This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#162249 by jimmydanger
Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:40 pm
Beck is boring? I've seen him many times and he is amazing live. I would guess that if you think he's boring, you're boring.

Hendrix tried to do the big show thing, playing with his teeth and behind his back, but it backfired on him and people then expected the theatrics at every show. Meanwhile, Jimi grew tired of being a circus chimp and wanted to focus on his music. Ever see Band of Gypsys (the film)? He just stood there and played, no show at all. But it was too late, and he died an unhappy man because of it.

#162263 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 pm
jimmydanger wrote:Beck is boring? I've seen him many times and he is amazing live. I would guess that if you think he's boring, you're boring.

Hendrix tried to do the big show thing, playing with his teeth and behind his back, but it backfired on him and people then expected the theatrics at every show. Meanwhile, Jimi grew tired of being a circus chimp and wanted to focus on his music. Ever see Band of Gypsys (the film)? He just stood there and played, no show at all. But it was too late, and he died an unhappy man because of it.

I saw the British Invasion Tour in 1983 with Clapton, Beck, and Page. At the time, I had been a Zep fan and a Beck fan for many years. Clapton, not so much...I like him in Cream and in Derek and the Dominoes but that's about it. I expected Jeff Beck to mop the floors on both Page and Clapton.

Clapton opened and was more entertaining than I had seen him before. Beck came out and stood like bump on a log for an hour. His playing was flawless, but in an arena setting it put everyone to sleep after Clapton had pretty much been motionless also. He even looked a bit scared on the arena stage.

Page came out and shook his hip and pandemonium ensued. He was definitely sloppier than the other 2, but a whole lot more fun and exciting for the audience.

It seems like there should be more to guitar playing than how fast you can move your fingers, but I do love Beck's fusion CDs. BLow by Blow is one of my all-time favorites. Didn't every guitarist try to learn "Because We've Ended As Lovers"?

So I'm not disparaging his talent...just saying his live show was disappointing when compared to Clapton (who bores me even more) and Page.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#162320 by vincentnmartin
Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Andrés Segovia

#203954 by jack512379
Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm
8) jeff beck danny gatton

#204261 by Outlawsfan
Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 am
one of the very best was hughie thomasson of the Outlaws... they called him "the flame" man could he light that axe ablaze

#204708 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 pm
When I saw Alvin Lee play in 72, I was amazed by his speed.
When I saw Mick Ronson play in 72 (with Bowie) it was spacey.
When I saw David Gilmour play in 73 it was spacier.
When I saw Jimmy Page play in 73, I couldn't play for a week after.
When I saw Joe Walsh play in 76 and 77 (with the Eagles) it was fun.
When I saw Frank Zappa play in 78 it was more fun.
When I saw Steve Howe play in 2002 and 2005(? with Yes) it was incredible.
When I saw Eric Johnson play in 2010 it was fast but forgettable.
When I saw Carlos Santana play in 2010, it was magic music.

Point is - lots of great guitarists out there, with different styles, and playing different types of music. There's something for everyone.
#206082 by frank517506
Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:15 am
bryteh20 wrote:There is no correct answer to this question, but what id like to know is-- Who do you think is the greatest guitarist of all time???
johnny winter blues, toni iommi rock. :twisted: :)

#206749 by Numbless
Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am
To me I'd say that a great guitarist is someone who is inspiring, which leaves the "greatest guitarist" a personal opinion. Personally I love DJ Ashba of Sixx AM. I love his style, tone and passion: a true artist.
Of course there are a lot of other guitarists out there who are inspiring but these guitarists are other peoples opinion of a great guitarist. Now if you want to go with over all greatest guitarist of all time then you might as well go with John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Yngwie, Satriani, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Kerry King, ect. ect. All these guitarists that you always see on magazine covers and such, theres a reason they're their. They obviously inspire many people!
Music is a type of art and in order to be a good artist you need to be able to inspire people to become inspiring artists themselves.

#209230 by Gary Somerville
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm
Best guitarist is George Benson -

#209231 by Gary Somerville
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 pm
Skunk up the Funk wrote:Best guitarist is George Benson -

Also if anybody is hip to Brett Mason.. He's a different caliber althogether as well.

#209235 by Gary Somerville
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 pm
philbymon wrote:
Rocky2000 wrote:Jimmy Page, The greatest rock guitarist of all time!!!!!!

I still say he had to be one of the sloppiest, cuz he couldn't seem to remember a single signature lick he ever wrote.

He remembered he just couldn't play them.. Everything memorable he did was done in studio. He was a genious there but it wasn't a Haiku thing. He could erase and overdub, layer, etc in studio. Personally I think he was positively genious in the studio. But probably not a great guitarist or at least didn't continue to be through the years. I loved zepplin just didn't think much of them live except for a few rare performances.

#214391 by JMZCustomGuitars
Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm
Steve Vai hands down.

Nobody can play the instrument called the electric guitar better than him.

Doesn't matter what genre, doesnt matter what category you want to measure (ie technical, song writing, feel, etc....)

cheers!

John
www.jmzcustomguitars.com