This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#214655 by Jahva
Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 am
before all is taken from me... :?
I think this tune is done... it's got a fork stickin in it's arse! :P Kind of a Bluesy acoustic thing.
First on my player called "Shine a light"
Any thoughts... this is a first mix so have at it.

#214658 by gbheil
Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am
I'm not a man of the "fine ear" to do a lot of critique on mixes ETC.
I like and greatly enjoy your music.

Me . . . I'd like to be able to make out the vocals a little better, though I don't feel it is a volume issue as much as clarity.
But who knows punch it 1-2db might fix it right up.

I could hear a light background of my Gibson / Marshall set @ 11 on a song like that. 8)

Thanks for posting music.

#214676 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 am
Yea, turn the vocals up just a notch - more during the pre-lead bridge (I can hear something there, but not what), and either put an electric lead in or turn up the volume on the acoustic lead, especially after the 1st verse.
Something to put the 'refrain' more up-front, would be nice, too - another instrument, or a harmony, maybe?
Other than that, nice short song!

#214698 by Jahva
Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 pm
Sans... IDK if I'll ever have much clarity from my vocals it's not intentional... just the way it comes out. That's why I usually try to post the lyrics along with a song.

After some fresh ears this morning yeah the vocals can be tweak up a notch same for a few git spots as you mentioned Mike.
I had a string section on the bridge that I backed off of last minute I'll post it later you can tell me if it resolves the absence during that part.

Thanks for your input Guys! 8)

#214702 by Cajundaddy
Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm
I agree Jahva,
You write cool lyrics and people want to hear em.

Try this: Find a track by Jackson Brown or someone with a similar style of music and use it as a A/B reference while mixing. Work towards the same balance and clarity as the Pro track and see what you get. Once you have good balance and clarity, make it your own.

#214712 by Jahva
Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 pm
Johnny... I've never tried that before but I'll give a go.
Just need to find the right sound or song.
I've gotten some good direction and input here... don't always agree with it but always willing to give it a try.
There are a few performance issues I'm going to correct then if time doesn't run out on me... try a new mix this evening.
Thanks again 8)

#214725 by MScott
Wed May 15, 2013 6:38 pm
Something I've found helpful is to make a copy of the part you want to "kick up" then adjust -3 to -6db and use EQ to notch-it-back-up and bring out the "best sounding" aspect of the track...

Additionally, I find that cutting the louder guitar parts can help to create space for the vocal (panning left/right helps, too).... Also, adjust some of the muddiness and boxiness out of the vocal using a parametric EQ.

I sometimes use an application called har-bal to help with a challenging track. I can pull in the hq wav track and tweak it to find the overall better sonic sweet spots... Enhance those slightly, and back off the other frequencies just a smidge... Works with acoustic guitar and vocals especially well... Sometimes a little chorus or flanger added to the extra track gives it what it needs to fit well and stand out.

Tweak (as best as you can) to find the breath sound in the vocal, too - that alone adds a LOT to the overall analog nature of vocal tracks.

#214733 by The KIDD
Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 pm
First off , I enjoyed the tune. I think the vocal DB level is fine. I recorded it and did some parametric cuts (1000Q width) at 170 and 258 HZ that took some of that low mid "drone" out and that allow the vocals presense to be out front more. . Then , I ran it through the sonic maximizer and that cut more low mids (maybe too much) but added "sheen" to the vocal. Hard to EQ an MP3 not having the full WAV. Yeah, its just a sonic space battle IMO. Ive found that slight amounts of panning can fix alot that kinda thang too.

KIDD

#214737 by Jahva
Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm
MScott
Thanks for the tip I like the idea of a dupe track and just adjusting a few points. I have a real minimal DAW w/o much EQing available... but it's fine for just putting ideas together. Not a whole lot of production goes into much of what I do via software anyway.
I just gave a listen to your music interesting sounds. I've never been much into progressive sounds, but you've got some cool sounding grooves going.
Kind of soundtrack/sounds.
Nice work.

#214740 by Jahva
Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm
The KIDD wrote:First off , I enjoyed the tune. I think the vocal DB level is fine. I recorded it and did some parametric cuts (1000Q width) at 170 and 258 HZ that took some of that low mid "drone" out and that allow the vocals presense to be out front more. . Then , I ran it through the sonic maximizer and that cut more low mids (maybe too much) but added "sheen" to the vocal. Hard to EQ an MP3 not having the full WAV. Yeah, its just a sonic space battle IMO. Ive found that slight amounts of panning can fix alot that kinda thang too.

KIDD

:shock:

Oy thanks TK!

You lost me at parametric cuts... but I got back on board at the panning. But yeah man a battle in the mid-range. One of the few things I try to monitor when I mix especially if it gets sounding a bit muddish! :P

This other tune I'm about done with forced me to try a few different bass approaches because of the same battle for that mid tone. In the end the guitars won!

Thanks again for your input! 8)

#214742 by MikeTalbot
Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm
Thanks for reminding me guys, of how pathetically unprepared I am for doing my own recording.

Jahva - good sh*t man. For real.

Talbot

#214749 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 am
Ecch too much acoustic guitar..next poll subject.
#214760 by PaperDog
Thu May 16, 2013 5:45 am
Jahva wrote:before all is taken from me... :?
I think this tune is done... it's got a fork stickin in it's arse! :P Kind of a Bluesy acoustic thing.
First on my player called "Shine a light"
Any thoughts... this is a first mix so have at it.

Excellent one Jahva... Damn...wish I could jump in on this one with you...

It aint done...

you need:

1) A heavy /richer base line? I hear one...but it lacks presence...
2) Piano
3) A viola.
4) Glocks

or not?

Anyway..love the tune and the lyrics are great too.

8)

#214767 by Jahva
Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Thanks for reminding me guys, of how pathetically unprepared I am for doing my own recording.

Jahva - good sh*t man. For real.

Talbot

Mike,
Thanks bro... but really man just push record and play! :P I'm sure you remember being a youngster with a cassette recorder and a guitar... don't let this chit be any more than that. We just call em DAW's now.

Scott,
Thanks for giving a listen... even if it wasn't palatable to your buds!

PD,
Thanks man... Oh yeah a Piano would sit real well in this tune. I may have to explore that.
I would bet a "real" bassist would find the right spots to ehance or just add a phrase or two. I'm still learning to play it... not too comfortable just yet. I'm a bit too robotic. Don't practice enough to get that real free flow feel! Thanks again! 8)
But Yeah... piano would sit real well in it!