This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#20766 by HowlinJ
Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:12 am
PhrAil,
Thanks for bumping this thread. I checked out "Tesseract" and am impressed with the energy and technical proficiency of this type of band. I'll make it a point to check this music out in the future. I may download some to cassette so I can listen in the truck on the way to work. My wife has indicated her "distaste" for all forms of "Metal" so I can't listen at the proper volume at this time ( I took her to a "Plasmatics" concert years ago, an she did seem to enjoy that!). I like all forms of creative music. It's always good to hear new stuff. Thanks again
John

#22084 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 pm
John: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, the TesseracT material is some of my favorite material ever. I can't wait for them to finally complete their CD. Hopefully that will happen this year, for sure. Once again, I'm glad you found this thread beneficial!

Gorgrotesque wrote:I never got around to checking out more polymetric bands. Decent bands you listed there. And, I will say I actually like Mudvayne (Despite my love for death metal) and I was listening to them earlier today.

However, why the f**k do most polymetric bands play with 8 string guitars and/or low ass tunings man?

Well, the only polymetric guys that play with the 8 string guitars that I have heard so far are Ion Dissonance, Bulb (from Periphery) and Meshuggah. Dino Cazares (ex-Fear Factory, now in Divine Heresy of whom I DO recommend you check out!) uses one but he's not really a polymetric sort of riffer. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Using the low strings just adds to the feel and the dynamics of the music. When you first start listening to the stuff, it's like, "wtf, that's extremely low... why do that?" It takes a bit of getting used to and it definitely comes off as unnecessary if you're not used to it but play that sh*t on a GOOD stereo system and that type of music will move you, man. Granted, you've got to be a metalhead and into the feel of polymetric music to truly enjoy it. Sometimes, you have to study the tunes and figure out what to bang your head to and when but if you hear the stuff and it just sounds like randomly placed notes instead of intricate patterns, you'll never enjoy it.

Do you tune down at all? If you never have, you should try it sometime. In the event that you have, then you have the basis for working with something to understand the 8 string guitars. Why do you tune down? You want to sound heavier? Do you just like it more? It's enjoyable to you! You may want to find some new lows to reach, etc. It's no different for these guys but their ear is fine-tuned to hear that low F# (or even low F if you're Meshuggah!).

So anyway, hopefully that'll make a little more sense to you. Give it some time if it's just absolutely overbearing to you. If the polymetric stuff moves you, go try the same type of riffs on a standard guitar and they just lose every dynamic that makes them heavy.

-Stephen

#22087 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:59 am
Yeah, these bands use very low tunings. I mean I thought Drop B was low at one time, till I started seeing things in Drop A. I was watching Divine Heresy do a jam session on Youtube (I have seen two now actually), Dino is so f**king fast when he solos it can be annoying, lmao. I mean I can reach his speed, but I think my accuracy would go out the window.

I am not into these extremely heavy metal bands, or polymetric bands as you call them. I cannot seem to get a true feel for any of them, I am listening to them, but still. I like Fear Factory though, they have some good stuff.

I will admit though there is a strong complexity in their guitar playing, they are very fast and accurate. I can barely play those low tunings though because my strings will not be able to handle it, I use .009 - .042.

I have to try and get more into the metal seen and check out these bands, lol. I have not done enough research into metal bands other than Megadeth and Metallica, it is kind of cramping my style now.

Something I would like is a 7 string guitar someday, 8 is too much... Maybe an Ibanez 7 string with some EMG's. It would be good for John Petrucci stuff and Korn stuff.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#22236 by Gorgrotesque
Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:41 pm
PhrAiLGuitarist wrote:
Well, the only polymetric guys that play with the 8 string guitars that I have heard so far are Ion Dissonance, Bulb (from Periphery) and Meshuggah. Dino Cazares (ex-Fear Factory, now in Divine Heresy of whom I DO recommend you check out!) uses one but he's not really a polymetric sort of riffer. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Dino isn't polymetric, but he does have some complex rhythm.

Using the low strings just adds to the feel and the dynamics of the music. When you first start listening to the stuff, it's like, "wtf, that's extremely low... why do that?" It takes a bit of getting used to and it definitely comes off as unnecessary if you're not used to it but play that sh*t on a GOOD stereo system and that type of music will move you, man. Granted, you've got to be a metalhead and into the feel of polymetric music to truly enjoy it. Sometimes, you have to study the tunes and figure out what to bang your head to and when but if you hear the stuff and it just sounds like randomly placed notes instead of intricate patterns, you'll never enjoy it.

I listen to it because when I'm stoned, I can picture the music.

Do you tune down at all? If you never have, you should try it sometime. In the event that you have, then you have the basis for working with something to understand the 8 string guitars. Why do you tune down? You want to sound heavier? Do you just like it more? It's enjoyable to you! You may want to find some new lows to reach, etc. It's no different for these guys but their ear is fine-tuned to hear that low F# (or even low F if you're Meshuggah!).

Yeah, I've been playing for like 6 years man lol. I usually play in C standard, sometimes Drop B. I've messed around with Drop G, A Standard, and drop A. I hate E standard, unless if it's on my acoustic.

Btw, here's a weird tuning. C standard, then drop the top string 3 half-steps down, making it a Bb. That one's fun.

So anyway, hopefully that'll make a little more sense to you. Give it some time if it's just absolutely overbearing to you. If the polymetric stuff moves you, go try the same type of riffs on a standard guitar and they just lose every dynamic that makes them heavy.

-Stephen

Yeah, m'man. Yeah.

#22238 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 pm
Drop B is my favorite, it is a deep strong tone. I write in it all of the time, I would like to try out Drop A though, and other deeper tunings (After I get thicker gauge strings).

I have songs though that are in C# (C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#), and when I want it darker I just drop the top string to B to get my Drop B tuning. It depends on what music I am paying. When I play A Perfect Circle I use both, depending on the song.

I am not fond of the heaviness of some of these bands though, these polymetric bands (As I have said). It is too heavy and the singing annoys me. I guess it is all about taste though. I do appreciate the complexity though and would be willing to learn some of those songs if I could go into the tunings, just for the Hell of it.

It is fun to play a whole step down from standard as well, I play "Sad But True," that way - I have yet to memorize that one properly.

Deeper tunings are better to play in, the darker sound is what I like.
I guess that is why I like "Lacuna Coil," not to mention Scabbia has a great voice.

#22665 by HowlinJ
Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 am
I'm still trying to get a handle on polymetric metal. It seems that a lot of us could come to embrace this form if it wasn't for the distracting screaming. I took a little time to read the wikipedia article on poly meter rhythm. some interesting examples offered, apart from the metal genre, are Bernstein's "America" from "West Side Story" and Led Zep's "Black Dog". It seems that some of us have been living with polymetric rhythm for a long time with out even realizing it. One thing is certain. If one takes the time to listen to the P.M.metal bands with an open mind, it becomes obvious that its an advanced form of music. I have come come to appreciate many types of music, from the "Velvet Underground" back in the 60's, to the works of "Vaughn Williams" presently. Ya never know what you might come to like, if you give it a chance.

#22671 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:24 am
Polymetric Metal is a very complex form, and I agree, take out the screaming singers and you have something to work with.

The guitar playing is very complex and sometimes very fast.

I look at polymetric's complexity like I look at shredders. It is all very hard, I never once have said what Yngwie Malmsteen does it easy, it is not, it is extremely hard, I just do not like the sound. So yes, these are advanced art forms of the guitar, but still, the number one, is pure classical music. I looked at a piece today from Bach and almost dropped dead, lol. All of the structures are unusual and the timing is strange, so it is very confusing.

#50331 by dimaura
Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:13 pm
I suppose poly-metric music could almost be its own genre. most credit i would say goes to either meshuggah or king crimson. its very hard to tell because the do it in such different ways.

by the way i love the list of bands, i got to meet Misha (bulb) from periphery a couple months ago.

PLEASE check out my band.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimaura is currently seeking;

2nd Guitar, Vocals, possibly a new Bassist

We are a Proggressive Metal band with a very large span of influence.
Opeth, Between the Buried & Me, Sikth, Meshuggah, Jazz, Folk, Blues, Death, Classical Guitar, and so on.

People with no equipment, knowledge of their craft, or the will to learn... need not apply.

Please contact us at [email protected]
myspace.com/dimaura
330.760.1481 - Nick

#58732 by HowlinJ
Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 am
Thought its time to bump this thread for the benefit of the newbies.

Some cool and very heavy rhythm going down with these kinda bands.
Worth checkin' out.

later,
Howlin'
#59202 by Powergroove75
Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 pm
PhrAiLGuitarist wrote:Being into polymetric madness, I thought I'd start a thread about polymetric metal. If you're into Meshuggah and wish you could find more bands like them, you NEED to check these bands out. You won't be disappointed:

Tesseract: www.myspace.com/tesseract
Fell Silent: www.myspace.com/fellsilent
Textures: www.myspace.com/textures
Coprofago: www.myspace.com/coprofago
Kit Lamb: www.myspace.com/kitlamb
Periphery: www.myspace.com/periphery
Misha "Bulb" Mansoor www.myspace.com/iambulb
Tandjent: www.myspace.com/tandjent
Sikth: www.myspace.com/sikth
Neurothing: www.myspace.com/neurothing

There are plenty of others but these are the bands that really stand out to me. Some other notables that come to mind who sometimes touch on polyrhythms are Gojira, Byzantine, and Cynic.

-Stephen

Very cool to see someone mention Textures. I've been into them since "Polars" and was stoked to see their most recent release available in the U.S.

Great bunch of guys... I've been talking to their guitarist Bart and he was saying they are hoping to tour the states soon.

#62876 by METALurgist
Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm
Felt I needed to mention that those are nice bands in first post I am glad someone knows about them finally. Most people I talk to, listen to mainstream or whatever is on the radio. Shadow of the day by LP uhhhhhh.

#75393 by bundydude
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm
Watchtower - Control and Resistance...and I will say! no more.