This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#184404 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:So you just play what you feel and express that in life there will be death but you can get around it ?

That sounds pretty damn close..maybe not so positive. lol

#184429 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm
Fun Fun

#184549 by MikeTalbot
Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 am
Tyler

Leave out the option of getting "frustrated and dropping it." You must win. you can. Never consider defeat as an option. you'll get enough of that in life without planning for it.

best
Talbot

#184556 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:35 am
Fair enough

#184573 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 pm
Can an 18-year-old in modern America really play the blues? Not sure, unless if you have led a very tough early life.
Unless you experience the true heartache, soul-crushing, 'I've been down so long it feels like up to me' lifestyle, you're just playing the notes.
Listen to BB King and you KNOW he has been there - it's not the notes, its the feeling in the notes.

#184640 by PaperDog
Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 pm
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:So play with the song until I get the timing, (which I am) and then play over it (Still working on the first part)

Yep :D

#184755 by Paleopete
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:50 pm
I forget who said it...BB King? Muddy Waters? not sure...

You don't just learn to play the blues, you have to live it.

That's where great blues comes from. Somewhere down inside that's been hurt, stomped, kicked around, heartbroken and hung out to dry and it comes back singing...

I know who said this one, BB King - Put everything you have into every note.

It's almost impossible to describe...blues is what you feel. It's not the chord progressions, the music theory, the scales and arpeggios...you can't dissect it. You can't give it a scientific definition, and you can't write it down like a Mozart piece. It's that feeling somewhere inside when your wife, your dog and your girlfriend all left you and your boss said hit the road, the car broke down, your paycheck bounced...your reality check bounced...then the blues just comes out.

#184842 by MikeTalbot
Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:54 am
GuitarMike

Haven't you seen crossroads? My own brother started playing at 18 and it just seemed like he could always play bad ass lead - right from the start.

took me a while...

Talbot

#184884 by PaperDog
Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:48 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Can an 18-year-old in modern America really play the blues? Not sure, unless if you have led a very tough early life.
Unless you experience the true heartache, soul-crushing, 'I've been down so long it feels like up to me' lifestyle, you're just playing the notes.
Listen to BB King and you KNOW he has been there - it's not the notes, its the feeling in the notes.

The short answer...No, But I can say first hand I know a 19 year old, african american in my neighborhood who could rival most BM players here... and yet I can tell he's not experienced that hard edge which forges the blues...

#185034 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 am
Oh i'm sure people can play the blues and experience that

#196466 by Staticlines11
Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 am
Inject your own style into the blues.

#203346 by jack512379
Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:30 am
8) This black fellow i new played a strat at woodstock he said J ACK PLAYY IT LIKE YOU HATE IT ,AND CLOSE YOUR EYES AN ENJOY .tHE SECOND THING WAS IF YOU CANT FIND THE NOTE ,PICK A STRING AND BEND THE sh*t OUT OF IT YOULL GET THEIR.AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I STILL HEAR RED HOUSE HOPE THIS HELPS jACK....

#203562 by RAPA
Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm
:arrow: 8) With Blues - If you can't see it - you can't play it. Don't matter how technical you get. Too many people today think they know how to play Blues with high tech gear and chords that require Einstein to figure out. Ain't so Jack. Keep it simple and play from the heart.

#203567 by PaperDog
Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm
RAPA wrote::arrow: 8) With Blues - If you can't see it - you can't play it. Don't matter how technical you get. Too many people today think they know how to play Blues with high tech gear and chords that require Einstein to figure out. Ain't so Jack. Keep it simple and play from the heart.

Sage words of wisdom... I totally agree.
#207494 by Bassdiety
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:56 am
If you want to learn it, the key word is learn. It's music. You learn it by listening to it. You can't listen if you're playing it first. Listen. That's how you learned to talk, by listening to your parents, older siblings, people around the neighborhood, etc.
So it is with the Blues, Listen at clubs, to records(ok CD's or mpg's..) watch you tube. But listen. Then you start to copy what you heard. The more blues that you listen to, the more blues licks that you will hopefully add to your vocabulary. When you can sound like whomever, when ever, it will be because you listened to the greats enough, that you captured their soul. At some point, it will become your soul. You cannot repeat what you did not hear. You look like your parents because you have their genes. You will sound like your idols because you will have their genes too.....sort of. You only have two parents, but you can have many musical genes...that way you won't sound too much like one
parent
Just listen. When you become good, you'll even repeat stuff that you though you didn't like. That can be the curse..if there is one.