This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#19159 by Strictly Business rock
Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 am
I'd have to go with celticpiping, Amazing Grace is truly one of the songs that pretty much everyone knows and has provided comfort in hard times for many generations.
But with all the songs and genre's of music its truly tough to consider any one song the greatest song.

But as for more modern rock songs, I'd have to say November rain or Stairway to heaven are way up on my list.

#19209 by HowlinJ
Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13 pm
Dannyboy ?

I seen "Badfinger" in the"accustically perfect'' East Stroudsburg high school auditorium in the early 70's!

Their "Greatest " song was (ironically) "Perfection".

#19210 by Greeniemagic
Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:49 pm
I've spoke to Bob Jackson a couple of times, he joined "Badfinger" in about 74..Nice bloke. He was in a band before that from Coventry called "Indian Summer" and they supported "Black Sabbath" at a gig in Cov and apparently blew them away, they were that good. They were only around for a short time though!!!

#19212 by HowlinJ
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 pm
Greenie,
I seem to recall that "Sir Paul" was a force behind "Badfinger".
Any truth to that?

J

#19633 by leeolsen
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:17 am
Guitaranatomy wrote:
leeolsen wrote:Hands down has to be Layla from Derek and the Dominoes...

It is a great song, just freaks me out with that quick change in key in the middle. One minute it is this tough sounding song the next it is all sad, lol.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

The change at the end was a Tom Dowd (engineer) masterpiece. The way he blended two seperate pieces of music was in my opinion genius. There are small subtlties to the playing and dynamics of the notes. If you listen closely in headphones you'll hear it much better. The interplay between clapton and duane allman was just incredible. They didnt step on one another and they actually made the guitar sound as if it were weeping.

After all, it is a song about losing someone. Same with Bell Bottom Blues. Oh man, how I love the classics.

#19636 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 am
LeeOlsen, any song Clapton made with Duane Allman, or by himself, was genius. They are all technically arranged and have a great flow about them. Listen to Badge, that song rocked, I still have to learn that one actually, lol.

I am not a major blues fan, but there are certain blues pieces that really can strike the heart. That includes certain jazz pieces, got to love "Take Five."

#19759 by TheJilted
Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:36 am
I don't think there is just one greatest song

a lot play into the greatest song mood, temperature, polotics, and romance. I have favorite songs, one might stand out more but it's not my favortite nor do I think it's the best song......disarm by smashing pumpkins

#19831 by Faultline 29
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:23 am
Stairway To Heaven anyone? I cant beleive noones said it.

#19843 by rcandrews
Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 pm
With the songs listed I am going with "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". I wrote a tribute to this song as I was moved by it so much when I finally figured out the beauty of its simplicity of chords/notes/progression. Not too mention Judy's incredible tone and manner with her delivery of the vocal.

And as far as contemporary heavy metal goes Randy is and was the man, hands down. Ozzy was a lucky songwriter to have such huge talent at his side. Also I do believe according to RS (1985) placed Randy at #12 of all time best guitarists. 12 out of a million isn't shabby eh? RS of recent years has become about as reliable as the National Enquirer but back in the day RS was pretty spot on.

But my own personal favorite is "Mid-Night Special" by Huddie Leadbetter or "Good Night Irene" he also happens to be my favorite songwriter of all time Next to John Prine so there's that too :mrgreen:

And yes this topic is very subjective :wink:

Peace,
Rob

#19856 by RhythmMan
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:52 pm
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was slated to be removed from "The Wizard of OZ," movie, because the producers thought it was too long.
Someone voiced an objection, and they won.
So we all won.

#20491 by iralarry
Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 am
jimmydanger wrote:I've heard that The Beatle's "Yesterday" is the most covered song in history. I've also heard people like Burt Bacharach call it the greatest song ever written. I myself have recorded a cover of it and play it live occasionally and I always get a positive reaction. I don't believe there can be any such thing as one greatest song, but if I've got two cents that's it.

Sooo sorry, but Besame Mucho a Mexican song written in 1940 by Consuelo Velázquez before her sixteenth birthday. It is factually the most covered song on planet earth. Nearly every latin singer has covered it, that thousands right there. Great song BTW.

For me the greatest song is the one I can revisit a hundred times and never tired of it. It must pack emotional punch lyrically and have a dynamite melody. I would have to say, and you will not expect this, but, "Somewhere" from West Side Story, is the greatest song ever written. It is not all about rock and roll. Until all you young turks learn that, you are all just a bunch of guitarists or drummers or vocalists, or what have you. You can consider yourselves musicians when you know all music, from classical to rock to country to jazz, yes, jazz, the best music of all time. What you play came from what was before it; you owe your appreciation to people who are dead now, never forget it.

#20516 by jimmydanger
Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:41 pm
By covered I meant recorded. I'm sure many songs are in the running for being frequently covered live, from "The Hokey Pokey" to "Takin' Care of Business".

#20518 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm
I got one that has not been covered yet live, "MMMbop" by The Hansons, lmao. I should make a metal version of that, that would be hysterical.

#20523 by scarletrust
Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 pm
It's a toss up.
Either "Baby Got Back" or "Afternoon Delight"
Maybe "Straight Outta Compton" or "Feelings" (nothing more than feelings)
:lol:

You're kidding, right? Seriously, this is impossible to answer. It's too subjective. Are we talking pop, rock, jazz, country, the entire history of music? To me the greatest songs, or pieces of music ever written aren't even from the 20th (or 21st) century.

#20534 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 pm
I think a more appropriate spin on this thread would be selecting what you think is the greatest song written by the bands you're into. For instance, I don't really dig Metallica anymore but TO THIS DAY, I still think the song "One" is an absolute masterpiece.

Metallica: One

Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Heaven (Cliche, yes, but the song is still an absolute masterpiece)

Rush: Too many masterpieces as I am familiar with every song in their entire discography but I would say The Camera Eye is a song that always seems to be a notch above to me.

Dream Theater: A Change of Seasons. One HUGE genius epic.

Etc., etc., etc.

Start listing your favorite bands and try to hone in on a favorite song for each band!

-Stephen