This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#216944 by jw123
Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 pm
Planet guy for the sake of discusion, if you see an ad that fits what you think you want, but they do say an age requirement, then from thier side you dont fit what ever they are trying to do.

Thats my main point.

Not really different from a guitar player who decides to play bass to get a gig, then gets into a band and thinks hes better than the guitarist and disrupts everything, when he signed on to play bass. LOL, Ive been on both sides of the fence with this issue.

I have thru the years played with a lot of different age musicians, I just dont want to commit to something, where the age difference may inhibit the bands direction.

My cover band Aint Yo Mama, we are all between 42 and 50. Basically we all grew up in the same musical era. SO the roots of what we do are the same, if that makes sense. For me my formative years of playing hard rock are my basis of everything I do, even thou I have slipped over into a lot of different genres, and I think at times I incorporated that into my cover band, where we might take a rock song, and play it raggae style.

Im sure there are some genres where age doesnt matter, but in the end its the musicians choice, and if a group wants to go after a certain age group, then thats thier choice. If you join a group, then you are joining whatever they are doing, you either fit in or you dont. If age is a requirement, or what they want, then you dont fit and never will, so its best just to move on.

Im not trying t argue this, just discuss it, so dont take me as being arguementative on this subject, I have been called to old for a few bands in the past, it just is what it is. If you encounter it, just best to move on to the next thing out there.

#216951 by Paleopete
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 pm
Ever see Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder" video? Gilmour and the guys were in their 50's or so, half the band was 25 or less. That bass played looks like he's barely out of high school...Other pros like Clapton have had kids no more than 25 in their bands. BB King's 80 something birthday show in Mineola MS, he had guys in his band well under 30...

I auditioned for a band in San Antonio that turned out to be 3 kids barely out of high school into metal...not my thing really, and they practically begged me to join their band, I was over 40...took me over a half hour to convince them I didn't think I was the guitar player they needed, I just wasn't into what they were playing. We had a really fun audition/jam session, I had a good time, but I finally told them look guys, I'm just not into this. I'll be looking around for something I am into, do you really want a guy you already know is going to pull up stakes at some point?

I see it this way. If they don't want guys over 35, I must be too good for them...

#216954 by Planetguy
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 pm
jw123 wrote:Im not trying t argue this, just discuss it, so dont take me as being arguementative on this subject, I have been called to old for a few bands in the past, it just is what it is. If you encounter it, just best to move on to the next thing out there.

i totally got that jw. no worries, as i always respect your informed and level headed posts ...and the fact that it takes a lot to get you to come out swinging and throwing punches.

#216965 by jsantos
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:01 pm
In our new original project, the majority of the band is in the early 20's as our drummer is the youngest at 21. Our oldest member, the bass guitarist is 50 whom I have worked with in other bands, and has been the greatest asset to our group, musically and as a friend to all of us. His level of commitment, patience, and approach to solving problems both musically and with human issues keep this band progressing smoothly. He doesn't dress like the youngsters in our circuit but they all know and respect his abilities. His wife and oldest kid always attend our shows and they are great people. Age shouldn't be a factor when you have a great team making good music.

#216972 by Joewillplay
Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm
Well it's a good thread.I'm 65 Ive played with as young as 19 to as old as 66.
Jimmy you make the best points.Yes from my past experience you do get very stagnant.Yes if you got money you can by some good gear.I play sometimes with a podiatrist,and he has nice gear.My song selection has changed a little.I now buy a $5.00 cd out of the Walmart bin occasionally.
The drummer I play with is 54.We do stuff like"the Band" Dylan,Tom Petty,
Greatful dead an occasional Zepplin song.My daughter ans son-in-law have a small group and have a more updated song list(Little white church)that vain.She ask me to set in with them the next time they play,which is in June.So for what it's worth,don't be a slob and keep your listening ears on.My perspective.

#216978 by Deadguitars
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm
Joewillplay wrote:Greatful dead an occasional Zepplin song.My daughter ans son-in-law have

Bad Joe !
ImageImage

8)

#216983 by jimmydanger
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 pm
At least he didn't say NotSoGreatful Dead. :wink:

#216986 by Deadguitars
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm
jimmydanger wrote:At least he didn't say NotSoGreatful Dead. :wink:

even worse he misspelled LED ZEPPELIN
:mrgreen:

#216988 by Joewillplay
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:35 pm
OK,OK, let's not go kicking the sh*t out of me just yet.I know it's probably lame.I know I'm nostalgic at times.I like playing,I enjoy what I do and I mis spell a lot,I mean a lot.So hell fellows it's not the end of the world music and performing as we know it today.I'll probably will be playing the same ol dribble when I'm 80 and beyond.Let me know how your doing 20 yrs. from now,I'll be here.

#217017 by Deadguitars
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm
Joewillplay wrote:OK,OK, let's not go kicking the sh*t out of me just yet.I know it's probably lame.I know I'm nostalgic at times.I like playing,I enjoy what I do and I mis spell a lot,I mean a lot.So hell fellows it's not the end of the world music and performing as we know it today.I'll probably will be playing the same ol dribble when I'm 80 and beyond.Let me know how your doing 20 yrs. from now,I'll be here.

:)
Just having fun Joe Dude
Anyone who plays G.D. is A OK in my book

#217020 by jw123
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm
Deadguitars wrote:
Joewillplay wrote:OK,OK, let's not go kicking the sh*t out of me just yet.I know it's probably lame.I know I'm nostalgic at times.I like playing,I enjoy what I do and I mis spell a lot,I mean a lot.So hell fellows it's not the end of the world music and performing as we know it today.I'll probably will be playing the same ol dribble when I'm 80 and beyond.Let me know how your doing 20 yrs. from now,I'll be here.

Just having fun Joe Dude
Anyone who plays G.D. is A OK in my book

Dead I misread this and thought you said anyone that says G.D is ok in my book, now now what book would that be?

Just kidding around, Dead you are cool because of hat guitar you have! LOL!

#217036 by Deadguitars
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 pm
it is a nice geetar - I aint close to being the best player here -but I have the nicest axe !

Just having fun
- Tom

#217037 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 pm
I have to say this was a pretty cool thread.
Brought out the best in Mark, Jimmy, and even dragged out JW.

Yes DG... that's a fine guitar.

Hey Mark thanks... that was nice! 8)

#217043 by Joewillplay
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:54 pm
Deadguitars wrote:Image
it is a nice geetar - I aint close to being the best player here -but I have the nicest axe !

Just having fun
- Tom
Your a good one Dead.I don't take things so serious,Hey man you gotta like it it to be here and not be afraid of a little rubbing.

#217100 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 pm
That is a pretty darn nice looking guitar DG. I wonder if I could get one with a Fender style maple neck? My fingers erupt in boils on rosewood necks and my personality takes a dive. 8)

Talbot