This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#215291 by Slacker G
Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm
On the news last night I heard about a proposal to classify those who "can't get along without their coffee in the morning as mentally ill. That along with a myriad of other so called "Addictions" are going to fall under the classification of mental illness. Thank god that this won't be covered by the gun laws that they are trying to force down our throats.. or will it?

http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-add ... l-disorder

Caffeine Addiction a Mental Disorder?

StumbleUpon

caffeine-addiction-mental-disorder well it will be a mental disorder if Roland Griffiths, a professor of behavioral biology and neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, has his way.

He is hoping to get caffeine addiction listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DMS) which is published by the American Psychiatric Association. Basically this is the book mental health practitioners use to diagnose people with mental disorders or illnesses. If something isn’t in the the DMS then people can’t be diagnosed.

Dr. Griffiths just completed a comprehensive caffeine-withdrawal study and believes that caffeine should be considered an addictive substance and people who are addicted have a mental disorder similar to people who are addicted to other substances such as heroin or cocaine. He is hoping that the American Psychiatric Association will consider his study and vote to include caffeine addiction and withdrawal in the 2010 edition of the DMS.

OK, so what does this mean for the millions of people dependent on caffeine? Well here are the pros and cons.
Pros

* You can use caffeine withdrawal as a legitimate excuse to miss school or work.
* You can get insurance to pay for counseling to help you quit.
* You could get free government funded caffeine patches.
* You could steal energy drinks and use your “caffeine withdrawal mental disorder” as a defense in court.
* If you’re a “Beverage Cooler Slave” you could claim disability and never work another day in your life!

Cons

* You will be labeled with a mental disorder and called “Mental” legitimately.
* You could be forced into court ordered caffeine addiction rehab.
* Your boss could use it as an excuse to finally fire you for your frequent coffee/energy drink breaks and hyperactivity.
* You’ll be dumb and poor because you use it too much as an excuse to miss school and work.

Those addicted to caffeine do not really need to check into addiction treatment centers, but they should at least cut back on the espresso because too much caffeine intake does have its drawbacks. What is this world coming too? What do you think about Griffiths’ plan to have caffeine addiction and withdrawal added to the DMS as a mental disorder?

Source: National Geographic, Psychology Today

#215293 by PaperDog
Fri May 24, 2013 1:41 pm
It sounds like the work or ATF agents, who ran out of stuff to do... Now they prolly believe that tobacco addiction leads to gun ownership...since if there is an addiction, then smokers must be mentally unstable and must therefore not be allowed to own a gun. On the other hand, its okay to be a drinker, since ATF has solved the warrning-notice problem in Bars ...lol

#215297 by jimmydanger
Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 pm
You can have my coffee when you pull it out of my cold stiff fingers.

#215305 by Planetguy
Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 pm
first they came for our sprite...not being a sprite drinker i said nothing.
then they came for our chai...not being a chai drinker.......
#215321 by Vampier
Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm
....Does this mean that StarBucks are equivalent to Drug Dealers and those in their employ are "pushers" ????? How utterly ridiculous do things have to become before any common sense, horse sense, values, intellect and Spirituality kick in ???? Excellent comment Jimmy ... "from my cold dead fingers".

#215341 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 pm
The DMS is a crock of sh*t!

#215359 by Kramerguy
Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm
too bad that cup of coffee wasn't armed, or it could have defended itself.

#215382 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat May 25, 2013 1:09 am
Sorry Slacker. I thought that was a realistic , relevant post.

Seems that it was turned around immediately.

I wonder why? :shock:

#215410 by Slacker G
Sat May 25, 2013 2:34 pm
GLENNY J wrote:Sorry Slacker. I thought that was a realistic , relevant post.

Seems that it was turned around immediately.

I wonder why? :shock:

No problem, Glen.

I only posted it for those who have ears to hear and eyes to see. As it is with you, they also understand what lies ahead.

#215495 by 1collaborator
Sun May 26, 2013 3:48 pm
I think its the ones trying to make these laws that are mentally challenged!!