This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#211757 by ssemble
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm
Joewillplay wrote:Went in to your profile and listened to your song.
Sounds like everything else you here everyday,you night want to go back and cover something good and make it your own.garbage in garbage out.

Not my song, just an exercise...

My Garbage is folorn...

#211758 by ssemble
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm
Starfish Scott wrote:You do what you love.

If you don't love it, don't do it.

I can dig that
#211766 by ssemble
Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm
Joewillplay wrote:Hmmm,I wonder when clapton was covering elmore james,robert johnson,and the beatles were covering buddy holly and carl perkins and every musician I know was covering chuck berry thought the way you do.
Gotta start somewhere brother.Did you come right out of the gate writting or did you ever cover?????

The first instrument i had access to was my grandparents piano when i was about 5-6 years old. i spent many an hour just making noises that i deemed enjoyable. Other days i spent listening to my other Grandfather making crazy tunes on his uke. He wouldn't have know who Robert Johnson was, now George Formby there's a legend.

Played professionally for many years, covers, originals some i enjoyed others just total croc.
#211786 by ssemble
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:36 am
I wonder if Lawyers have a forum they bitch on...

Just a thought...
#211801 by Joewillplay
Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:30 pm
ssemble wrote:I wonder if Lawyers have a forum they bitch on...

Just a thought...
Yes it's called a court house,and they get paid a bunch of money to do it.

#211806 by ssemble
Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm
Jahva wrote:Ahhhh.... live and let live!
I know a guitarist who could sit down and play the entire Frampton Comes Alive album... note for note. He's fun to watch. You know the tunes... you can sing along with him... That's his thing. I aint mad at him... what's the point he plays has fun and people enjoy him.

Regardless of what you choose to do, are you entertaining?
That's what musicians are suppose to do.... right?
Why concern yourself with what others choose...

On my closing note, you are wisdom personified!

#212274 by alan84861
Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm
I recently had a session with a covers band who were looking for a second/lead guitar. I don't mind covers, but not when all they want you to do is play every note as the original. However, they were a punk/metal band and then it was "No, we want to do the Metalica version of this song" Needless to say, it wasn't for me; I'll happily play in or listen to a covers band, but I like to do something original or unexpected with a well known song. Best cover band I ever saw? Hayseed Dixies. If you don't know who they are, check them out.

#212310 by Joewillplay
Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 am
alan84861 wrote:I recently had a session with a covers band who were looking for a second/lead guitar. I don't mind covers, but not when all they want you to do is play every note as the original. However, they were a punk/metal band and then it was "No, we want to do the Metalica version of this song" Needless to say, it wasn't for me; I'll happily play in or listen to a covers band, but I like to do something original or unexpected with a well known song. Best cover band I ever saw? Hayseed Dixies. If you don't know who they are, check them out.
With respect the author that story made his point.I like doing covers but it's my cover and I make it mine and hope I don't offend the artist who wrote the song.

#217896 by kalem6572
Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 pm
If it wasn't for cover bands, some of the greatest music ever written would have been lost and forgotten. Artist do covers and that often leads to the listener listening to the original artist. I would say nearly all major artist have covered tracks in their history.

#219955 by Puddleglum
Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 am
I don't hate cover bands but I tend to perk up when they apologise for playing 'one of their own', I will be highly critical of their cover versions (they are never as good as the originals unless they do a different take on it) but I will be kinder for just attempting to capture their audience with a self penned song and sometimes it's not actually bad, and other times I think they should stick to doing covers.

On the other hand I have seen bands that play original material and breathed a sigh of relief when they play a cover of something I know and like, it usually turns out it's their best song.

Seeing a band play their own stuff and thinking this is brilliant, ie good songs, well played and with a good sound engineer is so rare but mostly they are the bands that make money and get famous ... music is too subjective and liable to fashion to try and define 'good', I have seen original band that the media raves about but I thought they were sh*t and 6 months later they are forgotten, other bands who were ignored because no-one understood them (they are usually doing something very original and/or unique) and 2 years later they are tax exiles with a million dollar album under their wings. Some bands make it through sheer persistance and others get lucky and signed on their 3rd gig, there are no hard and fast rules to music and being successful is both difficult and easy, it's staying consistently successful that is the real challenge.

Sometimes you need the average bands to define the quality bands and no music is ever not worthwhile in some shape or form, I'd rather people did crappy music than none at all because a world without music would leave us all a little empty.
#219971 by Starfish Scott
Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:50 pm
ssemble wrote:I wonder if Lawyers have a forum they bitch on...

Just a thought...

YES THEY DO.. I was just looking at one.

#220262 by Cajundaddy
Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:54 am
Lest we forget...

The Beatles, The Yardbirds, The Stones, Hendrix, SRV, Dire Straits, Van Halen, were all cover bands. The Beatles and The Stones first two albums and tours were almost entirely covers. Van Halen played The Kinks, Blues and Zeppelin covers at dive bars and backyard parties every weekend for 5 long years. This is where they honed their chops and made amazing original music possible.

Hate less, gig more! :D

#221014 by Jackie888
Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 pm
Really interesting points being made.

I follow covers bands and originals bands. I do groan when all the standards come out eg "Sex on Fire", "Valerie", "I Shot the Sherriff" etc as I'm done with those kind of songs. I came across a band one time that covered all the songs I forgot I knew from my youth. It was SO refreshing!

So, my advice would be to keep up with the covers bands, we all enjoy dancing and singing to what we know, but leave the standards to the lesser bands and cover the less common but still popular ones. The one I loved the most that I hadn't heard for ages was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVweiOfGJ5A

Jackie