This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5947 by Melodic Insomnia
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:27 pm
John was such a huge part of Zeppelins groove. Sometimes I just listen to, and try to isolate his track on any particular song, and am amazed by some of his licks.

#6109 by Casey of Black Santa
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:26 pm
he was good, and probably still is. i just hate how you can't always hear him too well amongst the guiatr and drums and Plant's stupid vocals (no offense, my oppinion). it's too bad cuz he played some cool licks. "Ramble On" was the song that made me listen to him more and it's the only Zep song i don't mind jamming around on.

#6292 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 pm
Like so many other great Bass Players, Lack of recognition. He would have to be good to play along side "Bonham". [One of'm My Favorite] Like Casey said, I respect what Plant has done and he is a unique vocalist, But I dont really care for his vocals that much. Only my personal opinion on the type & style of vocalist I like.{ Bass & Drums, Heart & Soul of a band.}

#6589 by SDavis22
Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:54 pm
I've heard (I wasn't around at that time) that he did get a lot of respect along with the rest of the band. They never did interviews or anything so their fans were extra excited when they'd show up in concert. They were like the Beatles in that their fans knew all four members and reveled in each of their contributions.

I know that in my generation people generally know the Page/Plant duo but not John Paul Jones or Bonham (I mean casual fans - the real fanatics know them all!). I think they were/are amazing musicians and each of them were as talented as the other. I still find it intriguing to watch them play (in their heyday) songs like Dazed and Confused, stretch it out to 25 minutes, improvise most of it, and stay together in time/tune/melody. They make it seem so easy but it would be hard to find another band (and there are some) that knows each others' instincts so well and pull off brilliant improvisation on stage.

I personally love Robert Plant's voice... His vocals were powerful, emotional, improvisational, and steeped in the blues... He was one of the very best British blues-wailers from the rock era, and played the harp like a seasoned bluesman as well.

Two of my favorite John Paul Jones songs are Good Times, Bad Times and Custard Pie...

#6593 by Vocals & Bass
Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm
Hell...Bub! You know more about Zep. than I do. Thanks for the info. I have two sons the same age as you are, 22yrs. Right? Wish they were into some of the older bands like you are. One son is at Dover Air Force base in Delaware. He knows of bands that Ive never even heard of, There are just so many out there to choose from. My other son is in Florida, Born & raised there. He likes some alternative rock, He is mostly into the gangster stlye, Rap. There are so many different ways they classify the styles of music anymore, I dont know which style is what anymore. Like "Indie" is new to me. Sounds like some kind of "Terrorist" style. Ha,ha. Oh well....Keep up on the great info. bro!......Later.

#7154 by DAN THE MAN
Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:10 pm
HE WAS AND STIL IS A GREAT BASS PLAYER AND VERY GOOD AT THE KEYBOARDS THE GUY IS AWSOME

#10017 by mistermikev
Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 pm
best paul riff ever: "leaves are fallen all around... it's time I was on my way, but still I'm much abliged: for such a pleasant stay"(ramble on)

can't get enough jpj but ya can't count out bonham (levee - so simple but so wonderful) or page(the rain song) or plant (squeez my lemon).

-they just don't make em like that anymore.
#10215 by Sorna Project
Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 pm
Real, true players do, but there are a lot of stupid close minded ones. I mean some people have never heard of Y. Malmsteen. How stupid can you be. Musician or not. I mean c'mon

#14810 by OldMusiciansNeverDie
Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 pm
I don't think John Paul Jones was ever given the appropriate REP for his role in Zep. And...I always wonder why Paige & Plant did not include him in their first "reunion" tour? Man that had hurt! My favorite JPJ work is in the live version of Dazed and Confused. He tears it up!!!!

#21504 by Joord
Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:33 am
I've asked quite a few of my friends (although we are all around the same age group... 16-20) and they all say the same thing.

Me: Name the members of Led Zep!
Them: Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Johnny B! and... erm...

So I asked my friends parents... and got the same bloody answer!

He is NOT respected as much as he should be. H'e s a bloody good bassist (and a good organ player, too!)

#21511 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:08 pm
Joord wrote:I've asked quite a few of my friends (although we are all around the same age group... 16-20) and they all say the same thing.

Me: Name the members of Led Zep!
Them: Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Johnny B! and... erm...

So I asked my friends parents... and got the same bloody answer!

He is NOT respected as much as he should be. H'e s a bloody good bassist (and a good organ player, too!)

I am 19, so I am in your age group. I did not know who the heck he was whatsoever until my mother told me. He never got the credit he deserved and he was a brilliant bassist and keyboardist.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#21588 by HowlinJ
Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:45 am
I don't know about bass playin' but he surenuff ripped up Captain Peirson's "H.M.S. Scrapis"!

#21589 by Irminsul
Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:48 am
The real question is: Did John Paul Jones get his proportional share of the booze and ass?

#21594 by HowlinJ
Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:53 am
If ya regard French wine and girls "booze & ass"! :D

wait a minute, ......OH THAT John Paul Jones!....nevermind.... :oops:

#21726 by jimmydanger
Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:12 pm
Even back in the day JPJ was highly regarded. Jimmy Page wrote the tunes but JPJ was the rock.