This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#207497 by FREDDO
Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm
Creating is hard because just about everything has been done, at least with conventional instruments (drum, bass, guitar, vocals, etc).

Disagree strongly. The dying out of progressive rock has caused a lot of creative constipation. I think there are still a thousand things to do originally. Everytime I pick up my guitar an idea pops out, but that's just lucky me. In the end it's all about enjoyment but the cover thing if you are a musician is a bit of a drag.

#207534 by mdh studios
Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm
GOD ON BASS wrote:Creating is hard because just about everything has been done, at least with conventional instruments (drum, bass, guitar, vocals, etc).

Disagree strongly. The dying out of progressive rock has caused a lot of creative constipation. I think there are still a thousand things to do originally. Everytime I pick up my guitar an idea pops out, but that's just lucky me. In the end it's all about enjoyment but the cover thing if you are a musician is a bit of a drag.

I totally have to agree with that. I mean, new musical ideas have been getting made, refined and perfected for thousands of years, and you're telling me that suddenly we've peaked out and there's nothing left to do? That reminds me of when the U.S. Patent Office closed on account of there "being nothing left to invent." That didn't last, trust me. And whatever stagnation is going on, it won't either. There's nothing more constant than change, and that's always going to be true with music.

#208927 by Victoria-Alison
Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am
At the end of the day, is it not about the love of music and being able to play & perform??
Whether that be in covers or originals?
In a time where we are trying to "Keep music live" a lot of venues won't pay original bands and i'm guessing that there are a lot of musicians out there who are self employed and need to make a living and covers are the way forward.
Yes money is a factor in this but I think you'll find that most musicians will jump at the opportunity just to play.

I love going to my local at the weekend and seeing a live covers band. Yes, they mostly play the same songs, but it's those songs that the public want to hear. It's all about the atmosphere and having a good time with your friends, jumping and dancing about like a loon on loon tablets!

I was in a functions / cover band for over 4 years and I loved it. Being able to sing and perform to people was a great experience and I love the fact that I made someone's day special by having my band perform for them.

I also write my own music and I have to say that by being in a covers band it helped to develop my own songs in terms of structure, melodies and even finding my own voice and other musicians to work with.

Your opinion is just that of a snob

#208938 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm
You're right, V-A!

Saturday night I was at a friend's band's gig and when they started Mustang Sally, I groaned. It's one of those songs I never want to play (or hear) again. Yet the crowd loved it and was shouting along with the 'ride Sallyu ride' part. :roll:

#210007 by Camels hump
Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm
Fraid the bubble has bust, way too much music out there. When records and CDs were out there punters sort out live music now we have hundreds of colleges churning out those who would rather class themselves as a professional musician than get a job, they spend their time in the bedroom/studio dreaming of writing the next number one which for 99% wont happen. Just so many sites to upload their rubbish its everywhere why should I seek out live music I may as well save the drive, and expensive beer and if I want to listen to crap just switch on "You Tube". I have suffered my share I engineered for an A&R Company six bands a night three nights a week and my question is "WHat PLanet"

#210025 by Starfish Scott
Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:02 pm
You do what you love.

If you don't love it, don't do it.

#210805 by Cosmic Gypsies
Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm
[quote="Guitar Guru"]What do you count as a covers band? I have worked with very few jazz groups that played original material for much of the night, yet most of them sounded quite fresh & original in their approach

I really agree with you there...it depends what your playing and how well your playing it and then, if you improving on the original or at least as good as in a different way..for example...take a Led Zepplin song and make it gospel could be interesting. But carbon copies done badly is painful!
#210940 by ssemble
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 pm
TARIFF wrote:
Yeah the trouble with many musicians especially guitarists is they all want to be a Setzer or Clapton, then of course i am easily irritated by bombastic so called musicians trying to pigeonhole what and how you should play, isn't that the whole point to create your own style (Especially smart arsed keyboard players who are always so predictable in their approach and philosophy)

I LIKE WHAT I HEAR, AS LONG AS I CAN HEAR IT?

Oh I'm glad i got that off my chest....

I've just realized i have a pathological hatred of keyboard players?

/Rant off
Last edited by ssemble on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#210942 by ssemble
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 pm
TARIFF wrote:I BLAME THE PARENTS, IT'S BLOODY CRUEL TO GIVE YOUR CHILD FALSE HOPE, LETTING THEM BELIEVE THEY HAVE TALENT WHEN THEY SOUND LIKE ANOTHER TWAT FACTOR CONTESTANT.
/Rant off

#211550 by ssemble
Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 am
GOD ON BASS wrote:Creating is hard because just about everything has been done, at least with conventional instruments (drum, bass, guitar, vocals, etc).

I think many musicians are unable to think outside the box because of the way the industry is run/portrayed. The older style musicians, current and past spent much more time just playing rather than acting the role. If you play and practice enough ideas do come, just don't listen to the crap that's churned out today. If all you think about is money and fame then for the majority it's gonna be a long and fruitless journey.
#211746 by Joewillplay
Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 pm
Hmmm,I wonder when clapton was covering elmore james,robert johnson,and the beatles were covering buddy holly and carl perkins and every musician I know was covering chuck berry thought the way you do.
Gotta start somewhere brother.Did you come right out of the gate writting or did you ever cover?????

#211752 by Joewillplay
Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 pm
Went in to your profile and listened to your song.
Sounds like everything else you here everyday,you night want to go back and cover something good and make it your own.garbage in garbage out.

#211754 by Joewillplay
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm
Guitar guru,you make good sense and put it in a nutshell just fine
#211756 by ssemble
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 pm
Joewillplay wrote:Hmmm,I wonder when clapton was covering elmore james,robert johnson,and the beatles were covering buddy holly and carl perkins and every musician I know was covering chuck berry thought the way you do.
Gotta start somewhere brother.Did you come right out of the gate writting or did you ever cover?????

Yeah, not what i meant but good point.