This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18745 by HowlinJ
Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:39 pm
G.A.,

FRIG THINNECKS!

I'm tellin ya, (it came to me in a dream I had last night.)..........

went something like this.............. (The voice of "JIMI"),

...."The "New Chosen One" to unite the "Great tribe of Minstrals" will be "pure of heart","rich in wit","poor in cash","come from Florida"'and will be "VERY INEXPERIANCED"!"

the "Voice" went on to say,

...."He must listen to "Scrapper Blackwell", "Robert Johnson","Elmore James","Ma Rainey","Skip James","LeadBelly,(in otherwords "Deep Blues").......

last ,the "Voice"commanded,

...."Most importanty he must procure a brand spanken new THICKNECKED " G.E.Smith Fender Telecaster",learn to play it well,get out from behind that "damn ol' computer, find some "real people" and "GET HIS ASS OUT AND JAM"!

#18751 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:08 pm
HowlinJ wrote:G.A.,

FRIG THINNECKS!

I'm tellin ya, (it came to me in a dream I had last night.)..........

went something like this.............. (The voice of "JIMI"),

...."The "New Chosen One" to unite the "Great tribe of Minstrals" will be "pure of heart","rich in wit","poor in cash","come from Florida"'and will be "VERY INEXPERIANCED"!"

the "Voice" went on to say,

...."He must listen to "Scrapper Blackwell", "Robert Johnson","Elmore James","Ma Rainey","Skip James","LeadBelly,(in otherwords "Deep Blues").......

last ,the "Voice"commanded,

...."Most importanty he must procure a brand spanken new THICKNECKED " G.E.Smith Fender Telecaster",learn to play it well,get out from behind that "damn ol' computer, find some "real people" and "GET HIS ASS OUT AND JAM"!

Lmao! Okay, so I am the chosen one for guitar? I did not know there was a guitar messiah. Lol.

I will go take a look at that guitar now, but I cannot get out from behind this computer or I will be out of a job! :lol:

I never knew you were psychic HowlinJ.

EDIT: Must it be that Telecaster which is more expensive than my computer? Lol. It cannot be any nice Telecaster? By the way, I have listened to most of those people you listed, fascinating sound.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#20486 by iralarry
Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:22 am
Best Technician - Steve Vai.

Best technician? Guess you never heard of Al DiMeola from Return to Forever fame-Chick Corea? A MUST HAVE. Romantic Warrior Early 70's fusion jazz-best ever

#20531 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:23 pm
The ability for a person to choose who they think is the greatest guitarist in ANY genre is merely exposing their lack of exposure to the breadth and true pinnacle of guitarists within said genre. Then again, "the greatest" is merely speculative at best and would be more appropriately deemed, "your favorite". I could argue all day long that Shawn Lane was greater than Kirk Hammett in every single technique that Kirk Hammett leverages but someone like the user GuitarAnatomy would have any number of reasons to completely and satisfyingly disagree with me and maintain that Kirk Hammett is still the ultimate guitarist in his eyes. That's great but if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times; these discussions are good for nothing but making people get defensive about the musicians they love. Unfortunately, it's to a fault that such a low percentage of participants in such a thread would actually make good use of looking into the musicians other people name off which they may not have heard of to broaden their musical horizons. Meh. To each his own, I suppose. =)

-Stephen

PS - The greatest of all time is Larry Conklin, of course! :lol: (Look up "Larry Conklin Hot Licks" on YouTube and prepare to laugh hysterically)

#20532 by jw123
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:59 pm
Being from Memphis, I might say Shawn Lane!

I saw him as a teenager with Black Oak Arkansas, his old cover band The Willys played around the corner from one of my old apartments.

Shawn was awesome, he could totally tackle any style of music he attempted. He could shred with anyone. Once again he was awesome.

JW

#20533 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:31 pm
jw123 wrote:Being from Memphis, I might say Shawn Lane!

I saw him as a teenager with Black Oak Arkansas, his old cover band The Willys played around the corner from one of my old apartments.

Shawn was awesome, he could totally tackle any style of music he attempted. He could shred with anyone. Once again he was awesome.

JW

Holy sh*t, no way! You got to see him with Black Oak Arkansas... wow, man. There's some videos of those days on YouTube, I believe. I was amazed to see the things he was doing even back then with his stretches, phrasing, etc. Truly a pioneer and a genius musician. It's nice to run into someone else on this board who really knows about him. It's too bad he died when he did. Like Becker, he had so much to offer and if for nothing else, to simply inspire people to chase the pinnacle of musicianship.

-Stephen

#20549 by jw123
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:48 pm
I didnt ever get to know Shawn cause he was weird. But I saw him a few times with BOA, they would just turn the show over to him and he would solo for 5-10 minutes. Even then he had that legato thing down. He was probably 15-16 at the time.

His cover group the Willys played at a club around the corner from my apartment on thursday nights for a yr or so. I used to go over after work and have a beer. They played standard bar stuff and some top 40 stuff. Of course he put his stamp on everything. The guy that played bass looked and sounded just like Rod Stewart. Hed say I wish Shawn would quit overplaying everything.

I was out of music when he did his album Powers Of 10. I never saw him perform his material. Lost track of him and the next thing I knew he was dead. I think he could hold his own with any of the neo shredders of the 80s. Its sad that he didnt release more material.

#22485 by Felicity Chicane
Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:33 am
david gilmour

#22686 by Chris2203
Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 pm
For me: Tony Iommi is GOD.....and my Jesus: David Gilmour.

#24465 by philbymon
Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 pm
jam band -> Trey Anastasio

blues -> Jimi Hendrix, SRV

pop -> George Harrison, David Gilmour, SRV (when he played for David Bowie)

speed stuff ->those guys from "Racer X", Al Di Meola, Malmsteen, Morse

thank heavens no one said "Jerry Garcia!"

#24467 by gbheil
Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:50 pm
This is gonna sound real stupid comming from a rocker and old time Hendrix fan, but I was always awstruck to watch Roy Clark play.

#24503 by philbymon
Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 pm
Roy Clark! Now THERE's a name I haven't heard in years! He WAS an amazing guitarist! Glen Cambell's pretty good, too.

#24545 by HowlinJ
Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 am
Howsabout "George Van Eps " ... (best 7 string player) :wink:

#26721 by gtZip
Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:22 am
liquid_embrace wrote:Yngwie.

What a subject matter....

Yngwie was definitely an original when he came out, although it could be argued that Randy Rhodes was experimenting with combining metal and classical music even earlier, but for obvious reasons did not get to develop it.

I still remember my friend coming running up to me with a copy of "Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force" and yelling "You've gotta hear this guy RIGHT NOW!". Definitely was something I had never heard before.

Yngwie is definitely fast, but it can be argued that Michael Angelo Batio was/is even faster, if we are talking about pure speed. One could even argue for Paul Gilbert back when he was using a power drill with picks attached to the drill bit for his picking.

What I would credit Yngwie for the most is being absolutely true to his love. There are many blues guitarists who play nothing but blues. Same for country virtuosos, metalheads and classical guitarists who chose to never play anything but their chosen style. Lots to choose from in each category.

But how many have chosen the purely neo-classical, post-viking metal genre and remained absolutely and unswervingly dedicated to it, no matter what anyone else in the world was doing?

The list is short and sweet with Yngwie heads and shoulder above the rest, in my opinion.

Chris Impellitteri is the fastest ever. It's not even humanly possible to play faster, or to have any note definition for that matter if it got any faster.
I much prefer Yngwie though. Great precision and clarity. And, wait for it... *gasp* 'feel'.

Greatest of all time is impossible to answer, really.
Might be that damned Steve Morse.

#27079 by Buzzwagon
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:03 pm
Difficult question as most have already pointed out. How about Albert Lee? A truly unique style! He made Clapton sound good for years.

Jerry