This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#208903 by The KIDD
Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 am
Hey Gang,

Been playin an old "borrowed" 80's Peavey Predator copy (12"radius) for 3 yrs and have to give it back next week. ..Kinda unexpected after 3 YRS!!! Laughing Tryin to talk him into sellin it but ...? Just wonderin if any avid Strat players have played/owned the "60's Classic Player" or the Deluxe Player?. Have you ever compared them? If so, Id like to hear your likes , dislikes, opinions etc regarding both. Their specs are very closely related. Ive watched alotta youtube reviews but havent seen/heard a comparison...Thought about tryin to get an another Pedator but alittle hesitant about gettin something 20- 30 yrs old USED. Anyway, any info regarding either model would be appreciated.
PS..CRAP!..It wont let me edit my emoticons back in..LOL)
Thanks,
KIDD
#209114 by J-HALEY
Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 pm
The KIDD wrote:Hey Gang,

Been playin an old "borrowed" 80's Peavey Predator copy (12"radius) for 3 yrs and have to give it back next week. ..Kinda unexpected after 3 YRS!!! Laughing Tryin to talk him into sellin it but ...? Just wonderin if any avid Strat players have played/owned the "60's Classic Player" or the Deluxe Player?. Have you ever compared them? If so, Id like to hear your likes , dislikes, opinions etc regarding both. Their specs are very closely related. Ive watched alotta youtube reviews but havent seen/heard a comparison...Thought about tryin to get an another Pedator but alittle hesitant about gettin something 20- 30 yrs old USED. Anyway, any info regarding either model would be appreciated.
PS..CRAP!..It wont let me edit my emoticons back in..LOL)
Thanks,
KIDD

The Fender delux strat is a GREAT guitar and you can't go wrong with that. I would go with an HSS pickup system that way you have that humbucker sound in the lead position and the beautiful strat single coil and they clean up nicely! I would advise against a Mexican strat for the reason they only have 21 frets. most all American made strats have 22 frets and that is a minimum for me. any of the American Standard strats are great but most have the SSS pup array depending on which genre you play any of them will work. you can't go wrong with a Strat! :wink:

#209160 by The KIDD
Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 am
Hey man , thanks for the reply. Yeah, I wondered about the HSS as a choice when I was lookin at the MIMs at Sweetwater..(MIA outta the question for now)..Trouble is, (being a guy who plays gtr, and not a gtr player) 90% of my playin is on the bridge pickup.. :lol: ..Like an idiot, I set up all my sounds and EQ on the RP250 that way.. :roll: :lol: I should have deleted this post here before I started the new one in the other forum but I havent been on in a while and didnt know if anyone would respond here?..Enjoyin your videos! After a day like today, I need some good live 70's, does a soul GOOD! Oh, BTW, you wont find me up on a that high D note very often so 21 frets is fine for me... :lol: . No stores around WV even carry these newer strats but at least if I buy online, Ill know its a 12"radius like this Peavey.
If I were to get one today , Im really leanin toward the Deluxe Player with the pull out knob for the bridge pup..

KIDD

#209216 by J-HALEY
Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 pm
The KIDD wrote:Hey man , thanks for the reply. Yeah, I wondered about the HSS as a choice when I was lookin at the MIMs at Sweetwater..(MIA outta the question for now)..Trouble is, (being a guy who plays gtr, and not a gtr player) 90% of my playin is on the bridge pickup.. :lol: ..Like an idiot, I set up all my sounds and EQ on the RP250 that way.. :roll: :lol: I should have deleted this post here before I started the new one in the other forum but I havent been on in a while and didnt know if anyone would respond here?..Enjoyin your videos! After a day like today, I need some good live 70's, does a soul GOOD! Oh, BTW, you wont find me up on a that high D note very often so 21 frets is fine for me... :lol: . No stores around WV even carry these newer strats but at least if I buy online, Ill know its a 12"radius like this Peavey.
If I were to get one today , Im really leanin toward the Deluxe Player with the pull out knob for the bridge pup..

KIDD

Great choice and good luck brother! I haven't seen you on this forum in a while you were here when I was a newby. Thanks for the props on the vids!

#209276 by The KIDD
Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:14 am
Yeah man , really enjoyin those live videos. Alot out there are muddy and the mixes are poorly defined but these sound great , make ya feel like your there. 8) ..Been watchin DP videos alot this evening and this cat at NSTUFF music makes me wanna get out my checkbook right now... :lol: MAN! why couldnt Bill Gates have came along in 61 insteada 81. Id be goin through this guitar stuff in 93 insteada 2013.. :lol:. Yeah, good to see ya still on here! A buncha Kids had kinda takin over the forum back when I left in 09 and found I didnt have much in common, so I split. Gonna try to ingraishiate myself back into gen pop. I emailed for a price quote from NSTUFF. I think they "may" have a better deal than SW or MF etc?...After seeing your pedals, IKNOW Ill wanna CAN this crappy RP250 IF, I get a new gtr... :lol: ..We'll see what happens here in a few days.... :?: :?: :?:
KIDD

#209809 by Paleopete
Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm
Can't say much about either of those, I haven't played a new strat in ages.

As far as 30 year old used goes, check it over close and chances are it still might be in good shape. Did you see any of my oldies when I was up there? I've gotten some great deals used, some minor work on them here and there but usually if you check them over good you can weed out the one not good for much more than hockey sticks.

Pawn shops are usually worth checking out too, I've seen quite a few nice guitars and bought a few, my favorite Squier Strat is a pawn shop find. SO don't be afraid of used, just check it out close. A couple of people have offered me twice what I paid for the Cort...

I don't like to order online, I can't play it first. My left wrist gives me so much trouble that's a bad idea, and I like to hear it unplugged first too. I won't even plug it in if I don't like the unplugged sound or playability. If it doesn't sound good unplugged, chances are it won't get much better through an amp.

I wondered why you disappeared way back, good to see you around again. I'm not on much, I have to drive 20 miles into town to get online, but I check in now and then, get a laugh at all the mud slinging in the political threads, maybe stir it a bit and cruise home.Just moved back to Texas, getting settled in, no music going on yet but keeping an eye open. Loads of work clearing brush and so forth, just started pulling out the Cort hollow body and practicing a little to get my fingers back in shape.

Oh yeah speaking of videos, you haven't been around since I posted this a while back so here's one I did with some friends a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKnqSKQCIs4

We did another since then but Shane wants to redo the vocals, it's not posted yet, and we're planning to get together some more but nothing recently. I think I also have some stuff on my player you hadn't heard when you disappeared.

Later...

#209975 by The KIDD
Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:47 pm
Hey Bill! Good to see your still here as well. Im glad I looked back at this thread. I thought J and I were the only one's here so Ive been responding to the OTHER one i started..LOL..Yeah, youve come along way from recordin on cassette back in 08.I had so many viruses back then, a cassette 4 tracker was about all I had going a well..LOL .Tunes up on your page sound good man and the video was not bad. Just 2-3 places where baritone was alittle "iffy" :P . Good job by all!. Yeah, I guess Im the only drummer in the whole wide world who HAS to HAVE the 12"R... :shock: :lol: Im not gonna say anything until the gtr is actually HERE and I kept it a lil while but I think Ive found a "USA" Predator SSS. (HARD to FIND ). Most strat copys after 90 or so are made in Vietnam Im told . Anyway, yeah, post that new copy of SC in this thread if ya want and Ill check it out! Ive busted my ASS on lead gtr the last few months and Im startin to get more confident playin LIVE. HARD to control the FX processor and play/sing at the same time..LOL.Here's some video clips of my last show.Im playin the Predator I was borrowing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDZfPsFRj7I

Thanks for your input! Catch up with ya soon.

KIDD

#210662 by With Strange Aeons
Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:28 pm
I've got an American Special S-S-S and even though I play hard rock and metal, it usually gets me where I need to go. For my two cents, you actually may NOT want the humbucker since that restricts your sound pallette (I own plenty of guitars with humbuckers, so I wanted a "pure" Strat; I've written a few originals where I actually need the sound I get from the bridge single-coil and from the blend with that & the middle pickup). For the same reason (i.e. to get a "pure" Strat sound) I went with the American Special despite the non-noise cancelling Texas Specials, since to me the Texas Specials are very loud and in-your-face in a way that the hum-canceling pickups can't match. The hardware and build quality of the American models is way better than the Mexican ones, though the Mexican strats are OK.

#210670 by Starfish Scott
Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm
I avoid all humbuckers in a strat.

S-S-S is the way to go.

If you want a humbucker, get a Les Paul or anything besides a strat.

#210698 by The KIDD
Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:13 pm
Thanks for chimin in Skraeling1234! Good info to know. Well Gang, my new (USED) :lol: USA 12" R Predator is HERE. I wanted to play it for a day before responding. This neck sets a bit higher on the body and the saddles are pretty high but I think I like that. Only problem is , the pups are up all the way and are a bit lower in height compared to the old gtr. Not gettin quite the punch even though I cranked the vol pedal up a few DBs. Neck feels GRRRREAT!..Like Scott, thats EVERYTHING to me .Yeah, I had a eppie LP copy for a while for the Bad Co, Steppenwolf, GFR,etc stuff but still like more sizzly overdrive I get from SC pups so I sold it. Ok, back to my new toy..She's missin me already.... :lol:

KIDD

#212637 by schoolofrach
Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 am
As others have said, you can't go wrong with an American made Strat. The comment about 21 vs 22 frets is silly. Especially if you never venture that fa up the neck anyway. There are other more critical things that differentiate the American vs Mexican or Asian made guitars. Like quality of tone wood, pickups, tuners, etc. BUT if you're poor there is NOTHING wrong with the Squiers and non US built instruments. Lets be serious, if you're asking these questions you're no Jimi, Stevie Ray or Clapton or whomever. And even those players played guitars that were not perfect. The important thing is that it feels good to you. Don't buy anything online, I suggest you go into a couple guitar stores close your eyes and just play a bunch of instruments until you find the one that feels like yours and take her home. And then make sweet love to her. All night long. The HSS suggestion was a good one. It is nice to have a humbucker. I'm the original owner of an American made Strat that is now 25 years old and in showroom condition. And I love it I'll keep that guitar forever. But I also have a $50 bunch of pawnshop parts that I pieced together that is my new favorite. So bottom line if it feels right, then that's the right one for you. Good luck!!

#213787 by The KIDD
Thu May 02, 2013 3:49 am
Hey Gang,

Thought Id chime back in after playin this SSS Pedator for a lil while. This is a very odd sitchyaition.. :lol: This gtr has a homemade NUT which was installed alil crooked. Didnt notice it that much when it had .009s' on but damn, I put 010s on and I had to move the saddles fwd as far as they'd go to intonate. The nut wont allow the B and E (the crooked end too far back) to zero out on 440 so it looks like in order to play .10s , Im gonna have to get a new nut made. Im still happy with it.. It actually intonates better than the old one (chord wise )up to the 9th fret or so. Neck is just a tiny bit wider but Im gettin used to it. The pups are a bit fatter sounding makin me have to change all my settings on the RP250 but I do this all the time anyway :lol:

NOW, Im ready to get a new TOY...... Need a Crown 311A now so I can quit HEAD BUTTIN this 58......
:lol:

#213818 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 02, 2013 4:36 pm
Go bone or brass, you'll thank me later..

#214734 by The KIDD
Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 pm
Will do Scott!..Theres a guy about 3 blocks away that can make me one but hell, it'll take him 6 months.. :lol:..He's an old guy so I know he'll suggest bone.

#215075 by Paleopete
Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 pm
I'd go with bone too.. I've had a couple of the carbon fiber ones, they do ok, and several plastic POS jobs...stick with bone. Brass works well too, but it will make the sound brighter. Most strats are bright enough already. Brass should also help with sustain, if it didn't make it brighter too it might be my favorite...than again strats usually don't need much help in the suatain department either...

But do make sure you get one made by someone who knows what he's doing. Cut the slots too high and you pull it out of tune when you fret, especially open chords, too low and it tends to have fret buzz because the strings don't have room to vibrate. It also must have a slight angle to the slots so they have a contact surface right at the end of the neck, not at the back of the nut, which leads to intonation problems.

That may be why the one you have is giving you trouble. .010 gauge strings need slightly wider nut slots. If they don't fit well, the slots in this case would be too tight, and could be binding at the back instead of having a contact point at the end of the neck. Ideally, the strings should not bind in the nut slots, (that's what causes whammy bar intonation problems) but should also not have a lot of free play to vibrate side to side either, and angle downwards from the neck joint so they sit right on the end of the neck without binding anywhere. If you don't know what you're doing, you can make a new nut that's worse than the old one...

It might be possible to do a temporary fix on the one you have, but only if you can get some nut files and touch up the existing slots. I have no doubt they're too tight, going to larger gauge strings, it should be a matter of a quick touch up to make the existing nut usable until it can be replaced.

Why the hell don't they make all guitars with a zero fret like my old Epiphone acoustic had???