surprising in a $300.00 bass!

#21896 by jw123
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:57 pm
I always wanted one of those BB King Gibsons and a few years ago went into a pawn shop and found an Epiphone Sheraton. Its a great sounding guitar and plays real good. I think I gave 175 bucks for it with a nice case.

#21903 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 pm
You mean "Lucille," that Gibson model?

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#21923 by Chris2203
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:25 pm
I have only 1 Epi and it's not really an Epi.
It's a 1982 Epiphone USA SG Special. It was made in the Kalamazoo Gibson plant, gibson hardware...gibson neck.....LOL - it's a Gibson SG with an Epi logo on it. Limited run. (too bad it's a beater now - may have been worth someting once) Plays great.

The current Epiphones I've handled are about equal to my friend's Agile and I think his Agile is a bit better due to the hardware/pups it came with. (He has the higher end Agile)
#22194 by Hauptmann
Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:07 am
I have an Agile AL-3100, Cherry Sunburst ($369) - it's a superb quality axe. The sunburst finish is spectacular, the ebony fretboard and mother of pearl markers are tits. Smooth and fast, very comfortable, great quality, however I did switch out the stock pups for Gibson Burstbucker Pros; now it looks and sounds like a $3K Gibson LP custom - but for a total outlay of about $700 (the pups were $218) - comparable to - actually better than - a higher end Epi w/stock pups (though the Epi stock pups on the whole are pretty good). Have another green quilt AL-2500 with EMGs that's also excellent. I recommend the Agiles. :D .
#22209 by Chris2203
Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:56 am
TajVI wrote:I recommend the Agiles. :D .

Me too. I was very impressed with the one my friend got.
I recommend Agile all the time to people looking for Les Paul style guitars.
Quality to bargan price, awesome guitar.
I was gonna buy one myself, the model they had called the Chrome (looked like Gibson's Platinum models) but it got discontinued by the time I got around to buying. I still plan to get one....maybe a honeyburst......

#22227 by jw123
Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:29 pm
For the price differential between and Epi and a Gibson. It just makes sense to look at these guitars. When I started I played strat copys and put hot pickups in them to get by on a shoestring. A nice Gibson Les Paul is in the 1500 dollar range these days and an Epi can be had for 300-600.

#22247 by Starfish Scott
Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:37 pm
lol JW, you can get a Epiphone SG for 150$. I did.. Now I am selling it for 200$.

It lists for $389.
#22354 by Hauptmann
Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:45 pm
As for Epis, I mentioned earlier the Birdseye top LP standard - these were one of Epiphone's "limited edition" runs, but they seem to be made with more finesse than the average standard. I got one of these two years ago, and I love the feel of the neck. It plays fast and super smooth. The transamber birdseye finish is real impressive. I left the stock pups in it as they are hot enough for me, and have a vintage full sound without being too sharp. I did switch out the gold bell knobs for amber-gold speed knobs (I personally just don't like the bell knobs), but no other changes. I was so impressed with the feel and sound of this axe, that I have since gone looking for more (though they're no longer produced) and bought two, so have three total now. If you're looking for a solid, high quality Epi, but aren't sure which model, I recommend an LP Standard - but one of the Limited Edition (plus top) models (average around $599) - I think they're a better buy for the money than an Epi Custom, and the Limited Edition top may enhance the value one day. Visit my website link (use the button below in the corner) - there's a shot there of the birdseye with the amber speed knobs (though the top is more of a lighter gold than it looks in the pic):
Last edited by Hauptmann on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.