This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#204038 by ababaebeb
Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 pm
At least I care enough to post a relevant topic rather than just sit back and comment on everyone elses.
Many musicians famous, successful and otherwise play, sing and perform for their own ego gratification if you don't already know this then you are not a real musician and have not been exposed to the reality of playing music, sorry to say but very true.

The fact is there are too many on the fencers and "oh if I only had the time" and "oh I don't want to fail if I try" a person can find any excuse and all of them if they don't want to really play for real.
The point is that popular media and the over commercialization of our music industry is responsible in part for crushing out the little musicians and making it harder for us to play and perform having less and less venues available to us. There are other reasons like the ever evolving plastic sureal society and their twisted TV and media inspired values and morals/standards that shape and influence their opinions like what I should like and what is really good when it really isn't but they are telling you it is and YOU believe them. I think a part of the trend is to do more with the fact more and more people have their heads up their arses or more to the point their heads stuck in their blackberrys and phones and are too self absorbed to pull their headsout of their arses and appreciate a live band.
I am a hard working guitar player and musician and I have made a market for myself here in Kamloops. I am sought out to play because I am professional and an accomplished player, as well as being available as I am a full time musician, that is my occupation. I can't help see the deficiencies and lack of venues and opprtunities in my city and Vancouver, and in turn can't help feel that i could be playing more if there were more venues and opportunites available. There chew on that.

#204048 by PaperDog
Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 pm
If yer accomplished, and you are not seeing real support in your city, then you should do everything in your power to innovate an opportunity for musicians and venues to come together. This beats the crap out of complaining and accusing others of having their heads up their arses...

Walk the walk to the last bitter mile,
or sit and and sulk, all the long while...

#204142 by jw123
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm
Theres two sides to this.

As musicians we have the opportunity to have our music heard by more people than every before in history. Its mainly trying to figure out business wise how to capitallize on this. I dont have any answers, but all of us have the means to show our music to the world if we go about it in the right way.

I think of growing up in the 70s and listening to music, I had FM stations and whatever the labels thought i should listen too, where as these days I can look up some guy on the other side of the world and listen to what he has to offer.

#204146 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:28 pm
Good words from Grant: innovate an opportunity - you've got to do what you can, not just sit around waiting for the phone to ring.
Host an open mic at a venue that has an unbooked night - when you have an open night. You provide the PA, the publicity to get people there, you take the cash from the place. Is it big money - no. Is it better than sitting at home whining? You decide!

#204159 by Mike Nobody
Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Good words from Grant: innovate an opportunity - you've got to do what you can, not just sit around waiting for the phone to ring.
Host an open mic at a venue that has an unbooked night - when you have an open night. You provide the PA, the publicity to get people there, you take the cash from the place. Is it big money - no. Is it better than sitting at home whining? You decide!

If you check out our videos, you'll see that we played on sidewalks & parking lots.

People will let you play just about anywhere.

#204173 by gtZip
Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:34 pm
Your playing is like your typing - long run on sentences.
Learn to breath once in awhile and know when to shut up.

Phrasing.
#204174 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm
Axiom7 wrote: I am sought out to play because I am professional and an accomplished player, as well as being available as I am a full time musician, that is my occupation.

big whoop. that's what i do for a living as well. music. playing in several bands, solo gtr gigs, lessons, occasional studio work here and there. like i said....big whoop.

at a gig this weekend the bartender asked me i play music for a living. i gave her my usual reply..."well, it depends on how you define 'making a living' ".

I can't help see the deficiencies and lack of venues and opprtunities in my city and Vancouver, and in turn can't help feel that i could be playing more if there were more venues and opportunites available. There chew on that.

chew on what? if there were more venues supporting live music and more opportunities then EVERYONE would benefit. we'd ALL be playing more.

seems like you got off on the wrong foot here. maybe you should step back and try another approach. or not.

there are plenty of good folks frequenting this site who besides being talented musicians, are pretty wise, often very funny, and for the most part fairly tolerant of others.... if they don't come off too dickish and as having too much attitude.

#204187 by Kramerguy
Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm
I don't get it-

Are you pissed off that playing live isn't the de-facto method of "making it" anymore (hasn't been for 10+ years), or are you pissed off that nobody seems to be complaining about it?

#204189 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 pm
Kramerguy wrote:I don't get it-

Are you pissed off that playing live isn't the de-facto method of "making it" anymore (hasn't been for 10+ years), or are you pissed off that nobody seems to be complaining about it?

i'm not gonna complain about getting to play music for my "living"...you know why? cos i've had jobs that weren't as much fun and actually were "work".

honestly, it's just the same now as always. anyone becoming a musician to become wealthy or famous is seriously confused.

do i wish there were more ops to play good paying gigs....of course.

do i wish more people appreciated live music and the work that most musicians have put into their craft/art.....of course.

but ya know....it does beat the hell outta flippin' burgers. it is what is and you need to find the good stuff to get you thru the not so good.